Are the morals of our owners important to you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

However, their goal is the same in regards to pure business which is doing what benefits THEM rather than what benefits the supporters.

Well yeah…duh. Obviously.

But that goes for the owners of Liverpool, Man Utd, Woolwich, Chelsea, etc etc too.

What owners in the present day do you see as not doing that? (Among top English clubs)

I wasn't talking about business, I was talking about socially and politically.

The City owners only spend the way they do because it is politically beneficial for them to do so, they don't spend because they enjoy football or care about the fans.

The business model is the same in regards to the attitude towards legacy fans and paying supporters.

The difference being is that ENIC don't need to spend money in order to be politically and socially beneficial, they are already very comfortable in the western capitalist and social system and have no need to try and wash away human rights abuses, systemic homophobia and the other heinous shit those regimes partake in.

However, their goal is the same in regards to pure business which is doing what benefits THEM rather than what benefits the supporters.

I think you're confusing business with philanthropy.

If you didn't get shot, you didn't come to America. We literally shoot people as soon as they walk out of the airport. Its how we say hello.

That true I have been shot every time I have been over, people love me in your country, they always welcome me with a bullet.

Playing devils advocate a bit here as I don't have strong opinions on Arab owners, I just think any clubs with virtually unlimited funds are bad for the integrity of the sport, If I wanted to follow a sport that was all about money I'd follow Formula one racing. the morale question hasn't entered into it for me.

But If we are going to be talking about the morality of owners.

Do we have evidence that the new Newcastle owners have been personally involved in any crimes or human rights violations?
It doesn't really cut it when you just lump a group of people together based on their country of origin or ethnicity. Nor can they be blamed individually for the policies of the state they happen to reside in.

So if the country has what we in the West consider to be backwards views on homosexuality and women's rights, does that necessarily mean that the new Newcastle owners are at the forefront of that?
I don't know the answers I'm just asking the questions.

Secondly I assume everybody moaning about Newcastle's owners will be boycotting the World cup in Qatar next year for the rumoured human rights violations?

I never said any of that, the footnote was that our money may be soaked in blood a little less but that doesn't mean we are morally superior.

Like I said in another post, our owners corruption is just a different flavour.

If we are talking about socially and politically then yes, our owners are morally superior, obviously.

In terms of the pure business of football and how the owners operate towards the paying supporters I don't think there is any difference personally.

I'd rather be 'just a customer' than an advocate-by-proxy for one of these shitty regimes.

If I tire of being a customer at any time; I can walk away with my principals still in tact.

Stupid question. To be the owner of the vast majority football clubs in the premier league you need to be a billionaire. Or at least close to that level in terms of individual net worth. There is no such thing as an Ultra High Net Worth Individual WITH morals as in order to accumulate such wealth you have to a bad and amoral person.
Name me a football ownership structure that is virtuous and on the right side of the argument? I don’t think you can.
Unless you are in Germany in which fan ownership is a thing.
Newcastle’s new owners are awful, and it shouldn't be allowed. But we are getting into a debate about lesser evils. Our ownership: tax dodging, Conservative party donating, scrounges who were willing to let the government pay their staff during the pandemic and constantly support governenment policy and in doing so tacitly support growing inequality and poverty in this country. They bankroll the very things that are wrong in our society and people like Marcus Rashford are fighting against.
So please don’t suggest a “moral owner” is a thing. Because it is not. The only moral ownership structure is majority rule fan ownership.
But that won’t happen here. So I have accepted that whoever owns our club is will be an amoral cunt - but I’d rather take an amoral cunt who will invest in the team and see us as more than a live events venue (that they didn’t even pay for)
What a load of shit. Nothing really else to be said about the drivel you've spewed out there.

Do we have evidence that the new Newcastle owners have been personally involved in any crimes or human rights violations?
It doesn't really cut it when you just lump a group of people together based on their country of origin or ethnicity. Nor can they be blamed individually for the policies of the state they happen to reside in.
We're not talking about random Saudis though are we? We're talking about the crown prince and government of Saudi Arabia owning Newcastle, not some random citizen. If the government of Saudi Arabia isn't responsible for the human rights horrors of the Saudi government, then I don't know who is.

So if I'm reading the general consensus of this thread right, where Newcastle fans are dancing in the streets celebrating, if it was us, we should all be in the streets protesting?
Like fuck they would

Fickle doesn’t cover a lot of our fans

Like the welcome that snake Kane got when he eventually decided to play for us after his disgraceful behaviour in the Summer

Every time he touched the ball he should have got shit!

So if we were taken over by a Saudi like regime we would be exactly like the Toon fans and in Tottenham High Road they would all be celebrating 🥳

Last edited:
We're not talking about random Saudis though are we? We're talking about the crown prince and government of Saudi Arabia owning Newcastle, not some random citizen. If the government of Saudi Arabia isn't responsible for the human rights horrors of the Saudi government, then I don't know who is.
Didn't they just undergo certain tests which ascertained that the government wouldn't be in charge and instead it is some other business entity? at least that will be the "front" of the organisation.

Like fuck they would

Fickle doesn’t cover a lot of our fans

Like the welcome that snake Kane got when he eventually decided to play for us after his disgraceful behaviour in the Summere

Every time he touched the ball he should have got shit!

So if we were taken over by a Saudi like regime we would be exactly like the Toon fans and in Tottenham High Road they would all be celebrating 🥳
I have to agree.

I think a few would follow their convictions and fair play to them, but most here are just jealous its not us. I say it as I see it.

I'd rather be 'just a customer' than an advocate-by-proxy for one of these shitty regimes.

If I tire of being a customer at any time; I can walk away with my principals still in tact.
Honestly I don't like any of it, I am genuinely considering walking away and have been for sometime now.

Football has been a morally corrupt sport for a long time now in terms of what it is for the paying supporters.

However, the regimes that are taking over these clubs now and the people celebrating it really is the final nail in the coffin for me I think.

I am conflicted because I love my club but I no longer love the sport.

Didn't they just undergo certain tests which ascertained that the government wouldn't be in charge and instead it is some other business entity? at least that will be the "front" of the organisation.

"Tests", you mean as watertight as FFP?

The Crown Prince is the chairman of PIF - who also happens to be the deputy prime minister and a defence secretary. I mean, it's not even "arms length" is it?

That true I have been shot every time I have been over, people love me in your country, they always welcome me with a bullet.
bbc series 25 GIF by Top Gear

Honestly I don't like any of it, I am genuinely considering walking away and have been for sometime now.

Football has been a morally corrupt sport for a long time now in terms of what it is for the paying supporters.

However, the regimes that are taking over these clubs now and the people celebrating it really is the final nail in the coffin for me I think.

I am conflicted because I love my club but I no longer love the sport.

To that ends we're on the same page; but....

I was asking another poster this the other day; how far do you think we'd need to go back to find a pure and morally respectable football?

Pre EPL? (Definately!)
70's?
60's?
Pre WWII?

.......Shady rich men have owned clubs for what feels like forever.

Back
Top Bottom