****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So you're saying Italians are some kind of wild people?
Mafia GIF by memecandy

fox tv GIF by makinghistory

According to Hollywood Italians are the nuts.

I don't see a problem with Grealish saying that. He's had to warm the bench most of this tournament watching Mason Mount put in poor performance after poor performance, creating nothing, but still getting picked. He must be thinking what do I have to do to get a game? Then he gets this thrown at him. He's reacted from a position of deep disappointment.

Overlooking Grealish for more workmanlike alternatives is classic England, continuing a long history of suspicion of flair players who 'can't defend'. As Platini once said to Hoddle 'If you'd been born French you'd have won 150 caps'. These days France find space for Pogba whereas we leave our most creative player on the bench.
Yeah Gary doesn't like Grealish very much, he knows he has to pick him for squads because there would be an uproar if he didn't, but I'm guessing it's something to do with some of Jack's off the field antics over the years like that after party reckless morning drive smashing into other cars during the first lockdown

Gary will always pick clean living good boy Mason over cheeky chappy Jack

Is there any evidence that the long pause before kicking a penalty is good? Seems those were saved easily.
Jorginho and Fernandes are two of the best penalty takers in the PL. The whole idea is to fuck with the keeper's timing, to get him to commit before you do. The taker is right next to the ball and gets to decide when he hits it, the goalie is watching from a distance and doesn't, it's a natural advantage.

Kane is amazing at sending the keeper the wrong way, I have no idea how he does it. You often watch it back and it seems obvious he's always going the direction he ends up hitting it, better players than me can maybe help explain.

Players should run up in a way that makes them feel most comfortable at the end of the day. But I like to see someone put the ball down, take a few steps back and then run up and leather it. The problem when you start to stutter and do a dance is that when you miss it really makes you look like a tool.

Remember Pirlo scoring a penalty against England years ago when he chipped it down the middle against Joe Hart? It was wonderful technique and looked fantastic. Had Hart stood his ground however, Pirlo would have wanted the ground to open up and swallow him.

It's a fine, fine line. Had Rashford's shot gone in off the post we'd all be saying how cool he was in such a moment. There was literally centimeters in it. Those are the breaks. Saka's penalty was just downright terrible though. Couldn't have hit it at a height that's any better for a goalkeeper had he tried. Either go low or go high, it's basic stuff.

Players should run up in a way that makes them feel most comfortable at the end of the day. But I like to see someone put the ball down, take a few steps back and then run up and leather it. The problem when you start to stutter and do a dance is that when you miss it really makes you look like a tool.

Remember Pirlo scoring a penalty against England years ago when he chipped it down the middle against Joe Hart? It was wonderful technique and looked fantastic. Had Hart stood his ground however, Pirlo would have wanted the ground to open up and swallow him.

It's a fine, fine line. Had Rashford's shot gone in off the post we'd all be saying how cool he was in such a moment. There was literally centimeters in it. Those are the breaks. Saka's penalty was just downright terrible though. Couldn't have hit it at a height that's any better for a goalkeeper had he tried. Either go low or go high, it's basic stuff.
Berbatov tried a similar penalty for United against Everton to that Pirlo penalty and completely fucked it.

Imagine if we had sent the 3 who missed first and Kane goes 5th. Game would be over before hed get the chance to take one.
Kane should be 3rd…..3rd and 5th Pen have usually the most pressure….miss early you are still in the game, miss in the middle it puts so much pressure on the final few pens….

Of the 5 takers, if they were ranked 1 to 5, 1 being your best taker the list should read:
1 = 5
2 = 2
3 = 1
4 = 4
5 = 3
All 5 pens are pressure, all 5 takers should be competent but there has to be a tactical order to some degree….

Kane should be 3rd…..3rd and 5th Pen have usually the most pressure….miss early you are still in the game, miss in the middle it puts so much pressure on the final few pens….

Of the 5 takers, if they were ranked 1 to 5, 1 being your best taker the list should read:
1 = 5
2 = 2
3 = 1
4 = 4
5 = 3
All 5 pens are pressure, all 5 takers should be competent but there has to be a tactical order to some degree….

Can't agree with that. Miss your first pen and it puts massive pressure on you right away, and giving your opponent a major boost.

Can't agree with that. Miss your first pen and it puts massive pressure on you right away, and giving your opponent a major boost.
A lot of times the team who miss first win…not an exact science of course, but I’d like my main guy going 3rd…the pressure on that pen is immense one way or the other….

Imagine Saka stepping up first, least pressure of any of the 5 pens on him at that point….yet we send the least experienced player in the entire tournament up to take one of the most critical pens there is….

We always send our best pen takers up first and it just never works, too much pressure on the weaker links towards the end…

This ended me. 😂 😂 😂 😂
The full story is that as soon as they'd flown over Wembley, I dashed out the front of my daughter's house (where we were going to watch the game) with my camera, to get a pic of the Red Arrows for Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman (although she couldn't care less, I suppose) and in the process I accidentally let the puppy out. My daughter got so stressed with all this that she decided to go into the BACK garden to get away from it all.
I heard the sound of jets, which was DEFINITELY coming from above the clouds at the FRONT of the house, so I told my granddaughter the Red Arrows were behind the clouds, but at least we'd heard them. :(
Went back indoors and everyone was saying, "Did you see them?", so I said, "No, they were above the clouds."
Then my daughter showed me the video she'd just shot in the BACK garden. Screenshot below. My ears told me they were out the front, but sound plays tricks on you, doesn't it?

syj4mJv.png

On reflection, it was the start of an evening of frustrations.

The full story is that as soon as they'd flown over Wembley, I dashed out the front of my daughter's house (where we were going to watch the game) with my camera, to get a pic of the Red Arrows for Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman (although she couldn't care less, I suppose) and in the process I accidentally let the puppy out. My daughter got so stressed with all this that she decided to go into the BACK garden to get away from it all.
I heard the sound of jets, which was DEFINITELY coming from above the clouds at the FRONT of the house, so I told my granddaughter the Red Arrows were behind the clouds, but at least we'd heard them. :(
Went back indoors and everyone was saying, "Did you see them?", so I said, "No, they were above the clouds."
Then my daughter showed me the video she'd just shot in the BACK garden. Screenshot below. My ears told me they were out the front, but sound plays tricks on you, doesn't it?

syj4mJv.png

On reflection, it was the start of an evening of frustrations.

Same energy............

I feel like mount and his lack of anything has gone unnoticed right?
Not being a Chelsea fan (obvs) I can't comment on what he actually does but I wonder if anyone with Chelsea mates can relate what they say about mount and how he played....from my pov, he came across as overrated
I can't see what he adds to an international team, he obviously is a good player for his club but that's a different kettle of fish as they say.

1 = 5
2 = 2
3 = 1
4 = 4
5 = 3
According to whom? Is this a recognised tactic?

His words, said 'I will' in some context or another, might not sound like much but there is a difference between volunteering and saying that when asked.

I just can't see Southgate having Grealish throwing himself forward on one hand, and Saka bricking it on the other, and forcing Saka to take it.
I can see exactly that and that’s why he should resign

Saka is a kid and very inexperienced and I fell sorry for him but not Rashford who showboated and made himself look a complete prat

Back
Top Bottom