Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ability wise sure. But he pressed even less than Kane does currently. Man was useless when we didn't have the ball.

If you're an absolute sucker for a technically gifted player, I could maybe see why you prefer Berbatov. But just in terms of who was a more effective out and out centre forward for club and country, it isn't particularly close.

I assume we're comparing prime Kane to prime Berba, right? And prime Kane would arguably be the guy who bagged 30 league goals whilst still being a pressing force from the front. He was an animal of a CF that season.

Yeah, as mentioned, Kane a few years back all day, every day. Only a numpty like sammyspurs could say different. But technique wise Berbatov was unbelievable and was a joy to watch, albeit definitely lazy.

Yeah, as mentioned, Kane a few years back all day, every day. Only a numpty like sammyspurs could say different. But technique wise Berbatov was unbelievable and was a joy to watch, albeit definitely lazy.

I seem to remember even in his best scoring season (for United) 5 of his 20 goals game against a relegated Blackburn. So if we're calling Kane a flat track bully...

I seem to remember even in his best scoring season (for United) 5 of his 20 goals game against a relegated Blackburn. So if we're calling Kane a flat track bully...

Berbatov did the same thing as Kane and every other striker on the planet, which is to score most of his goals against lesser opposition. Most people get that. Only idiots with an agenda don't.

All about numbers for Kane
Just like Lineker

But no one talks about sublime skill

Because it's a subjective attribute. Ndombele has 'sublime skill' and is an entertainer, but nobody is taking him over a Kante or even a less entertaining but more productive creative midfielder. Kane's primary role as a CF was to get goals, he did that better than Berbatov, whilst offering a real presence up front and pressing defenders. Again, we're talking prime Kane. Not this season Kane.

You can say Berbatov was more entertaining. That's fair. But more entertaining and skilful doesn't equate to better player. Ronaldinho was more entertaining than Messi ever was, but he wasn't a better footballer by any stretch.

Because it's a subjective attribute. Ndombele has 'sublime skill' and is an entertainer, but nobody is taking him over a Kante or even a less entertaining but more productive creative midfielder. Kane's primary role as a CF was to get goals, he did that better than Berbatov, whilst offering a real presence up front and pressing defenders. Again, we're talking prime Kane. Not this season Kane.

You can say Berbatov was more entertaining. That's fair. But more entertaining and skilful doesn't equate to better player. Ronaldinho was more entertaining than Messi ever was, but he wasn't a better footballer by any stretch.
Ok Charlie Adam has a better touch than Ronaldo

People actually comparing Defoe and Kane. This place is senile. Defoe is pretty much Lucas Moura with better finishing and even worse passing.

It's absolutely batty. Defoe was basically just a pure goalscorer but with numbers barely half as good as Kane manages. He spent a bunch of time on the bench for that reason. Kane at both club and international level has shown a completely different level.

Short memories, I guess? I'm not happy with how Kane looks right now. He's on a bad run. But he's been a top 5 striker in world football for 4-5 seasons now, Defoe was never even top 5 in just the premier league. He did very well longevity wise, but for us he scored barely a goal every three games.

People actually comparing Defoe and Kane. This place is senile. Defoe is pretty much Lucas Moura with better finishing and even worse passing.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

That Liverpool side were hardly world-beaters.

It was properly average. Suarez had a great partner in Sturridge and Coutinho had quality, but otherwise it was abject mediocrity. Sterling was talented but even more wasteful than he is now, and Gerrard was ancient and only capable of sitting and being a set piece taker. Guys like Allen or Lucas Leiva filled the rest of the side.

Also had a horrendous backline. Flanagan was getting games (scored vs us lmao) and Skrtel, a geriatric Glen Johnson and flat nosed Mignolet were starters. The other cb was one of Agger/Sakho/K Toure. Just dreadful.

Suarez put in the best individual season of any PL player in history imo, absolutely carried them .. but wasn't enough.

Last edited:
It's absolutely batty. Defoe was basically just a pure goalscorer but with numbers barely half as good as Kane manages. He spent a bunch of time on the bench for that reason. Kane at both club and international level has shown a completely different level.

Short memories, I guess? I'm not happy with how Kane looks right now. He's on a bad run. But he's been a top 5 striker in world football for 4-5 seasons now, Defoe was never even top 5 in just the premier league. He did very well longevity wise, but for us he scored barely a goal every three games.
Can you post me to that debate, I’ve missed it?
Genuinely haven’t seen the comparison

Back
Top Bottom