Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely, but then you can go round in circles debating that he moulded that side and improved the players to the point that we are amazed they didn't win anything.

Or did you mean Levy?
ah-haaaaa!!

Or did I....? :levywhoa::pochunimpressed:

We had our chances... we had our (2) sliding doors moments.... League vs. Leicester, CL vs. Liverpool...
sadly/tragically/unforgivably we blew them both!

We coulda been riding on the crest of a wave from 2015/16-2019, and living off it ever since....
and yet here we are; Europa Conference League... Nuno now in charge, Poch at PSG, Kane almost certainly somewhere else, and Levy still here... fiddling with his expensive toys!

Here's hoping Bryan Gil and Paratici are the answer!!

I'll miss him like mad.
Still think if he was here right now he'd be our best CB
MOTM in the cup final.
Only real weakness was in the air and well in the later years had some pace issues (age)
But positioning (in general), general defending and distribution etc.. was class. His highlights reel is so long because he did a lot of good.
THis is the painful rebuild we were talking about but the £13m offer is too good to turn down.
Wish him the best of luck in the future!

ah-haaaaa!!

Or did I....? :levywhoa::pochunimpressed:

We had our chances... we had our (2) sliding doors moments.... League vs. Leicester, CL vs. Liverpool...
sadly/tragically/unforgivably we blew them both!

We coulda been riding on the crest of a wave from 2015/16-2019, and living off it ever since....
and yet here we are; Europa Conference League... Nuno now in charge, Poch at PSG, Kane almost certainly somewhere else, and Levy still here... fiddling with his expensive toys!

Here's hoping Bryan Gil and Paratici are the answer!!
League the following year was even worse, literally the best side in any meaningful stat you could point to and still finished second. Most points garnered by any other side over that 2 year league period and didn't manage to finish top in either of them...

:nunofacepalm:

Blame probably has to be shared across the board realistically, as well as that you also have to consider that sometimes you can do everything exactly right and still fall short.

I think it will be along time before we can enjoy/look forward to/take pride in Spurs for such a prolonged, consistent period. The trajectory from Poch's second season was consistently upwards for what 2 years, 3 years? Seemed inevitable we would eventually win something.

:nunodisappointed:

Feels back to square one now.

Toby, Lamela , Jan , Eriksen(although the way this fizzled out made it a bit different of a feeling), Rose even as far back as Dembele

From that peak Poch team only Kane,Lloris,Son,Dier remain. That's the rebuild unfortunately. Sad to see.

Lloris now really the only OG being here since 2012. Hopefully if Hugo gets a testomonial (which he should get for 10 years) we could have the Belgian boys and etc.. return. Let Dembele get to play in the new stadium and some of these cult heros get a proper send off.

I think I’ve got something in my eye 😭 Such a top guy.
Two of my favourite players have gone this week, but I have to acknowledge that it’s for the best. I will miss Toby immensely, but I wish him well at his new club.

Best centre half I've seen for spurs in prem era including ledley.
I'm not sure he's better than Ledley.

Ledley had everything Toby had plus more. He had the recovery pace that Toby didn't.

Also ledley played as left CB most of his career and never looked out of place because he could use both feet. Toby looked awkward when he played LCB for us.

My order of recent CBs would be :
1. King
2. Jan
3. Toby
4. Dawson
5. Woodgate (could be 4th but didn't play enough for us)

£13.5m for Alderweireld was a fantastic purchase for us. It's hard to compare players of different eras but imo I don't think we've had a better CB in my time of watching us from the mid-to-late 1970s. Even though he was a captain of men he should have had the team and club captaincy as standalone.

Two of the most committed players in recent years gone in two days (Toby far more influential and important for us than Coco, though). Stating the obvious but we have not handled the rebuild well.

Good luck and thanks for everything, Toby.

I love Toby and very sad to see him go even though it is just time. He was one of our most consistently quality players over the past few seasons and a class act.

I'm not sure he's better than Ledley.

Ledley had everything Toby had plus more. He had the recovery pace that Toby didn't.

Also ledley played as left CB most of his career and never looked out of place because he could use both feet. Toby looked awkward when he played LCB for us.

My order of recent CBs would be :
1. King
2. Jan
3. Toby
4. Dawson
5. Woodgate (could be 4th but didn't play enough for us)

Agree with that although Woodgate had he stayed fit was right below King.

Vertonghen for 12 months probably hit the highest peak of performance.

Back
Top Bottom