Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
my view as well. All very well saying well at least Levy hired a DoF but it’s not that simple, if Levy hired Tony Pulis we wouldn’t all say well at least Levy got us a manager, we would say the manager is unsuitable.

The DoF has to fit the club, a DoF that wants defensive football isn’t one the club should appoint. It goes against the clubs values or at least the supporters values. To hear that Potter was the one the board wanted then Paratici wanted Nuno is alarming (according to Ally Gold). If Nuno fails and gets sacked are we going to just get another Jose?

The job Paratici did at Juventus was borderline criminal. Signings like Aaron Ramsey for free but with astronomical wages, or any number of the other 100 bang average midfielders they have like Rabiot or Arthur, again on wages they don't remotely deserve. Most of them are injured 3/4 of the time as well.

Juventus fans despise him and blame him for the state their club is in now. From what I'm aware he was a good chief scout but awful at running the club and ran them in to the ground. The work is being done now to fix the damage he did, and it started with getting Ronaldo's ridiculous wages off the bill.

Now we can all cross our fingers and hope we'll get a different Paratici. But after Mourinho I think the 'trust in Levy' will is dying.

The job Paratici did at Juventus was borderline criminal. Signings like Aaron Ramsey for free but with astronomical wages, or any number of the other 100 bang average midfielders they have like Rabiot or Arthur, again on wages they don't remotely deserve. Most of them are injured 3/4 of the time as well.

Juventus fans despise him and blame him for the state their club is in now. From what I'm aware he was a good chief scout but awful at running the club and ran them in to the ground. The work is being done now to fix the damage he did, and it started with getting Ronaldo's ridiculous wages off the bill.

Now we can all cross our fingers and hope we'll get a different Paratici. But after Mourinho I think the 'trust in Levy' will is dying.

I think some of his signings like Bryan Gil, Romero, Royal and Golini are smart. He has shown so far the ability to get a few clever deals but if this guy is designing our future and the future is Joseball style then it will be a real anti-climax to building an amazing stadium. He might be a good scout but the vision needs to be Spurs, not 90’s Italy defend defend defend.

Quite how this club continues to be the constant subject of negative press is beyond me.

It's like the media have a stash of dirt to throw our way and that we are not content with that, so we give them a bit more.

Bizarre to think that for 2 or 3 years we just got on with playing quality football and knocking on the door.

We just have to hope we navigate a way through to better days befire we talk down the man hole.

Why has Levy hired a CEO of football then?

I haven't ruled out the possibility of Paratici not doing a good job, if he doesn't then he gets sacked.

I'm confused here, are you arguing in favour of Levy making football decisions? You don't want an experienced football man doing this job, you want Levy doing it?
I just want Levy to leave. As long as he's at the club he has the power to get involved.

I think some of his signings like Bryan Gil, Romero, Royal and Golini are smart. He has shown so far the ability to get a few clever deals but if this guy is designing our future and the future is Joseball style then it will be a real anti-climax to building an amazing stadium. He might be a good scout but the vision needs to be Spurs, not 90’s Italy defend defend defend.

Only time will tell, but I suspect only Romero has the tools to be a PL player this season. Gollini looks no better than Gazza.

Gil is too skinny and delicate. Seems to have the right positive attitude though.
Royal has done little to differentiate himself from Aurrier or Doherty

So was David Silva. As is Phil Foden now. Juan Mata was putting up incredible numbers in the Prem a good few years back as well, and he's built like a 14 year old girl. Our own Modric never filled out a shirt once.

Size isn't the issue. Slightly built but clever, technical players who are a step ahead of other players can thrive in the Premier League. They just need to adapt to the speed of the game here and how demanding it it can be physically, obviously remains to be seen whether Gil can do that.

So was David Silva. As is Phil Foden now. Juan Mata was putting up incredible numbers in the Prem a good few years back as well, and he's built like a 14 year old girl. Our own Modric never filled out a shirt once.

