England vs. Germany June 29th 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Feel Southgate has built a very solid defensive base. However I don't have much faith in him if his team go behind first, given how defensive his set up is. If there is a game where he goes behind and they come back to win then I will be sold. Otherwise, I just think it is all that little bit too negative. It's a shame England have so much attacking talent and he just won't use it.

It’s good when a manager who is also a very nice person turns out to be the smartest guy in a very noisy room.

Won the group
Unbeaten
3 wins from 4
No goals conceded.
1st knockout win vs Germany in 55yrs
Into the 1/4 finals
Yeah, but Sterling has been playing crap, Kane is tired, Tripps is Champo standard and Southgate doesn't know what he is doing.
It's despite those players and the manager we got through. :rolleyes:

Feel Southgate has built a very solid defensive base. However I don't have much faith in him if his team go behind first, given how defensive his set up is. If there is a game where he goes behind and they come back to win then I will be sold. Otherwise, I just think it is all that little bit too negative. It's a shame England have so much attacking talent and he just won't use it.
This is all true but if it wins them the euros, nobody will give a fuck.

He has a clear game plan at least, and it’s been relatively effective so far.

Alright as a neutral you probably wouldn’t pick to watch it for entertainment value, but if it wins the tournament, few can argue.

This England team is like France 3 years ago. We didn't need to go full-on attacking because France was most of the time in front, however when it was required to go attacking, as in v Argentina and Croatia, France had the power to destroy teams. I fully believe England won't have any problems if they fall behind.

This is important

We've come through a difficult group and an incredibly difficult last 16 and our star man has averaged probably a 6

If he gets back on form to a 7 or 8 then God knows what can happen.

If we make it to the final we're gonna be playing either Italy or Spain, in my opinion. We'll need everyone to give 8 out of 10 performances if we're to win the thing.

There's still a lot to improve on but what I like most about this England team is that you can leave out 3, 4 or 5 high quality players and yet still have enough to beat good teams. Today there was no Foden or Mount. Two wonderful talents. No Sancho or Bellingham again. No Chilwell or James, both world-class full-backs...

If we make it to the final we're gonna be playing either Italy or Spain, in my opinion. We'll need everyone to give 8 out of 10 performances if we're to win the thing.

There's still a lot to improve on but what I like most about this England team is that you can leave out 3 or 4 high quality players and yet still have enough to beat good teams. Today there was no Foden or Mount. Two wonderful talent. No Sancho or Bellingham again. No Chilwell or James, both world-class full-backs. ..
It would be great to have everyone peak at the same time.

I'd say the next game is the trickiest so far..... Away from home on the back of a fantastic result........ Just 3 days rest.

Need everyone to stay grounded and focused on the job.

Our best performance has come against the toughest opponent so we need to keep the intensity up.

He hasn't really needed to use it. Excluding the game against Scotland we've won all the game quite comfortably before today. Doing enough. We have one of the best benches in the tournament and I have no doubt it will be used if it needs to be.

He hasn't really needed to use it. Excluding the game against Scotland we've won all the game quite comfortably before today. Doing enough. We have one of the best benches in the tournament and I have no doubt it will be used if it needs to be.
That's also something we've never had before......

To have a bench of Foden, Grealish, Mount, Rashford, Sancho and others is really some strength that we've never had before.

It would be great to have everyone peak at the same time.

I'd say the next game is the trickiest so far..... Away from home on the back of a fantastic result........ Just 3 days rest.

Need everyone to stay grounded and focused on the job.

Our best performance has come against the toughest opponent so we need to keep the intensity up.

I think Mount and Foden will come back in. Probably both full-backs will be changed if we go 4-3-3. Or at least one of them. Can always play Henderson from the start now if he feels Rice or Phillips need a rest. I think there'll be enough changes to really freshen up the team without going crazy, so we should be fine for Saturday. It will be more about making sure you aren't a little complacent after such a historic win than anything else I think. But under Southgate, for all of his faults, I don't see that happening.

For sure, I agree with that. However on another day Muller takes that chance and maybe we aren't all praising him? I just think you can't take one result and go from doubting him to thinking he's good. Too many unknowns.

I think Mount and Foden will come back in. Probably both full-backs will be changed if we go 4-3-3. Or at least one of them. Can always play Henderson from the start now if he feels Rice or Phillips need a rest. I think there'll be enough changes to really freshen up the team without going crazy, so we should be fine for Saturday. It will be more about making sure you aren't a little complacent after such a historic win than anything else I think. But under Southgate, for all of his faults, I don't see that happening.
We've also navigated the tricky yellows for Foden, Rice et al as they all get cleared after the quarter final so no one will be under pressure to not get booked in the quarter final on Saturday.

For sure, I agree with that. However on another day Muller takes that chance and maybe we aren't all praising him? I just think you can't take one result and go from doubting him to thinking he's good. Too many unknowns.

Speaking for myself I've always said that Southgate, all in all, has done a wonderful job. But it's clear to see we can get better in the final third. And it's not wrong to say he's very much a defending first mentality sort of manager. But I'd take beating the top sides by 1 or 2 than losing 2-3 or 3-4 in thrilling contests all day long. Let the other nations provide the entertainment from a footballing perspective, like yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom