Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
I do think Romero, Gil, and Emerson all look like good signings. But really we’ve left ourselves so short attacking wise. Just look at what our bench looks like with just Moura and Bergwijn unavailable. Absolute poverty.

We are desperate for a starting level RW, a creative midfielder, and a backup striker. I know Traore divided opinion but I still think he’d be ideal. We are desperately lacking players who try to make things happen and play on the front foot. It’s why a half fit Ndombele sticks out so much, because he’s so progressive in his style.

Still feels like there’s so much to do in the “rebuild”. I think we still need:
  • Doherty replacement at back up RB
  • Ball playing center half, preferably left footed
  • Box to box midfield in addition to Sarr
  • Creative CAM
  • Starting RW
  • Back up striker, as always
Romero looks up to it yes.
Gill looks at least one, probably two seasons away from being able to cope with PL matches.
Emerson has all the markings of being a dud to me. Positionally clueless, poor at progressing the ball forward, average defensively.

So, we are giving up on any chance of Romero, Royal, Gil being good? I see some positive things from all three. If they come good, that gives me hope that Paratici can assemble something.
Not giving up but it's unlikely they get good quickly enough to make any sort of difference this season.

Needs at least 2 more windows and 7/8 players in/out to turn this squad around and that doesn't include the time needed for those players to settle in.

We're fucked for a few years IMO.

Right now, I’d say we’re around being an Everton. 6-8 region. But I do think we’ll get much better. Can’t help feeling we should have moved on from the whole Kane saga properly and injected more new talent into the squad. But we are where we are. Getting H focused is key to whether we can get any higher. Much more to come from Royal, Romero and Gil.

Mate we just lost to an oil-money fuelled Chelsea who are arguably the league's best and Europe's best team right now, and all of a sudden we're barely a top 10 team? Fuck me the reactionary posting on here is embarrassing.

Have a couple pints lads and try not to crumble, christ.

Not giving up but it's unlikely they get good quickly enough to make any sort of difference this season.

Needs at least 2 more windows and 7/8 players in/out to turn this squad around and that doesn't include the time needed for those players to settle in.

We're fucked for a few years IMO.

Issue is though even 7/8 players doesn’t fix it becuase we still don’t have a vision. Nuno wanted Traore because he suited his tactics, we said no. So the squad being assembled isn’t suited to Nuno’s style, he just has to make do. If we are just building a squad Willy nilly who is it for?

Liverpool their squad all of it suits Klopp, every player has a clear role and can work in his system. What’s ours? Our squad in my view is stronger in someways talent wise than fans think but it’s unbalanced and I have no idea about it’s direction.

hard to read everything as this was a strong Chelsea but the performances before that haven’t exactly looked great.

It's a transitional season, Nuno is not capable but Levy can't sack him because there is no-one decent is gettable, Kane will leave next summer. We will just have to suffer this season.

Exactly. How can be a rebuild/transition when we will likely have to change the manager, our striker, our keeper who is out of contract in 10 months and 6 or 7 other players? From appalling decisions in the summer we've wasted 5 months at the very least. We just have to try and rectify things as much as we can in January.

my only thought is they gave Nuno a cheap 2 year deal because Poch isn’t happy at PSG and after he has probably won the title there he has said he will come back and that’s the transition.

I think we've just become too easy to play against.
We look worse than our opponents nearly every game.
Nuno is not a good enough manager and he will drag this club into mediocrity at this rate.

That stadium is top 4 but the squad isn't.

my only thought is they gave Nuno a cheap 2 year deal because Poch isn’t happy at PSG and after he has probably won the title there he has said he will come back and that’s the transition.
I suspect that is the plan. But football rarely works out like that. He might have Real and Man Utd after him next summer. Even with his obvious connection to the club i dont see him turning them down for a club drifting along in mid table.

Manager is still critical, you have Brighton in 4th and looking value for it with a weaker squad. They are far better coached. We can obviously significantly improve the squad but it pointless without a plan.
Where were all the calls for hiring Potter? I can't remember a single person mentioning his name on here

It feels like we’ve been so focused on fixing our leaky back line for years that we’ve lost sight of attacking both tactically and in terms of signings.

Back
Top Bottom