Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why don't you ask the PL mate.

It could have been either for me. Both have been excellent. Both benefiting from a manager that knows how to set up a team defensively, rather than being so passive under the dinosaur.
I will ask them and get to the bottom of it!!!

But yea they have both been decent. Sanchez was very obviously better though, its just very strange for anyone pick Dier over him from the past 3 games. One made a blatant goal giving error, the other didnt.

Yea very heartbroken for Sanchez who didnt run with the ball when he could have passed and gave a goalscoring chance away.
You are going to be devastated then when Romero gets rolled by a CF when he tries to get to the ball first.

Me, I applaud any of our defenders trying to be aggressive, assertive and build from the back rather than backing off and/or lumping up the pitch.

You are going to be devastated then when Romero gets rolled by a CF when he tries to get to the ball first.

Me, I applaud any of our defenders trying to be aggressive, assertive and build from the back rather than backing off and/or lumping up the pitch.
You read wrong again. Building from the back is good. Knock it around. Dont try to think you are messi and try dribbling past players while being a centreback. Bad idea.

You read wrong again. Building from the back is good. Knock it around. Dont try to think you are messi and try dribbling past players while being a centreback. Bad idea.
Because that's the outcome that he had planned all along, Lool.

He wasn't trying to dribble past him, he was closed down really well by Neves, who had been doing this to almost our entire team all game. I suppose De Bruyne made a "mistake" for allowing Sanchez to tackle him, what was he thinking!?

I feel sorry for our players, not being allowed to play football in an environment that supports positive play.

Because that's the outcome that he had planned all along, Lool.

He wasn't trying to dribble past him, he was closed down really well by Neves, who had been doing this to almost our entire team all game. I suppose De Bruyne made a "mistake" for allowing Sanchez to tackle him, what was he thinking!?

I feel sorry for our players, not being allowed to play football in an environment that supports positive play.
Thats nonsense mate.

He had the chance to play a positive pass, instead he takes a bad touch, then has a brain freeze and did a dumber thing.

He could have just passed it to Dele or Skipp here.
dier1.png

A little later, Neves has now barely moved while Dier has gotten closer to him because of his bad touch but still has a chance to play a 'positive' pass to Dele. Still decides against it and instead tries to take Neves on like an idiot.
dier2.png

If you dont think it was a mistake but all down to Neves' closing down, then I think we are done here.

He was tackled and dispossessed, that's NOT an error.

You sound heartbroken.

I mean I'm super chuffed for Eric and think him and Sanchez have been mustard so far

But it was a big fuck up and for me Sanchez has been the better of the two

But hey arguing about with one of our two starting CBs deserved to be in TOTM is a great thing to be doing

Thats nonsense mate.

He had the chance to play a positive pass, instead he takes a bad touch, then has a brain freeze and did a dumber thing.

dier1.png

A little later, Neves has now barely moved while Dier has gotten closer to him because of his bad touch but still has a chance to play a 'positive' pass to Dele. Still decides against it and instead tries to take Neves on like an idiot.
dier2.png

If you dont think it was a mistake but all down to Neves' closing down, then I think we are done here.

The bloke has just been nominated to be player of the fucking month in the entire league!!

Just fucking congratulate him for fuck sake!! He's s been fucking brilliant! Yet you can't bring yourself to utter those words.

What a waste of energy!

The bloke has just been nominated to be player of the fucking month in the entire league!!

Just fucking congratulate him for fuck sake!! He's s been fucking brilliant! Yet you can't bring yourself to utter those words.

What a waste of energy!
But he only got nominated because they picked a defender from a team that didnt give out goals. Anyone who actually watched the 3 games would know Sanchez should have been nominated instead as he made some very important tackles while but Dier made a fuckup. I think Sanchez has been brilliant, Dier has been okay..ish, even Tanganga would have been a better choice.

Thats nonsense mate.

dier1.png

dier2.png

shit like this gets forgot about if it doesnt end in absolute disaster. if adama wasnt such a donkey, we would all be slating dier for the donkey that he is. but because it luckily fell to adama, dier is now apparently in the form of his life.

this should have cost us 2 massive points

But he only got nominated because they picked a defender from a team that didnt give out goals. Anyone who actually watched the 3 games would know Sanchez should have been nominated instead as he made some very important tackles while but Dier made a fuckup. I think Sanchez has been brilliant, Dier has been okay..ish, even Tanganga would have been a better choice.
I find your last statement about Tanganaga simply stunning considering that Traore won most of his 1v1's against him, which was a lot and hints towards a bias when making a judgement for what you call a Dier "error" (It was a heavy touch, yes, the rest of your breakdown of what happens doesn't reflect the options that were available to him from that point as Neves closed him down brilliantly by ALSO cutting off the passing lane option to Bergwijn) whilst ignoring the numerous times Traore skinned Tanganga are ignored (FWIW - I'm not holding those moments against Tanganaga because as I've already commented in the transfer thread about Traore, that the way to manoeuvre him out the game is to defend as a collective NOT as a 1v1 as he will always beat his first man, the aim is to put enough pressure on him as the first man, so to lessen his chance of his 2nd take on or cross/pass).

"he only got nominated beacuse" says it all.

Last edited:
(It was a heavy touch, yes, the rest of your breakdown of what happens doesn't reflect the options that were available to him from that point as Neves closed him down brilliantly by ALSO cutting off the passing lane option to Bergwijn)

"he only got nominated beacuse" says it all.
He didnt have to pass to bergwin. Dele was open but he took on neves for absolutely no reason.

Not sure this means much. On his day he can be a top four level Centreback a poundland Harry Maugire the problem is in big games against the most able technically able he can get found out. Like him id keep but I'd really hope Romero is better and that ultimately so is Tanganga
Like City..?

He didnt have to pass to bergwin. Dele was open but he took on neves for absolutely no reason.
Had he passed to Dele he would have been swamped by at least 3 oppo players, hemmed in against the touchline too with very little option elsewhere to pass (maybe a first time ball to Bergwijn who was marked but could still receive but only option for him would have been back to Dier). I can see exactly why he went inside because it would have opened up the pass to Bergwijn, or out wide on the other flank to PEH who would have space in front of him (it's possible that Bergwin would also have been closed down as a player was marking him, so had the ball gone to him his options were a wall pass back to Dier. Basically look at how good Wolves press was.

Back
Top Bottom