Palace v Spurs 11th Sept 12:30 - Selhurst Park

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's kind of ironic that those posters who were citing caution after three wins on the bounce, are the self same posters losing their shit after our first loss.

Having said that, I do have my concerns here. Too often we've seen players and managers talk the talk, then fail miserably to walk the walk.

Yesterday was a shitshow. We can caveat to a certain extent due to missing half the first team, but that doesn't excuse the lack of bravery shown by firstly the manager, and secondly by the majority of the players.

Win, lose or draw, I hope we show more courage against Chelsea. I do expect some pragmatism in the game as, for me, they are Champions elect, but we have Footballers in the team that will at least make them think about defensive work rather than just all out attack.

I can live with losing the game as long as we make their keeper earn his week's wages

Everyone should be cautious. Espirito Santo is a solid manager, a likeable guy. But he was sacked by a club that finished lower than us. We also clearly wanted a dozen or so managers before he was even considered.

He can only be seen as a downgrade from Mourinho, however much spin anyone tries to put on it. I think he'll end up as a stop-gap. A manager we'll have for a couple of seasons at most until some better one's are available down the line. We won't really excel under him, neither will be get considerably worse.

After failing on our targets he was a safe option. A steady Eddy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thinking more about this match vs our others.

interestingly (and I don’t think this is a good thing) a lot of our attacking chances on the first 3 came out of intelligent passes from Dier and Sanchez (I can’t believe I just wrote that sentence).

I wonder if having neither of them (nor Romero who also makes that type of pass from the back) also blunted some of the attack. That said, we absolutely shouldn’t be reliant on that to start the attack, just something that seemed a bit different in this one.
Remember, we lost 3-0 to Dinamo with Dier and Sanchez in the back.

Everyone should be cautious. Espirito Santo is a solid manager, a likeable guy. But he was sacked by a club that finished lower than us. We also clearly wanted a dozen or so managers before he was even considered.

He can only be seen as a downgrade from Mourinho, however much spin anyone tries to put on it. I think he'll end up as a stop-gap. A manager we'll have for a couple of seasons at most until some better one's are available down the line. We won't really excel under him, neither will be get considerably worse.

After failing on our targets he was a safe option. A steady Eddy. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yup, I said when he was appointed that his 2 year contract was suspiciously similar to the remaining duration of Poch’s at PSG. However, it doesn’t change the fact that those refusing to enthuse about our start are those going off after our first loss.

I understand being cautious, but using a 25% loss ratio as a reason for losing the plot and a shitload of “I told you so’s” is hypocritical in the extreme don’t you think?

for some of us its not about lose its about the football, i was calling for him to go after the first match
I don't like the way he manages those players he doesn't want,, remember the team he put out in Portugal playing lots of kids giving them no-one on the bench to help them

But that was the managers choice. Hasn’t he put Gil on in some of the other PL games? Surely regardless of his experience or whether his going to make it there would have no harm in him getting 15 minutes especially after going 1-0? What did Nuno see in the players out there that he thought they could nick a goal? Totally on the ineptitude and lack of fight/balls from Nono. Carry on like this and he won’t last long. Every other club play their new players. CP played the Chelsea kid they weren’t afraid to do so. If I was levy I’d be working on getting potter in the background ready as a replacement. He will at least build a team. Nuno ain’t building shit. If anyone has really seen any improvement in style then I’ve missed it. As for being more solid that is also false. We have let the oppo in all 4 games create uptime chances whereas we have created f all. We are not that solid!
Gil was about to come on and then they scored their second. We weren’t going to pull it back from there.
To be fair to Nuno it’s not his fault the squad is so poor, that he is forced to start with that back 4 and the midefield (he cant call on Ndombele because he’s a lazy, sulking tosser).
The truth is we have had shite recruitment and under investment in recent years and it shows.

Last edited:
Gil was about to come on and then they scored their second. We weren’t going to pull it back from there.
To be fair to Nuno it’s not his fault the squad is so poor, that he is forced to start with that back 4 and the midefield (he cant call on Ndombele because he’s a lazy, sulking tosser).
The truth is we have had shite recruitment and under investment in recent years and it shows.
Why not??
West Ham 'pulled it back' from 0-3 down with 7/8 minutes left against us last season...

Why does going 2-0 down mean the end, with 7 minutes left to play....?
Oh, maybe 'cos it's expected when it's US!

To be honest, having seen the first half display, if anything, conceding a goal was enough reason to bring Gil on, the goal was never going to come from anybody on the pitch prior to that time.
except the goal became that we limit the number of goals conceded which I believe wasn’t achieved anyway.

Back
Top Bottom