Dane Scarlett

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Everything has been such a bag of total shit at this club for the past 18-24 months, as bad as I can remember. However seeing some young players come through like Scarlett, Devine, John as well as older youth players coming back from successful loans like Skipp and Sessegnon is a good tonic.

I hope Dane Scarlett becomes everything Mourinho told The Times:

'I know he’s still very young, just 17, and it is probably too early for the next World Cup, but Tottenham Hotspur have a striker in Dane Scarlett, who, if everything goes well, is going to be phenomenal. For England, there is lots of promise.'

But we also know Mourinho's super-sized ego will claim credit for giving the "next big thing" his Spurs debut.

Anyway, I think we should keep Scarlett, not loan him out, and give him some first team minutes in the Europe Nonsense League. He's 17, and we can better control his physical development in-house rather than have some lower league team play him through injuries and risk burn out, or worse.

'I know he’s still very young, just 17, and it is probably too early for the next World Cup, but Tottenham Hotspur have a striker in Dane Scarlett, who, if everything goes well, is going to be phenomenal. For England, there is lots of promise.'

But we also know Mourinho's super-sized ego will claim credit for giving the "next big thing" his Spurs debut.

Anyway, I think we should keep Scarlett, not loan him out, and give him some first team minutes in the Europe Nonsense League. He's 17, and we can better control his physical development in-house rather than have some lower league team play him through injuries and risk burn out, or worse.

The Europa Nonsense League should be entirely youth players and reserve players, even the manager should be the assistant. It would be nice to have one season where the first team can concentrate on the league as priority.

Almost like ................................................................................................................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

New Signings!

:levylol:

The Europa Nonsense League should be entirely youth players and reserve players, even the manager should be the assistant. It would be nice to have one season where the first team can concentrate on the league as priority.
Agree. We should treat it like we used to treat Europa league before the winners got CL.
Redknapp gave lots of young players games in difficult places which would be great for their experience.
I hope it does not get in the way if we get to the semis or whatever. The prize for winning this is entry to the Europa league....big deal.
Looked at some of the teams in the qualifying rounds. Never heard of the majority.
The draw for the play off is on 2 August. That’s when we go in it.

Strongly disagree on this one. I think once these kids have proven to be above average, and are physically developed, getting out and playing proper football is best for their development, technically, tactically and mentally. I'd prefer they went abroad to places like Belgium, Netherlands, France etc where the football is (younger) more tactical, technical and less shit kick than League 1 or 2, and they won't be under the same spotlight, but I think it's much more valuable than playing virtually no real football for a year or three and just training, playing u23 and a few minutes of europa 2.

Hopefully Scarlett turns out to be the best thing since slice bread. Gets his chance early on in the season, scores a hat-trick against Woolwich then ends up scoring 40 Premier League goals in his first season and gets valued at £1bn.

Why do you lot have to be so pessimistic?!

:mourloopy:

Strongly disagree on this one. I think once these kids have proven to be above average, and are physically developed, getting out and playing proper football is best for their development, technically, tactically and mentally. I'd prefer they went abroad to places like Belgium, Netherlands, France etc where the football is more tactical, technical and less shit kick than League 1 or 2, and they won't be under the same spotlight, but I think it's much more valuable than playing virtually no real football for a year or three and just training, playing u23 and a few minutes of europa 2.
For me, it depends how good Scarlett is and whether Nuno is prepared to give him genuine game time.

We both agree that Poch's "best kids train with the first team" project was not a success. But a key factor was Poch's unwillingness to give regular match time to the best young players, and KWP in particular stalled badly until he started playing every week @ Soton.

Marcus "mini Messi" Edwards was loaned to Norwich. And it was a failure.

I think last season's loan of Skipp to Norwich is the archetypal great loan. Skipp was physically ready at 19 to mix it every week with experienced Championship cloggers, and he will have learnt loads.

I don't think a 17-year-old, in terms of their physical development, should be playing twice a week, picking up injuries on loan & being made to play through them.

Also, Scarlett & Kane seem to get on, and a young striker could not have a better professional role model to learn from than Kane.

So, if Nuno is prepared to give Scarlett first team minutes in the Europa Nonsense League, I say keep him & let him develop physically under the eye of our sports scientists, hoping they now do a better job than they did with Ledley & Aaron Lennon.

Once Scarlett is 18 or 19, if he's not ready to be a first team rotation option at Spurs, then by all means get him a Skipp-type loan to a top Championship side.

He did give him his debut though, any need for someone to have another fucking pop at Jose here?

Being loaned out didn't do Harry Kane any harm.

The Spurs academy graduate [Tangnanga] said about: “He’s a great prospect, honestly. I think he’s not the only one but for his age, everyone’s a bit surprised at how talented he is.
“Honestly, he is phenomenal and everything that the old gaffer said is true.
“If everything goes well and he keeps working hard and remains focused and grounded then he will go to the top, because he’s a phenomenal player and I think all the players around him know that and are going to try to help him.”

