Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

if Levy cheapens out and doesn't get us a proper striker, sure. Otherwise, I'm not sure Son's league goal total will be all that different.

If last year proved anything, Son might find it a bit harder to get goals since Kane wouldn't be there to provide the perfect through balls.
His goal scoring record is better when he’s playing without Kane believe it or not. Think someone looked at it before and he’s better than a goal every 2 apps which is comparable to Kane

No. 20-25 seems appropriate if he’s the main focal point of our attack and takes penalties.
I'm not saying it can't/won't happen, but I don't think there is a logical conclusion to draw that the absence of Kane will guarantee an increase in Son's output. It's not as though we get an allocation of goals that are to be shared around the team and Kane has been hogging them.

There's every chance that we will, for a while at least, look impotent if/when Kane leaves.

Also worth bearing in mind that Son mightn't be as reliable as Kane from the spot, and has always been a streaky player. I should imagine he will remain that even as the main man.

I'm not saying it can't/won't happen, but I don't think there is a logical conclusion to draw that the absence of Kane will guarantee an increase in Son's output. It's not as though we get an allocation of goals that are to be shared around the team and Kane has been hogging them.

There's every chance that we will, for a while at least, look impotent if/when Kane leaves.

Also worth bearing in mind that Son mightn't be as reliable as Kane from the spot, and has always been a streaky player. I should imagine he will remain that even as the main man.
You realize we have about 30+ matches of high level football where Son has played without Kane? If you recall, he has played phenomenally without Kane. I’d argue he’s even more effective without Kane blocking the middle up front.

You realize we have about 30+ matches of high level football where Son has played without Kane? If you recall, he has played phenomenally without Kane. I’d argue he’s even more effective without Kane blocking the middle up front.
He's played well without Kane, he's played well with Kane, he's played poorly with Kane on occasion, and also poorly without him on occasion.

I just don't think there is any reason to confidently state that with Kane gone Son will score more over a season than he has already shown. It might happen, but it's far from a logical progression.

He's played well without Kane, he's played well with Kane, he's played poorly with Kane on occasion, and also poorly without him on occasion.

I just don't think there is any reason to confidently state that with Kane gone Son will score more over a season than he has already shown. It might happen, but it's far from a logical progression.
If his open play output remains the same and he takes penalties (5-7 a season), he will obviously score more goals. Make him the focal point of the attack and his open play goal tally likely goes up. His assists will most likely take a hit though. Probably single digits.

About your point about the fact that anything can happen - yes that’s true. We always complained about Kane not having enough talent around him yet he’s struggled badly even when being surrounded by all that talent in the Euros. Guess 25-30+ goals is not a certainty if he ends up going to City by that same logic.

Last edited:
His goal scoring record is better when he’s playing without Kane believe it or not. Think someone looked at it before and he’s better than a goal every 2 apps which is comparable to Kane

In fairly short term sample sizes though.

Depending on who we would bring in to replace Kane I have a hard time thinking Son hits 20-25 goals with out Kane or a similar player there to set him up for chances.

In fairly short term sample sizes though.

Depending on who we would bring in to replace Kane I have a hard time thinking Son hits 20-25 goals with out Kane or a similar player there to set him up for chances.
Fair point. They do complement each other very well hence probably why Kane is struggling to find form without Son at the Euros

I didn't say he is "way below" I said he is "a notch below" the likes of Kane/Salah. By your own metric, he is.

in 17/18, Salah hit 31 league goals if you don't count penalties (32 if you count them).
in 18/19 Salah hit 19 league goals if you don't count penalties (22 is you count them).
in 19/20 Salah hit 16 league goals if you don't count penalties (19 if you count them).
in 20/21 Salah hit 16 league goals if you don't count penalties (22 if you count them).

It was only really last season that saw a high amount of penalties for Salah.

Son's league goals over the same period:

17/18 - 12 league goals (no pens)
18/19 - 12 league goals (no pens)
19/20 - 11 league goals (no pens)
20/21 - 16 league goals if you don't count penalties (17 if you do).
Compare the minutes in all of those previous seasons.

You seem to! (Always)
Didn’t you just get binned?
Go Away Leave GIF by Martin

Son has no reason to sign this year unless Spurs step up and pay him like he should be paid. Son is getting paid half of what Sterling or Martials pay? Ridiculous

We know that is not happening with the money hog Levy so most likely Son will get to score more this year so the baldy could sell high at the end of season?

Son has no reason to sign this year unless Spurs step up and pay him like he should be paid. Son is getting paid half of what Sterling or Martials pay? Ridiculous

We know that is not happening with the money hog Levy so most likely Son will get to score more this year so the baldy could sell high at the end of season?

Clueless fanboi ramblings......

Back
Top Bottom