England Vs Scotland - Friday 18th June, 8pm.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really disagree here. Foden all season has been nothing but exceptional. Yday he was well below par.

Kane I've seen it before he goes missing in big games way to often. It's why I've always said nobody has bought him yet I love Kane to bits and he's everything we needed at spurs for so many years but at the very highest level when the games matter most he hasn't delivered throughout his career. I'd love to see a stat on the amount of match winners Kane has got for us and the teams he's done it against. Always felt like Son, Alli, Eriksen, Lucas were the match winners in the big games throughout the years.

The defence yday played well, midfield decent. Mount is a very good player and the lack of creativity seemed to be more down to him than Foden going off. Foden was lively but just lacked on the ball yday. Sterling did OK but at times takes too much sting out the build up.

It was a game of attackers not doing their bit for me yday the rest of England played well for me.

We'll agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, he's capable of much more. But I thought he was far from awful. One of our problems is we're not getting the ball to him anything like enough, and while the likes of Rice and Phillips are both playing, and playing extremely safe, that will continue to happen.

That's also true, and we are equipped to play that way with the full backs we have. Hold the centre and attack from the flanks. Not necessarily how I want us to play, but we have the players for it. Was surprising how subdued James and Shaw were.

With James I could understand it a little last night as Robertson and Tierney on their left will cause anyone problems if they play well.

Outside of Kane not performing our biggest issue right now, for me, is Rice/Phillips. Against sides we should be beating they should never play together. And Rice needs to move the ball much more quickly and positively, as he regularly does for West Ham. But together they slow things down for us far too much, and it sets the tempo for the whole game. We are crying out for Jude Bellingham.

Rice's Maradona moment...
E4OY6qqWUAIzVvJ

After watching bits of it again ( glutton for punishment) we were so slow to the ball,didn't complete for the second ball and totally toothless up top.
The two holding midfield players is a head scratcher, its not like we were playing Brazil...

We'll agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, he's capable of much more. But I thought he was far from awful. One of our problems is we're not getting the ball to him anything like enough, and while the likes of Rice and Phillips are both playing, and playing extremely safe, that will continue to happen.
Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh ill not watch it again so I'm open to me being wrong lol

There's the saying somewhere about defenses winning you titles. That's 2 clean sheets now whatever way you look at it and gets you through if you keep another in the next match.

IMO, Kane needs a man behind him making runs towards the goal from more central areas. Mount is more the creative player that likes to create from the central area and feed the attacker or wingers with through balls. The squad up to the front 4 in sterling mount Foden and Kane are very well balanced and working well. The attack is lacking fluidity.

Its a really tough puzzle and quite like the lampard, Gerrard era midfield where you have these quality players, including on the bench, but you need to make brave decisions on who works best together for the team. The easiest attackers to put on the bench currently are so based on least amount of pushback from fans and media etc. Totally agree with the view hes playing it safe but from a different viewpoint.

If I made the decision, I'd be trying Mount with Rashford upfront. Foden and Sterling either side. I think Foden and Mount are the 2 that need to start.

Trying Sancho instead of Sterling, despite me thinking Sterling well, and Rashford over Kane wouldn't be a bad look either.

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh ill not watch it again so I'm open to me being wrong lol

There's the saying somewhere about defenses winning you titles. That's 2 clean sheets now whatever way you look at it and gets you through if you keep another in the next match.

IMO, Kane needs a man behind him making runs towards the goal from more central areas. Mount is more the creative player that likes to create from the central area and feed the attacker or wingers with through balls. The squad up to the front 4 in sterling mount Foden and Kane are very well balanced and working well. The attack is lacking fluidity.

Its a really tough puzzle and quite like the lampard, Gerrard era midfield where you have these quality players, including on the bench, but you need to make brave decisions on who works best together for the team. The easiest attackers to put on the bench currently are so based on least amount of pushback from fans and media etc. Totally agree with the view hes playing it safe but from a different viewpoint.

If I made the decision, I'd be trying Mount with Rashford upfront. Foden and Sterling either side. I think Foden and Mount are the 2 that need to start.

Trying Sancho instead of Sterling, despite me thinking Sterling well, and Rashford over Kane wouldn't be a bad look either.

Agree with a lot there, but Rashford is woeful as a lone striker. It might be worth trying him and Kane up top together which should help Kane, but that means completely changing formation and Southgate won't do that.

It's not rocket science what we need to do. We need to drop either Rice or Phillips, play Bellingham, and actually use Sancho who is extremely direct. Even if that means dropping Foden for the time being. One of Bellingham's biggest strengths is that when he's on the ball, he's looking ahead, not sideways or towards his own goal. He will lose the ball sometimes but that doesn't stop him wanting it and won't stop him trying to make things happen.

Pickford

Walker/Trippier
Maguire
Stones
Chilwell

Henderson
Bellingham
Mount

Grealish
Sancho
Kane

I'd like to see something like that against the Czech's. It's important we get some football into the legs of Maguire and Henderson, so both start. I'd persevere with Harry as one goal could make all the difference for him. Class is permanent, form is temporary. That will never change.

I had an inkling all week that we would drew last nights game. That's why I predicted 1-1 when everyone else seemed to be saying that England would run up a cricket score. My early inkling for next week's game is that we'll find a performance on Tuesday and beat the Czech's by 2 or 3, and everyone will be much more positive again.

After watching bits of it again ( glutton for punishment) we were so slow to the ball,didn't complete for the second ball and totally toothless up top.
The two holding midfield players is a head scratcher, its not like we were playing Brazil...

When/if we play France how many DMs then? 3....4...?

In the 1990 World Cup we also started badly with two draws but Bobby Robson worked with the squad and changed formation to produce a team which could have won it. He went from flat back four to play a three with wing backs. It gave Gasgoine space to express himself and in the semi against Germany we were really unlucky among several chances I remember Waddle hitting the woodwork with a thunderbolt. So has Southgate got the tactical know how and bottle to fashion a great team from our great players? I doubt it. We are doomed to lose at the first knockout stage imo

Just watched the highlights from last nights game…Scotland’s players and fans celebrating at the end as if they had actually won the Euros, contrast that with England whose players and fans looked as though they had just lost at home to Gibraltar 😳

I wonder if Gary is considering dropping Kane to the bench from the start for the next game. I never ever thought he would dare bring him off like he did last night so anything is possible now. No more Harry Gary lovin'!!

Just watched the highlights from last nights game…Scotland’s players and fans celebrating at the end as if they had actually won the Euros, contrast that with England whose players and fans looked as though they had just lost at home to Gibraltar 😳

Can't wait to see Croatia knock them out on their own turf.

Paolo Di Canio: "Scotland played theirs, an excellent match for what are their qualities," Di Canio began. "England are a group of great talents put together but without identity in the game, with two cumbersome playmakers, without any inventiveness, without any through ball. When the midfielders don't make passes, the central defense should intervene, but there is no front. it was the movement that favored these situations ".

"England are a group of great talents put together but without identity "

......To be expected when you fuck around in the warm-up games with 4RBs ("I'd take more if I could" !?!?!) and players that weren't even in the squad.

The best thing about yesterday was that tens of thousands of Scots descended upon London and, despite centuries of economic rape by England, there were literally zero disturbances or instances of anti-social behaviour.

Paolo Di Canio: "Scotland played theirs, an excellent match for what are their qualities," Di Canio began. "England are a group of great talents put together but without identity in the game, with two cumbersome playmakers, without any inventiveness, without any through ball. When the midfielders don't make passes, the central defense should intervene, but there is no front. it was the movement that favored these situations ".
Hard to argue with that.

Back
Top Bottom