****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can see exactly that and that’s why he should resign

Saka is a kid and very inexperienced and I fell sorry for him but not Rashford who showboated and made himself look a complete prat
But why? Why would he risk sabotaging his own moment of glory/redemption by doing that? Seems too out of character for me.

Saka in the build up may have been full of youthful naivety and carefree attitude, and then the occasion of it all hit him once it was decided and too late. In this case I think a fair criticism of Southgate would be that he should have seen through that and not just taken Saka at face value, however it's all speculation and so that scenario may be miles wide of the mark too.

What I do know though, is that Southgate would have to be an absolute idiot to stubbornly put Saka on 5th pen just because he said so, over more experienced heads. There has to be some reason for it, some reason why someone like Sterling wasn't forcing his way ahead of the teenager who has 1 full season of experience playing for a mid-table nothing club...

I don't think he's a great, or even good, Manager, but I don't think he's a complete moron either.

I can see exactly that and that’s why he should resign

Saka is a kid and very inexperienced and I fell sorry for him but not Rashford who showboated and made himself look a complete prat
It's rashfords technique though and earned him a 15-2 score of positive pens out of 17. It's not like he changed it for the night as that would be inexcusable. He wasn't showboating at all: just used his standard (very successful) technique. It's like saying that jorginho was showboating!

I thought I would get over this pretty quickly, but I'm still absolutely gutted, to be honest.

Still cannot believe it took 99 minutes to get Grealish on the pitch, I don't necessarily think he's the saviour of English football but it was painfully obvious that Mount was not having any influence on the game.

And for a manager with the experience of Southgate, especially that shootout in 96 and how it's followed him around his entire life, I cannot fathom why he decided that a young, seemingly shy and impressionable teenager was the best person to take the responsibility of a 5th penalty in a major tournament final, at "home".

Last edited:
It's rashfords technique though and earned him a 15-2 score of positive pens out of 17. It's not like he changed it for the night as that would be inexcusable. He wasn't showboating at all: just used his standard (very successful) technique. It's like saying that jorginho was showboating!

He himself has said the run up was not his standard penalty and that he was trying to buy himself time as he wasn't confident.

He himself has said the run up was not his standard penalty and that he was trying to buy himself time as he wasn't confident.
That's where the decision to bring on 2 players with seconds of injury time to play was idiotic. If you know you're going to put them on then do it HT in ET at least, give them 15 minutes to get warmed up and into some rhythm, but more importantly psychologically to get to grips somewhat with the occasion.

Could have made all the difference, also by that point Sterling had played 105 mins of football, swapping him out for fresh legs wouldn't have hindered the team and evidently he wasn't planned for pens anyway.

So that last minute sub was another major criticism that can legitimately be levelled at Gaz...

Normally Rashford just does a standard run up and blasts it. Why he decided to change from his normal routine suddenly I'll never know. But had it gone in we'd all be praising him and saying how much he mugged off Donnarumma.

Normally Rashford just does a standard run up and blasts it. Why he decided to change from his normal routine suddenly I'll never know.

He explained in full yesterday.

But had it gone in we'd all be praising him and saying how much he mugged off Donnarumma.

Personally, no..... I have a major issue with fancy pens.... Seen too many missed to accept the added 'risk'; even if they do go in sometimes.

According to whom? Is this a recognised tactic?
Not a tactic as such, but studies show the first penalty has the least pressure which is why most are scored regardless of who takes them, it’s also vital your best taker gets to take one, Ronaldo for example tends to go 3rd, the penalty with the least success of conversion, due to most pressure…..

Again there is no exact proven formula, but England have always been of the mind set of putting their best first to last, where as others tend to keep experienced heads in the middle and end..

So Sterling in team of the tournament alongside Maguire and Walker. Zero surprise on all 3.

Walker is a machine. Never seen such sustained pace in any player.

Maguire was quite superb.

And Sterling untouchable as the best attacking player for England, by some distance.

Well done to the 3 of them. One or two others a touch unlucky.

Hard to argue with that team really.

I think in future whenever my team is involved in a penalty shootout I'm just going to assume they're going to lose and not even bother watching it.

Less painful that way.

That's what I did all game. I told myself if it goes to penalties it was as good as over. Even after the first penalty miss from Italy I didn't get too excited. So in the end I wasn't as gutted as I should have been as it was inevitable. The only time I thought maybe, just maybe, was when Pickford saved from Jorginho. But then Saka walked up and I knew exactly what was going to happen. He even missed the penalty in the same way I imagined him missing it before he kicked the ball.

That's what I did all game. I told myself if it goes to penalties it was as good as over. Even after the first penalty miss from Italy I didn't get too excited. So in the end I wasn't as gutted as I should have been as it was inevitable. The only time I thought maybe, just maybe, was when Pickford saved from Jorginho. But then Saka walked up and I knew exactly what was going to happen. He even missed the penalty in the same way I imagined him missing it before he kicked the ball.

I couldn't remember if Italy had missed one or two pens nor who actually missed for us, too much to drink!

Yeah a loss like that truly sucks and it's going to be hard for everyone to get over it.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm writing today because the next day it seemed too much. Honestly, I was very disappointed by some surrounding aspects.

1) It is useless to kneel against racism if you then behave like a racist when things go wrong

2) the medals, even in second place, are taken and sportsmanship is honored. And says one who with Juventus lost seven CL finals. I understand that the tension was great, that it was Wembley and the many years without finals but a football match must remain a football match.

3) Prince William for the role he has did not greet the President of the Republic, Mattarella. I think that FairPlay is shown also and above all in the defeat that is part of the game.

Perhaps Boris Johnson had exploited the event too much for it to be just a football match.

Having said that, I confirm what has been said: England are a great team with growing players, they will be one of the favorites at the World Cup.

Sorry I'm writing today because the next day it seemed too much. Honestly, I was very disappointed by some surrounding aspects.

1) It is useless to kneel against racism if you then behave like a racist when things go wrong

2) the medals, even in second place, are taken and sportsmanship is honored. And says one who with Juventus lost seven CL finals. I understand that the tension was great, that it was Wembley and the many years without finals but a football match must remain a football match.

3) Prince William for the role he has did not greet the President of the Republic, Mattarella. I think that FairPlay is shown also and above all in the defeat that is part of the game.

Perhaps Boris Johnson had exploited the event too much for it to be just a football match.

Having said that, I confirm what has been said: England are a great team with growing players, they will be one of the favorites at the World Cup.
Disappointing to see our players taking the medal off straight away, granted it’s not a winners medal but it’s bad sportsmanship to me to be taking it off like that in front of the camera!

6th June 2021.

24th November 2020.

Why do you talk such shit?

You do realize that "normally" doesn't mean every time, right? Go and watch his penalty that he took against Columbia in 2018. I've seen him take plenty like that for United. He almost came to a complete standstill against Italy.

Helmet.

Disappointing to see our players taking the medal off straight away, granted it’s not a winners medal but it’s bad sportsmanship to me to be taking it off like that in front of the camera!

Don't most teams do that though? I don't see it as a sign of being disrespectful. Just showing dissapointment. Almost embarrassment.

Back
Top Bottom