England vs. Ukraine July 3rd 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we will go 3 at the back again. Playing a back 4, we did give up a few chances v Scotland, look way more solid with the back 3 I think. I'd pick the same team but bring in Grealish for Saka. Grealish seems to open things up for Kane. Sterling provides the pace and is finding the net.

If we do, the WBs will need to be so much more aggressive. Otherwise if Ukraine sit in, it'll be a slow painful night with only 3 outright attackers to break them down.

I think we will go 3 at the back again. Playing a back 4, we did give up a few chances v Scotland, look way more solid with the back 3 I think. I'd pick the same team but bring in Grealish for Saka. Grealish seems to open things up for Kane. Sterling provides the pace and is finding the net.
either way, Grealish Kane & Sterling HAVE to play.

Back to a 4-2-3-1 I'd imagine, but I don't think both Rice and Phillips start just because they are both on a yellow. Possibly Henderson to start next to Phillips with Mount coming back in at the 10. Sterling and Kane both start, obviously, then it's between Foden/Saka/Grealish/Sancho for the last spot.
If they get a yellow against Ukraine, it gets wiped right so that means a booking in the semi means they won't miss the final so I'd play them as a yellow won't matter

England aren't dropping Kane full stop. If he gets knackered they'll bring him off in the second half of games, but there's no way he's not starting if he's fit. The Ukraine game will be a good opportunity for him to find his better form now that he has the confidence a goal will bring.

England should beat Ukraine but the latter aren't mugs. You don't drop important players in Quarter-finals regardless of who you're playing just to give them a rest. That's the kind of complacency that loses you games you should win.
You don't drop the league's golden boot winner and assists unless he's injured. He isn't so I don't know why everyone keeps harping on about it.

If they get a yellow against Ukraine, it gets wiped right so that means a booking in the semi means they won't miss the final so I'd play them as a yellow won't matter
As I understand it, if Rice & Phillips get a yellow against Ukraine they'd miss the semi if we get there.

Confused Confusion GIF by Megan Batoon
But it's only Ukraine! We can't beat Ukraine with DCL playing?

As I understand it, if Rice & Phillips get a yellow against Ukraine they'd miss the semi if we get there.
mummy mummy 1 @ Ginolaflair 0

Article 52.05
Single cautions from matches in the final tournament expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals.

Does this mean a player cannot be banned for the final as a result of two yellow cards picked up during the course of the final tournament?

Correct. The slate is wiped clean after the quarter-finals, meaning a player can only be suspended for the final if they receive a red card in the semi-finals.

There's no evidence for me that Grealish can only be an impact sub for England. He deserves to start ahead of Foden/Saka based on his contribution in the few minutes he has had.

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Henderson Phillips
Sterling Mount Grealish
Kane
This isn't the game to sit back for 70 mins and have a late push. The longer we go without scoring the more confident Ukraine become.

We need to go for it from the start and Grealish will be that difference maker.

mummy mummy 1 @ Ginolaflair 0

Article 52.05
Single cautions from matches in the final tournament expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals.

Does this mean a player cannot be banned for the final as a result of two yellow cards picked up during the course of the final tournament?

Correct. The slate is wiped clean after the quarter-finals, meaning a player can only be suspended for the final if they receive a red card in the semi-finals.
Not written very clearly is it?

There's no evidence for me that Grealish can only be an impact sub for England. He deserves to start ahead of Foden/Saka based on his contribution in the few minutes he has had.

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Henderson Phillips
Sterling Mount Grealish
Kane
This isn't the game to sit back for 70 mins and have a late push. The longer we go without scoring the more confident Ukraine become.

We need to go for it from the start and Grealish will be that difference maker.

That's a great looking team. I'd be more than happy to see that against Ukraine. I think we'll have too much pace and movement for them to handle over the 90.

Grealish is an international novice. He tired badly v the Czechs as Saka did yesterday.
I would use them both as subs rather than starters.

Grealish is an international novice. He tired badly v the Czechs as Saka did yesterday.
I would use them both as subs rather than starters.

He does generally tire in the second half but that doesn't mean he's not capable of starting. Foden is a perfect replacement for him when he does start to fade.

This England team is nowhere near as stupid as that England team was under Hodgson. Have a much better mentality and team spirit. England lost that game because they thought it was won before a ball was kicked, but were soon surprised by how tenacious and organized Iceland actually were. And then spent most of the game in a haze not knowing what to do.

But in football just about anything can happen.
Agreed and I think we have had that moment in this tournament already v Scotland. No complacency at all going forward.

Back
Top Bottom