Size isn't the issue. Slightly built but clever, technical players who are a step ahead of other players can thrive in the Premier League. They just need to adapt to the speed of the game here and how demanding it it can be physically, obviously remains to be seen whether Gil can do that.
Well it is an issue, if you let it become one.
A lot of scrawny players choose to be more competitive and Modric is a good example of that. He never played with the mind set that every coming together is gonna result in end in a heap on the floor.
Gil's of an age where he still has the potential to pack on some useful muscle too. And as far as I can see, he's taller than all the players you mentioned which could see him become a specimen. Think Bale and Ronaldo (physically not talent)

Mats BTW is short but fairly solid imo.
And lastly, a controversial comment - Foden js over rated.

A lot of scrawny players choose to be more competitive and Modric is a good example of that. He never played with the mind set that every coming together is gonna result in end in a heap on the floor.
Gil's of an age where he still has the potential to pack on some useful muscle too. And as far as I can see, he's taller than all the players you mentioned which could see him become a specimen. Think Bale and Ronaldo (physically not talent)

Bingo. Size isn't the issue, it's spirit. If you don't have fight in you then you're screwed, but I've seen nothing from Gil so far to suggest he's a wallflower. Size isn't the issue, its being passive, you don't get away with that in the PL.

If the coaches at Spurs feel he needs to put on muscle I'm sure they'll deal with that. It's not something I'm particularly concerned about, if his attitude is right and he's not scared of a hard tackle or two, he'll be fine. He's never going to be a powerful, direct player like Ronaldo or Bale.

And whether you rate Foden or not, he clearly competes well in the Prem and his size is no barrier.

The hell are you talking about? Gil has already shown he's more than happy to get stuck in....

He's significanlty shorter than both GB & CR..... Piling on a bunch of extra muscle is a bad idea.... He'll be sacrificing speed, agility and mobility that won't be overcome by a long athletic stride like both GB & CR have.

Last edited:
One of the great things about football is how people who have a wide range of bodytypes can be hugely successful. You can be a total beanpole or some 5'5 player who is 120 pounds soaking wet, and still have a place. You can also be some absolute unit or have calves the size of bowling balls.

It's brilliant. Adama Traore looks like he could eat David Silva but I know which one I'd rather have in my team, even now! Intelligence, technical ability and grit are far more important than muscle mass.

One of the great things about football is how people who have a wide range of bodytypes can be hugely successful. You can be a total beanpole or some 5'5 player who is 120 pounds soaking wet, and still have a place. You can also be some absolute unit or have calves the size of bowling balls.

It's brilliant. Adama Traore looks like he could eat David Silva but I know which one I'd rather have in my team, even now! Intelligence, technical ability and grit are far more important than muscle mass.

"X needs to bulk up a bit " is just another modern football cliche.

Quite how this club continues to be the constant subject of negative press is beyond me.
It's like the media have a stash of dirt to throw our way and that we are not content with that, so we give them a bit more.
Bizarre to think that for 2 or 3 years we just got on with playing quality football and knocking on the door.

We just have to hope we navigate a way through to better days befire we talk down the man hole.
But the Mega Rich Oil Money $uper Clubs didn't like it... so WE HAD TO BE STOPPED!!

Bingo. Size isn't the issue, it's spirit. If you don't have fight in you then you're screwed, but I've seen nothing from Gil so far to suggest he's a wallflower. Size isn't the issue, its being passive, you don't get away with that in the PL.

If the coaches at Spurs feel he needs to put on muscle I'm sure they'll deal with that. It's not something I'm particularly concerned about, if his attitude is right and he's not scared of a hard tackle or two, he'll be fine. He's never going to be a powerful, direct player like Ronaldo or Bale.

And whether you rate Foden or not, he clearly competes well in the Prem and his size is no barrier.
Agree.... despite 'popular opinion' to the contrary.... SIZE DOESN'T MATTER!
:moursmall::ossie:

Because our incredibly negative fanbase constantly lap it up and continually click and share these stories, the revenue the media outlets make off Spurs fans' paranoia and desperation must be pretty high.

Remember,Levy turned down this guy for Nuno

48640495_303.jpg

Say what you want about the strength of the league, but 27 goals in 6 games plus 5 away from home in the CL while yet again rebuilding his team.

For he, he was, is and will be the epitome of a Spurs manager.
Consider me skeptical.

Back
Top Bottom