Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
Bit of a false dichotomy? Mou ball was certainly appalling to watch but I would like us to be effective as well.

Poch’s football at its peak was the best I have seen personally but even that was an effective press rather than all-out attack. That was more Harry (which I really enjoyed too).

Poch at his best I would welcome with both arms, I would rather pay £100 to watch that than £60 to watch rubbish. Joseball was some of the worst pile of crap I have watched as a Spurs fan, it was often cowardly sitting deep and scared against teams from the bottom half, we looked better under Mason.

We still have a team of decent attacking players, there is no reasons we can’t build an exciting team with an attacking coach and a half decent transfer window to fix the defence.

I think that the preferred style ebbs and flows but at no time does pragmatic, negative football automatically bring results that is the point I am making.

It often comes up in the Potter arguments and in the past of the Jose arguments where people would say do you want to win or play nice as though if you played an attractive brand of football you couldn't win or if you play negative that you get results that is what I am arguing against the idea that some have that if you are against Nuno you want style over results. I don't want Nuno, and didn't want Jose, because they have a terrible style and don't bring results either.

Many Nuno supporters I have see are trying to make it a style vs. results argument when that is not the case at all.
Plenty of defensive sides over the years have won things. Do your research.

Nothing is a guarantee in football. Attacking football doesn't guarantee trophies, defensive football doesn't guarantee trophies but both styles can result in trophies depending on a multitude of factors.

Nothing is a guarantee in football. Attacking football doesn't guarantee trophies, defensive football doesn't guarantee trophies but both styles can result in trophies depending on a multitude of factors.

No be we are not any team are we. Every time we have tried a defensive manager it has failed and Spurs fans (at least the match day going ones) have a very low tolerance for boring football. Even if you ain’t getting the results decent football buys you more time with the fans. Other clubs fans are different in expectation.

With the state of the club I don’t expect any trophies but to have that plus crap football is a terrible product. If you are not pushing for the title you can at least get fans off their seats.

I never said they didn't win things. Read what is actually written rather than just crying.

unfortunetly nuno is about the level we will get with our owners big spending managers like jose or conte do not fit us waste of money jose was .No way are we getting rid of all are bang average players any time soon so we will have to grin and bear it .Hopefully if it is nuno he proves me well wrong and gets a tune out of this squad with a couple of signings that surprise us by doing better than expected .

I hate the idea that there is some sort of play nice football or win. The top teams play the best football. Pragmatic, negative coaches like Nuno and Jose aren't winning shit. The argument that has been made recently about "oh you would rather play nice than win" when it comes to Jose and Nuno is such shit because Nuno and Jose do not bring winning.

Simeone though, look at the success of his team and they are very defensive, especially for a 'top' side.

Simeone though, look at the success of his team and they are very defensive, especially for a 'top' side.

But Simone isn't like Jose or Nuno, his team control the game with their style. He doesn't have them sitting back and praying like Jose and Nuno do. He also seems to have had MFers that can play the ball so they aren't just reliant on individuals to create all the offense, when you watch AM you can see a plan when they are attacking. Yes, Simone is defensive minded but he is much, much different to the approach that Nuno and Jose take.

But Simone isn't like Jose or Nuno, his team control the game with their style. He doesn't have them sitting back and praying like Jose and Nuno do. He also seems to have had MFers that can play the ball so they aren't just reliant on individuals to create all the offense, when you watch AM you can see a plan when they are attacking. Yes, Simone is defensive minded but he is much, much different to the approach that Nuno and Jose take.
As you say, he is defensive minded and his team are very pragmatic. Their possession stats are on the lower side for a 'top' team (probably similar to Conte's teams in that respect, I'm just guessing though).

So pragmatic, defensive football can still definitely be successful. I'd be alright with Simeone winning the league for us, as I get a lot more joy watching Spurs win 1-0 than lose 5-3, that includes going to live games or watching on the telly.

I do agree with the others though, if we are gonna be shit, I'd rather be shit and attack. Defensive football is only acceptable if you do what Simeone does and win big prizes. I bet Atletico fans love him.

I'd imagine Nuno would want Conor Coady as one of his first signings

You are right but hopefully he wouldn't get it, he is not very good at all. Maybe Neto would be good from Wolves but that is about it.

It doesn't really matter as Mendes controls the transfers not Nuno so unlikely he will have much say in whether guys come over from Wolves or not.

I’ve just changed my vote to yes, not because I think he’s the right manager for us but because we are so close to the pre season and we really need a manager right now.

Can’t let this farce go on any longer.

In many ways, the defensive football will continue and I hate the 3 at the back formation but I reckon Nuno will be more successful than that twat who fucked off to Roma.

Back
Top Bottom