***England V Czech Rep 22/06/2021***

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think people are under-rating the Czech's a fair bit. They've beaten some good sides over the last year or two. I saw them play Belgium in a World Cup qualifier in March and they were much the better side in a 1-1 draw. We just beat them pretty comfortably without ever having to go up another gear. Not spectacular but certainly solid. Some people need to give their heads a bit of a wobble.

Would have been nice to see this fabled extra gear exhibited in the last 3 games. If Gary thinks we can just switch it on when it's crunch time then we're on a hiding to disappointment

Kane
Would have been nice to see this fabled extra gear exhibited in the last 3 games. If Gary thinks we can just switch it on when it's crunch time then we're on a hiding to disappointment

Well teams generally only go up a gear when they really need to. We didn't need to against Croatia or against these tonight. There's no getting away from the fact that it was a poor performance against Scotland but there aren't many teams in the competition that haven't had a dodgy game in the group stage. France have. Germany have. Portugal have. Spain have hardly shone...

I would have liked us to play at a higher tempo tonight in the second half, don't get me wrong. But at no point did I think we weren't not going to win the game. The players did enough. If this was an old Germany side everyone would be complimenting them on how efficient they are and that they will step it up when they really need to. Pretty sure our guys will know as much as you or I myself do that they'll now need to find an extra gear or two.

Last edited:
We've not played against 1 decent striker yet...... There's been a few wasted oppo chances in each game.

Schick has been one of the most in form strikers in the tournament until tonight. Stones and Maguire didn't give him a sniff, and it wasn't because he's not decent.

Kane

Well teams generally only go up a gear when they really need to. We didn't need to against Croatia or against these tonight. There's no getting away from the fact that it was a poor performance against Scotland but there aren't many teams in the competition that haven't had a dodgy game in the group stage. France have. Germany have. Portugal have. Spain have hardly shone...

I would have liked us to play at a higher tempo tonight in the second half, don't get me wrong. But at no point did I think we weren't not going to win the game. The players did enough. If this was an old Germany side everyone would be complimenting them on how efficient they are and that they will step it up when they really need to. Pretty sure our guys will know as much as you or I myself do that they'll now need to find an extra gear or two.

Again; I would like to have seen this gear whether it was outright needed or not..... Tonight ought to have been that night.

Again; I would like to have seen this gear whether it was outright needed or not..... Tonight ought to have been that night.

Why though? You only get 3 points whether you comfortably see out a 1-0 or expend more energy and perhaps win by 1 or 2 more if you're lucky.

We all want to see goals, but at no point did the Czech's really go for it in the second half as they know they would have perhaps got ripped a new arse-hole on the counter had they had tried to. We were happy enough with 1-0 and they seemed content to lose by one goal in the hope that they might scramble something from somewhere.

Schick has been one of the most in form strikers in the tournament until tonight. Stones and Maguire didn't give him a sniff, and it wasn't because he's not decent.

Point is a better finisher could have punished us in any of our games so far. Getting big bollocks about our defense and lack of chances conceded is very premature. A whole other level of threat awaits us

Point is a better finisher could have punished us in any of our games so far. Getting big bollocks about our defense and lack of chances conceded is very premature. A whole other level of threat awaits us

If, buts and maybe's. The facts are we haven't conceded a goal yet. Over the three games Pickford hasn't had more than a handful of saves to make. We obviously will concede at some point now we're facing the best sides, but that's so obvious that it's barely worth mentioning.

You can say the exact same thing about the Italian defense, the Spanish defense etc.

Why though? You only get 3 points whether you comfortably see out a 1-0 or expend more energy and perhaps win by 1 or 2 more if you're lucky.

We all want to see goals, but at no point did the Czech's really go for it in the second half as they know they would have perhaps got ripped a new arse-hole on the counter had they had tried to. We were happy enough with 1-0 and they seemed content to lose by one goal in the hope that they might scramble something from somewhere.

Why?

...Momentum.

....To prove to the lads that they do indeed have it in them.

...To send a message to other teams.

Did you hear Gary after the match? He said we went 3 in MF to ensure we didn't get over-run.... He evidently didn't think CZ had the handbrake on and posed little concern.

If, buts and maybe's. The facts are we haven't conceded a goal yet. Over the three games Pickford hasn't had more than a handful of saves to make. We obviously will concede at some point now we're facing the best sides, but that's so obvious that it's barely worth mentioning.

You can say the exact same thing about the Italian defense, the Spanish defense etc.

I responded to a comment about how few saves Pickford has made; my point was all the most dangerous chances were put wide over over.....

It IS worth noting.

Why?

...Momentum.

Did you hear Gary after the match? He said we went 3 in MF to ensure we didn't get over-run.... He evidently didn't think CZ had the handbrake on and posed little concern.

We've not lost, haven't conceded and finished top of a decent group despite not playing at the level we should be capable of yet. If that's not decent enough momentum I don't know what is.

Face it, you're one of them that won't be content unless you see three or four goals a game.

I responded to a comment about how few saves Pickford has made; my point was all the most dangerous chances were put wide over over.....

It IS worth noting.

So what. That's football. They created a couple of decent chances because they have a pretty good team. That's why they've beaten some top sides over the last couple of years. Because without being anything like among the favourites, they are actually pretty good. As are Croatia. Very few teams will play them and dominate for the whole of the 90 minutes, or win by a few.

Why?

...Momentum.

Gary Neville is a wanker mate, it's not a secret.

So what. That's football. They created a couple of decent chances because they have a pretty good team. That's why they've beaten some top sides over the last couple of years. Because without being anything like among the favourites, they are actually pretty good. As are Croatia. Very few teams will play them and dominate for the whole of the 90 minutes, or win by a few.

I was talking about all 3 matches: hence the general point about better strikers.

I'm not saying anything outrageous here mate..... You doth protest too much.

We've not lost, haven't conceded and finished top of a decent group despite not playing at the level we should be capable of yet. If that's not decent enough momentum I don't know what is.

Face it, you're one of them that won't be content unless you see three or four goals a game.

You're still taking for granted a "level"/"gear" we have yet to experience.....

Lazily pidgeon-holing me like that is a silly over-reaction to the reasonable point I am putting to you.

You're still taking for granted a "level"/"gear" we have yet to experience.....

Lazily pidgeon-holing me like that is a silly over-reaction to the reasonable point I am putting to you.
If I were an England fan, the thing that would really concern me is the inability to generate a decent volume of quality chances. I read they have something like 7 SOG in their first 3 matches. They have no clear attacking strategy and aside from a few short stretches in matches, don't really look all that dangerous.

It's sort of like periods for us under Jose where we were getting results without generating many chances, when those chances dried up or we played quality opposition, we really struggled.

It'd be one thing to say, sure, we've only scored 2 goals but we've had a lot of chances and it's only a matter of time for them to start going in. That's not the case though. England are barely generating chances and it seems strange to me people would think they would start doing that as the quality of opposition increases.

Kane

Fair post.

It presumes we can and will get better but it could happen.

No team has yet looked invincible but 3 or 4 teams have also definitely looked bettee than we have.

We do possess a surplus of sparky players though, so it may just need a fuse.

Back
Top Bottom