For me, it depends how good Scarlett is and whether Nuno is prepared to give him genuine game time.

We both agree that Poch's "best kids train with the first team" project was not a success. But a key factor was Poch's unwillingness to give regular match time to the best young players, and KWP in particular stalled badly until he started playing every week @ Soton.

Marcus "mini Messi" Edwards was loaned to Norwich. And it was a failure.

I think last season's loan of Skipp to Norwich is the archetypal great loan. Skipp was physically ready at 19 to mix it every week with experienced Championship cloggers, and he will have learnt loads.

I don't think a 17-year-old, in terms of their physical development, should be playing twice a week, picking up injuries on loan & being made to play through them.

Also, Scarlett & Kane seem to get on, and a young striker could not have a better professional role model to learn from than Kane.

So, if Nuno is prepared to give Scarlett first team minutes in the Europa Nonsense League, I say keep him & let him develop physically under the eye of our sports scientists, hoping they now do a better job than they did with Ledley & Aaron Lennon.

Once Scarlett is 18 or 19, if he's not ready to be a first team rotation option at Spurs, then by all means get him a Skipp-type loan to a top Championship side.

I definitely wasn't referring to all 17yo's or 17yo's specifically, but the kids that have already excelled at the final youth level (U23's be they 17,18,19) and I did caveat with "if they are physically developed". But also wouldn't rule out sending 17yo's on loan under the right circumstances.

Also stated my preference for certain European leagues where things are generally less physical (hence me saying less shit kick), they also don't play two games most weeks.

I just think there are football/mental/character benefits with the loan system - especially overseas - that you just won't get with the 'train with the first team but rarely play" option - even if you learn that the player isn't as compatible as his early promise suggested. Of course, if you have a good coach and he's actually going to give them reasonable game time then fine, but it's so rare at top end PL level that these kids are really seen as viable or risk-worthy by coaches under extreme pressure, (no matter how shit the first team options are - cough Poch) so it invariably involves a couple of games, in ad hock mish mash teams in the LC/EL away at some weird/shitty pitch - there isn't really the same learning potential and if the player doesn't shine in their one or two starts (in those quirky conditions) they immediately have the fanbase on their case.

I definitely wasn't referring to all 17yo's or 17yo's specifically, but the kids that have already excelled at the final youth level (U23's be they 17,18,19) and I did caveat with "if they are physically developed". But also wouldn't rule out sending 17yo's on loan under the right circumstances.

Also stated my preference for certain European leagues where things are generally less physical (hence me saying less shit kick), they also don't play two games most weeks.

I just think there are football/mental/character benefits with the loan system - especially overseas - that you just won't get with the 'train with the first team but rarely play" option - even if you learn that the player isn't as compatible as his early promise suggested. Of course, if you have a good coach and he's actually going to give them reasonable game time then fine, but it's so rare at top end PL level that these kids are really seen as viable or risk-worthy by coaches under extreme pressure, (no matter how shit the first team options are - cough Poch) so it invariably involves a couple of games, in ad hock mish mash teams in the LC/EL away at some weird/shitty pitch - there isn't really the same learning potential and if the player doesn't shine in their one or two starts (in those quirky conditions) they immediately have the fanbase on their case.
I hear all that, B-C, and I largely agree.

But 17 is young ,both physically and emotionally. And some youngsters have the mentality to get their heads down and graft on loan (eg Kane, Skipp), and some find it more challenging (eg Edwards).

I'm probably being optimistic, but I would rather we kept Scarlett for a year to get him stronger & fitter, hoping that Nuno does give him meaningful minutes. I know Fabio Silva joined Wolves for big money, but he was 17 last season, and according to wiki he played in 37 games (incl sub appearances) in alll competitions.

Tanganga's comments suggest Scarlett is popular and the other players want to help him develop:
“If everything goes well and he keeps working hard and remains focused and grounded then he will go to the top, because he’s a phenomenal player and I think all the players around him know that and are going to try to help him.”

Strongly disagree on this one. I think once these kids have proven to be above average, and are physically developed, getting out and playing proper football is best for their development, technically, tactically and mentally. I'd prefer they went abroad to places like Belgium, Netherlands, France etc where the football is (younger) more tactical, technical and less shit kick than League 1 or 2, and they won't be under the same spotlight, but I think it's much more valuable than playing virtually no real football for a year or three and just training, playing u23 and a few minutes of europa 2.
That ex centre back that Mendes recommended played about 10-15 games last season upfront so no reason he can’t get games next season - you know the tool who did an mpbappe celebration when he scored a tap in against Sunday league Marine.

play this kid and Devine in our first team rather than signing overpaid wastemen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom