Open Training....and it's live!!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

:mourbye:

It was pretty boring overall to be honest, but my takeaways from it are that overall squad fitness looks pretty decent. Even Ndombele looked ok to my untrained eyes.
Gollini looks good, I like him. At the end of the session Ndombele, Son and Moura did some shooting practice against Whiteman, Gollini and Hart while the other players were warming down. Gollini was the better of the three keepers and the three shooting were doing pretty well too.
The youngsters looked good and I hope we see them involved in cup games.
Dele, Son and Moura link up well together so if Dele keeps his motivation this season we look pretty strong up front, especially if we keep Kane.
Did they do any shadow play in a formation?

I'd like to know if we are going to play 3 or 4 at the back.

Everyone seems convinced it's 4. But the squad seems better suited to 3.

I don't recall seeing any shadow play like that, they were doing drills then a 3 team 7v7 kick about.
Personally I have no idea whether we'll go 4 at the back or 3, I think its going to depend on new signings. I'm assuming that we'll see something more like our first team for the Woolwich game on Sunday so hopefully that'll give us a better idea.

I don't recall seeing any shadow play like that, they were doing drills then a 3 team 7v7 kick about.
Personally I have no idea whether we'll go 4 at the back or 3, I think its going to depend on new signings. I'm assuming that we'll see something more like our first team for the Woolwich game on Sunday so hopefully that'll give us a better idea.
I really don't know what to expect of the Chelsea and Scum games. Ideally you'd be getting your preferred team shape and personnel tried and tested, but the games are against direct rivals.Do you really want to be going full out with your strongest team?

I really don't know what to expect of the Chelsea and Scum games. Ideally you'd be getting your preferred team shape and personnel tried and tested, but the games are against direct rivals.Do you really want to be going full out with your strongest team?
Of course, even if he will choose many young sub.

Last edited:

I think we'll be without at least Kane and Hojbjerg anyway so not sure playing our strongest eleven is even possible. I also don't think we'll have the new signings like Gil or Tomiyasu and Romano if those two get completed.
I think the team will include some of the youngsters, but either way I hope we give it a good go.

To paraphrase Nathan Clark on the extra inch podcast.

These games will be the perfect setup for some senior player that is working themselves back to fitness for the season to get two footed by some Chelsea youth player and end up on the injury list for a month.

I wish people would stop calling it 3 at the back. It's never 3, it's an extra defender on the pitch so it's 5 at the back.

I'd like to see 3 at the back the way Cruyff\Venables did it where you take away a centre-half and use 2 usually converted FB's either side of the CB. The DM can then drop in to make a 4 if needed. Think Cruyff's Barca and Venables England experimented with it at Euro 96. That team had Anderton and McMananaman as wing-backs, something no manager would even think of doing now.

I wish people would stop calling it 3 at the back. It's never 3, it's an extra defender on the pitch so it's 5 at the back.

I'd like to see 3 at the back the way Cruyff\Venables did it where you take away a centre-half and use 2 usually converted FB's either side of the CB. The DM can then drop in to make a 4 if needed. Think Cruyff's Barca and Venables England experimented with it at Euro 96. That team had Anderton and McMananaman as wing-backs, something no manager would even think of doing now.

Personally my interpretation is that it's not just about numbers, it's about style of play.
To me 5 at the back is 5 defenders who mostly stay back and defend. 3 at the back is 3 defenders who stay back defending with 2 wingbacks who sit further forward and play attacking roles up the touchline. So yes, there may be 5 defensive players, but they're not necessarily at the back.
As I said though that's just my interpretation and what I mean when I say 3 at the back.

Great thread title BTW.
Who errr... actually spent more than a couple of minutes watching?
I followed it all, along with my mate, a full english breakfast. It was interesting to see what they did for warm-ups with resistance bands and whatnot. I didn’t know a plank was used as a warm-down.

Watching the friendlies and this, Lucas looks very good. I’ve always thought he was a bit brain-dead but he was changing his game under Mourinho and it looks like he’s waking up to what he could do with the blinkers off and properly aware of the options around him. Plus, he’s a massive show-off. I like that. It wasn’t just his dribbling or goal shots, he was popping up behind players and whipping the ball off of them. I’d love him to come of age this season and give us another legendary performance or three.

Stevie B has some golden feet on him in tight situations as well.

Ndombele looks alert, Dele’s trying, Skipp always hungry, Gollini like he was having fun…this open session was really interesting. I’ll definitely pop along if they have another.

Back
Top Bottom