****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I always remember this Maradona mouthing 'sons of bitches' as the Argentine anthem gets booed out the building.

On the evening of Argentina Italia ended the love story between Italy and Maradona at that point identified only with Napoli. All of Italy cheering for Germany.
The elimination on penalties was a collective drama with Baggio who had done magic. USA 94 was the same fate. Sacchi preached football as a team but the star was Baggio who took the cross and carried it for everyone.
1990-1994-1998 was a great national team but they didn't win anything but always remained on top.

On the evening of Argentina Italia ended the love story between Italy and Maradona at that point identified only with Napoli. All of Italy cheering for Germany.
The elimination on penalties was a collective drama with Baggio who had done magic. USA 94 was the same fate. Sacchi preached football as a team but the star was Baggio who took the cross and carried it for everyone.
1990-1994-1998 was a great national team but they didn't win anything but always remained on top.
Serie A in the 90's was the strongest league in Europe so i always expected Italy to be strong in tournaments. So many great players in that era.

If anything i thought the 2006 World Cup winning squad was slightly weaker than the squad from the 90's. What do you think?

The team of Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Donadoni, Vialli, Mancini that should really have won the tournament in 90.

Valuable lesson learned, if you want children to wind their necks in then exert physical dominance over them in a public setting, then be sure to brag about your dominance on Social Media...

Really good to know that this man is in a position of power over kids.

Michael Owen has a twitter multi.... Who knew?

Serie A in the 90's was the strongest league in Europe so i always expected Italy to be strong in tournaments. So many great players in that era.

If anything i thought the 2006 World Cup winning squad was slightly weaker than the squad from the 90's. What do you think?

The team of Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Donadoni, Vialli, Mancini that should really have won the tournament in 90.
In the 90s, Serie A was like the Premier League today. Great champions and excellent club results. The national team was present as a protagonist in all events. Then it is normal that the European and World Championships expect to give their best in a month and something can go wrong. In 2002 we were robbed by referee Moreno (recently arrested). That of 2006 was a great national team, however, as always, all the stars must be aligned. The worst was seen with the "retirement" of the world champions. There was a hole partially filled with the 2012 European final and the 2018 catastrophe.

Regardless of what we think about Southgate, the future should certainly be bright for this England side, as dissapointing as we were in the final. We still have have the likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Harvey Barnes, James Justin, Mason Greenwood and Joe Gomez to come into the squad which only make us stronger. I think Barnes could really challenge for a place on the left of the front three. He's more of a Southgate type of player than Jack Grealish is. I'd also be happier having Greenwood on the bench over Calvert-Lewin, who can be effective given the right service but is a bit one dimensional.

I have no doubt that England can make more semi-finals and finals. I just hope that the next time we have an opportunity we really take the shackles off and go for it, instead of being left wondering 'what if'.

Last edited:
Used to support lazio when gascoigne went to italy. Player i liked for lazio was guiseppe signori. Had an unsual and unique style for taking penalties. Cracking show football italia on channel 4 back in the day.
Aye, that was some time to watch serie A. And Signori was a deadly penalty taken. He could strike a freekick as well

Regardless of what we think about Southgate, the future should certainly be bright for this England side, as dissapointing as we were in the final. We still have have the likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Harvey Barnes, James Justin, Mason Greenwood and Joe Gomez to come into the squad which only make us stronger. I think Barnes could really challenge for a place on the left of the front three. He's more of a Southgate type of player than Jack Grealish is. I'd also be happier having Greenwood on the bench over Calvert-Lewin, who can be effective given the right service but is a bit one dimensional.

I have no doubt that England can make more semi-finals and finals. I just hope that the next time we have an opportunity we really take the shackles off and go for it, instead of being left wondering 'what if'.
If you want England to succeed, why would you have Southgate continue? He is dogshit. Meek and pathetic manager who was afraid to win. Italy best player was injured, and you went ahead early doors but your Southgate side proceeded to shit its pants and refused to attack while waiting for the Italian equaliser. Whimpering stuff.

If you want England to succeed, why would you have Southgate continue? He is dogshit. Meek and pathetic manager who was afraid to win. Italy best player was injured, and you went ahead early doors but your Southgate side proceeded to shit its pants and refused to attack while waiting for the Italian equaliser. Whimpering stuff.

He doesn't deserve to be sacked, in my opinion, I don't think any manager has ever been sacked after making the final of the Euro's. But my choice would be Arsene Wenger to replace Southgate when his time does come to an end.

I've not said anything different than he lost us the final more than Italy won it.

Back
Top Bottom