Fabio Paratici

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Paratici showing once again that he is a terrible hire.

It is funny to see some trying to defend it as "fans wanted a DOF so you have to be happy we have one." I don't think anyone wanted a moron as a DOF. Just hiring some fool to take the role doesn't mean people should be happy.
Why is he such a terrible hire?

Why is he such a terrible hire?

Because of his history at Juventus in terms of the types of moves they made under him, his lack of success without Marotta, they way he has handled the managerial search, his constant need to talk/leak things to the press and the rumoured players we are looking at.

There is literally zero positives we can look at when it comes to him. His strengths and success at Juventus do not line up with the type of club that we are. Levy has even doubled down on that recently.

Because of his history at Juventus in terms of the types of moves they made under him, his lack of success without Marotta, they way he has handled the managerial search, his constant need to talk/leak things to the press and the rumoured players we are looking at.

There is literally zero positives we can look at when it comes to him. His strengths and success at Juventus do not line up with the type of club that we are. Levy has even doubled down on that recently.
Juve made all types of moves whilst he was there, free transfers, young players, older players, massive fees. What's the problem?

The managerial search was restricted by parameters set by Levy. Paratici offered Conte on a plate but Levy baulked at the cost of success, after that it was clear we would end up with someone prepared to put up with financial restrictions and working with what is already at the club. Same applies to the players we are linked with. If the policy is sell to buy then we are not competing with the top clubs for big players on the market

Juve made all types of moves whilst he was there, free transfers, young players, older players, massive fees. What's the problem?

The managerial search was restricted by parameters set by Levy. Paratici offered Conte on a plate but Levy baulked at the cost of success, after that it was clear we would end up with someone prepared to put up with financial restrictions and working with what is already at the club. Same applies to the players we are linked with. If the policy is sell to buy then we are not competing with the top clubs for big players on the market

They did not make many moves for quality young players. The biggest ones De Ligt and Pogba were massive deals with Raiola that Levy will not go for.

His best moves was using the pull and financial spending of Juve to bring in guys on big wages, something again that Levy will not do.

There are no parameters in which Fonseca, Gattuso or Nuno should have been viable options to bring in. Coupled with his two managerial hires at Juve without Marotta it shows a pattern of terrible managerial decisions.

Paratici told Sky in Italy: "Keeping him is not just my goal, it's our goal as a club"

It's a goal, an ambition, it's not a "no, Harry will not be sold". Paratici knows, he has been in the game long enough that anything is possible

Did he do the interview in Italian?
Does the word 'goal' have the same literal translations?

The word 'goal' translates to 'obbiettivo', which translates back to 'objective'.

Surely you have to give him the benefit of some time at our club to make any judgement. Firstly lets see what he does this transfer window.

Criticising him for the manager search also seems harsh as you have absolutely no knowledge of the constraints he was asked to recruit under and as it is so new, exactly how this DoF system is working yet in our club. Yes we all read the rumours about different managers but none of us know for sure why different ones didn't work out.

Surely you have to give him the benefit of some time at our club to make any judgement. Firstly lets see what he does this transfer window.

Criticising him for the manager search also seems harsh as you have absolutely no knowledge of the constraints he was asked to recruit under and as it is so new, exactly how this DoF system is working yet in our club. Yes we all read the rumours about different managers but none of us know for sure why different ones didn't work out.

I think we can look at his background and make judgements on his fit here, otherwise we could hire any random off the street and say it was a good hire because they need time.

I have a hard time seeing any constraints that would have the top 3 candidates be Fonseca, Gattuso and Nuno.

I didn't imply any such thing that you are claiming. We've been here before mate, I suggest that it's how you read the post that's the issue. Go back and read it again, it's clear what I've said and if there was any confusion, subsequent posts should clear it up for you. If it's still not clear then suggest you reread again, it's not my fault you've miss interpreted my post.

Yes we have been here before.... You'd been misquoting me above... Not that you'll acknowledge that.

If I've misinterpretted what you were implying... Cool. I can happily be the bigger man and hold my hands up if that's the case.

I still think you're blowing my original comments way out of proportion.

Yes, he takes the weight off a coach I gave a specific example on how this looks like in a DoF + Coach set-up that we have opted for. There will be two very different types of communication coming, the coaches will be on the matches, the DoF's will be on the strategic.

What "official" statement did the Club make about Kane? Please post it, all I can find is "according to The Sun Levy will not sell Kane".

I was responding to your example about the ESL (which YOU used as the sole 'qualifier' for your rebuttal about "demarkation").

Last word is yours... It's all got too meta now..... I'm done here.

I think we can look at his background and make judgements on his fit here, otherwise we could hire any random off the street and say it was a good hire because they need time.

I have a hard time seeing any constraints that would have the top 3 candidates be Fonseca, Gattuso and Nuno.
I'm no expert on Italian football but from what I read he did some good things and probably some not so good at Juve. His record though (from how Juve performed) is pretty good. Its too easy to say the right decisions were because of working with someone else, how would you know. I'm not saying he was 100% the right pick but he was probably in the top 3. Sometimes you don't get your top pick and you have to work with the next one available.

Isolating out Fonseca, Gattuso and Nuno as our top 3 candidates just because they were the last 3 names linked is being very selective. The argument (believing every link going) was that Nagelsmann, Poch and Conte were our top 3 targets - we didn't get them. Rightly or wrongly, we then moved onto others, amongst them - Fonseca, Gattuso and Nuno (plus quite a few others allegedly). We got Nuno. Certainly not my top pick at the beginning but if out of the others available he was the one that Paratici thinks he can best work with (and he had recommended him at Juve apparently) then I am happy to go with his judgement.

We only get to see small parts of the decision making process and never ever know the full story so at some point you have to trust in the process.

No way of knowing. Why didn’t he go for Nuno soon as he came in? His first two picks were Fonseca who he then dumped for gutusso all the while Nuno was available. If was that impressed by Nuno why didn’t he go for him from the off?
Could argue

hes not Daniel Levy so that’s a positive

a fresh approach to football matters is a win from me. Do I think Paratici is the best person for the role? Probably not. Do I think he will do a better job than Levy? Absolutely

don’t let perfect get in the way of good (and for relevance Levy is bad)

I'm no expert on Italian football but from what I read he did some good things and probably some not so good at Juve. His record though (from how Juve performed) is pretty good. Its too easy to say the right decisions were because of working with someone else, how would you know. I'm not saying he was 100% the right pick but he was probably in the top 3. Sometimes you don't get your top pick and you have to work with the next one available.

Isolating out Fonseca, Gattuso and Nuno as our top 3 candidates just because they were the last 3 names linked is being very selective. The argument (believing every link going) was that Nagelsmann, Poch and Conte were our top 3 targets - we didn't get them. Rightly or wrongly, we then moved onto others, amongst them - Fonseca, Gattuso and Nuno (plus quite a few others allegedly). We got Nuno. Certainly not my top pick at the beginning but if out of the others available he was the one that Paratici thinks he can best work with (and he had recommended him at Juve apparently) then I am happy to go with his judgement.

We only get to see small parts of the decision making process and never ever know the full story so at some point you have to trust in the process.

If we were run more like Juve then the appointment would be a better fit. But we are not run like Juve. We do not spend the wages they do, we do not have the pull that they do. Maybe he totally changes the way he operates and fits in but looking at his history there is nothing there that indicates he will be a success here. There are no positives in his background or in his actions since coming here that indicate he is a good fit or will be a success and plenty of red flags indicating the opposite.

I "singled them out" because they were mentioned as 3 targets. Nagelsmann and Poch were not targets when Paratici was here that was prior to him, we are talking about Paratici here not the whole search overall, which has its own issues.

Based on his past hires I would say Nuno being his choice is a negative for Nuno in my view.

hes not Daniel Levy so that’s a positive

a fresh approach to football matters is a win from me. Do I think Paratici is the best person for the role? Probably not. Do I think he will do a better job than Levy? Absolutely

don’t let perfect get in the way of good (and for relevance Levy is bad)

That is part of the problem, and a similar one we have with transfers. Just improving on the absolute dog crap we have now is not good enough.

Sure being slightly better than Levy in charge looks like a positive but when it still puts you way behind your competitors it is not really that good overall.

That is part of the problem, and a similar one we have with transfers. Just improving on the absolute dog crap we have now is not good enough.

Sure being slightly better than Levy in charge looks like a positive but when it still puts you way behind your competitors it is not really that good overall.

FYI that's a prediction; not a fact.

Who did you want as manager? Also if Paratici is such a dud any names who would have been a better fit as sporting director?

Who did you want as manager? Also if Paratici is such a dud any names who would have been a better fit as sporting director?

For manager taking in realistic options and Levy as chairman I think Erik Ten Hag made perfect sense. I think he fits with what the club and fans talk about wanting, I think he has a CV that indicates he is likely able to handle a move up to our club. I like his use of both youth players and older players that may not have fit at other clubs in the past. I would also have worked with him to bring in a DOF or staff to handle that role that he was comfortable with.

As for DOF, I think the two "big" names, Rangnick and Campos, that are often mentioned would have been by far better choices for the role based on their backgrounds and our club.

For me Rangnick was the guy based on his work in setting up the RB system. While we likely aren't going to have a direct feeder club like RB has with Salzburg, the model of brining in young players and having the youth academy working with the first team seems like the kind of set up that Levy talks about wanting with the sustainable club he consistently talks about. RB have been able to move on from managers and player leaving and still maintain success by having players ready to come up to the club through the system as well as identifying players at other clubs that fit their system. By having an overall club plan and philosophy it makes it much easier to plan ahead rather than react when changes are needed, something that has been a major issue for us.

Outside of those two names, I would also have looked at clubs like Ajax, Leicester, BVB as they also seem to have a similar set up to what Levy claims we want in terms of bringing players with a non-ESL level spending.

I think if you hire weaker people you will find that it puts you behind your competitors.

Well considering this "weakness" if merely opinion based on 2nd or 3rd hand evidence... We're still some way from the realm of facts.

For manager taking in realistic options and Levy as chairman I think Erik Ten Hag made perfect sense. I think he fits with what the club and fans talk about wanting, I think he has a CV that indicates he is likely able to handle a move up to our club. I like his use of both youth players and older players that may not have fit at other clubs in the past. I would also have worked with him to bring in a DOF or staff to handle that role that he was comfortable with.

As for DOF, I think the two "big" names, Rangnick and Campos, that are often mentioned would have been by far better choices for the role based on their backgrounds and our club.

For me Rangnick was the guy based on his work in setting up the RB system. While we likely aren't going to have a direct feeder club like RB has with Salzburg, the model of brining in young players and having the youth academy working with the first team seems like the kind of set up that Levy talks about wanting with the sustainable club he consistently talks about. RB have been able to move on from managers and player leaving and still maintain success by having players ready to come up to the club through the system as well as identifying players at other clubs that fit their system. By having an overall club plan and philosophy it makes it much easier to plan ahead rather than react when changes are needed, something that has been a major issue for us.

Outside of those two names, I would also have looked at clubs like Ajax, Leicester, BVB as they also seem to have a similar set up to what Levy claims we want in terms of bringing players with a non-ESL level spending.
Ten Hag turned Spurs down as decided to stay at Ajax. I would have had him too but early on he became a non starter.

Yep I like Rangnick but like many times in the past he gets linked with jobs outside Germany but never seems to actually take one, very strange. Campos already rejected Spurs when his mate Jose was here so again that was not an option now.

Agree about following the Ajax and Dortmund models, that is the best we can ever hope for whilst miserly Levy and Lewis are control of the club

Back
Top Bottom