Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting point - and a bit like Beckham at Utd, Bale at RM, Ronaldo, Messi - at what stage is the player bigger than the club? SAF could ditch Beckham because he was SAF; Zidane Bale for the same reason; Messi was - by all accounts - pretty much running Barca at times; Ronaldo did his best Ghaly when he was subbed the other week.

It takes a powerful coach to drop one of the best players in world / league / team - is Nuno that man? Whether it’s Levy’s influence or not, most of us probably wouldn’t drop him because he is, after all, Harry Kane and has a history of performing excellently. It’s the same reason many of us wanted a limping Bale walking up and down the wing last season- because we know what might happen.

Tricky place to be, in Nuno’s shoes…
Agree with all that so it depends on Nuno’s cojones if he’s got any

Time for him to stand up and be counted and dropping that lazy snake would be a good start

5Ks9PR.png

Indeed..... Bazali Bazali - That was indeed my mistake.... It WAS said.

I happily conceded I was wrong (at least twice!)..... Is this all a bit too complicated for you? 🙄

I defend Harry a lot, and I'll continue to defend his Spurs record. Regardless of the player he is now and in the future, he's been a wonderful player, a world-class striker, for years. I've even seen signs from him in a Spurs shirt this season that make me believe a run of form is on the horizon.

However, he was truly dog shit last night and for the first time I genuinely saw a lack of effort. I'm not even talking about him running around. I'm talking about letting average defenders get the better of him. Not challenging in the air. Losing the ball with a bad first touch and not even looking angry at himself that he allowed it to happen. It was League One stuff from a player capable of being up there with the very best in Europe, at his best.

I said months ago we should sell him even if we get 30 or 40 million less than what we valued him at. For our sake and his. And nothing that's happened since has made me think what I said was wrong.

Last edited:
Catastrophic miscalculation by Daniel Greedy that will set the club back a decade at least.
He should have been sold. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

We sniffed Martinez and Vlahavic, 5 in 7 for the former 4+1 in 7 for the latter.
We could have sold Kane and bought either or both and now we'll never get the same offer and those 2 will go up in value so we'll get neither.

But people still think we should have refused to sell for less than a silly number made up in their heads.
Well. Fucking. Done.

Catastrophic miscalculation by Daniel Greedy that will set the club back a decade at least.

We sniffed Martinez and Vlahavic, 5 in 7 for the former 4+1 in 7 for the latter.
We could have sold Kane and bought either or both and now we'll never get the same offer and those 2 will go up in value so we'll get neither.

But people still think we should have refused to sell for less than a silly number made up in their heads.
Well. Fucking. Done.

Martinez would only come for the money, and I think he would end up more trouble than he's worth. Agree that Kane should have been sold for the price City seemed prepared to pay though.

Well. Fucking. Done.
People here were feeling so smart with comments about how we should not go a penny under 160million and just because they are city, we should make them pay 200 million!!! Childish nonsense.

Bale was about to peak thats why we got a ridiculous world record fee for him.
Kane has already peaked some years ago and is on his way down. No ones paying 160-200million for him.

I dunno. City behaved abominably during the transfer window, clearly they were in discussions with Kane's brother, and in all likelihood encouraged Kane to act like a prat. I don't blame Levy for rejecting the only bid we know for sure happened (75m+ add ons) and the other bids were rumours/media noise but unconfirmed, so whilst I never miss an opportunity to crucify Levy, I won't based on that. City paid 100m straight up for Grealish in the same window, Kane had 3 years left .. we were entitled to a better offer.

It's whether Levy's ego got the better of him and he really did (as rumoured) just stop negotiating later in the window. You can see why he'd have been annoyed though, City pissed about the entire time then the rumours are only started putting in serious bids with no time at all to go. At that point replacing Kane becomes a nightmare and we're a prime target to be ripped off by other clubs.

Whatever actually happened, it's not been good for either side. But I'm not fully prepared to accept the 'its all Levy's fault for not selling' narrative when we still don't really know for sure how high City were actually going.

I dunno. City behaved abominably during the transfer window, clearly they were in discussions with Kane's brother, and in all likelihood encouraged Kane to act like a prat. I don't blame Levy for rejecting the only bid we know for sure happened (75m+ add ons) and the other bids were rumours/media noise but unconfirmed, so whilst I never miss an opportunity to crucify Levy, I won't based on that. City paid 100m straight up for Grealish in the same window, Kane had 3 years left .. we were entitled to a better offer.

It's whether Levy's ego got the better of him and he really did (as rumoured) just stop negotiating later in the window. You can see why he'd have been annoyed though, City pissed about the entire time then the rumours are only started putting in serious bids with no time at all to go. At that point replacing Kane becomes a nightmare and we're a prime target to be ripped off by other clubs.

Whatever actually happened, it's not been good for either side. But I'm not fully prepared to accept the 'its all Levy's fault for not selling' narrative when we still don't really know for sure how high City were actually going.
You've just kinda shown it to be Levy's fault, because rather than act the wounded prick he should have been doing everything in his power to get the best deal for Spurs.

The facts were, the player very clearly didn't want to be at Spurs, has a history of injuries etc. the rumours about his relationship with Levy were there and his frame of mind for the season was going to be questionable.

Levy, saving face did the Levy thing, took the easy way out. Ignore City's calls, ignore everything Kane said and did and just hope it all worked out.

Now we're suffering for it.

We now have a lame player and no money.
Levy fucked us. All in the name of pride and egotism.

You've just kinda shown it to be Levy's fault, because rather than act the wounded prick he should have been doing everything in his power to get the best deal for Spurs.

The facts were, the player very clearly didn't want to be at Spurs, has a history of injuries etc. the rumours about his relationship with Levy were there and his frame of mind for the season was going to be questionable.

Levy, saving face did the Levy thing, took the easy way out. Ignore City's calls, ignore everything Kane said and did and just hope it all worked out.

Well yeah, that's Levy. I think he probably thought he was making a stand against City's tactics, and he probably felt he'd 'won' when the transfer window shut. But I believe the reports of Levy not even negotiating only came out with like a week left. City didn't exactly leave us much time to get a replacement.

But the other facts were he had 3 years left, had just been the league's top scorer + assister, hadn't had injury issues all season, is still only in his twenties for a CF, and is the star man + figurehead of the club. So we were entitled as a club to expect a fair fee, something higher than City paid for a 25 year old creative player who was barely in the England side yet.

My biggest gripe would be whether he was refusing to properly negotiate from the start, which wouldn't surprise me at all. If he had it in his head he was going to keep Kane regardless, then he's properly screwed us.

If City were dragging their heels in terms of a serious offers (which they clearly were) then time-wise you have to draw a line at some point..... (See United/BVB/Sancho summer 2020)

....Otherwise you're just on a mad dash in the final days of the window forced to overpay on any old place-holder striker. Presumably people didn't want a Berbatov scenario all over again? (Even though the Berba scenario isn't directly comparable as we still had other STs on the books.)

My guess is if the Martinez offer would have been accepted when reported earlier in the window, then the domino's may have fallen, but Inter blocked it.

If City were dragging their heels in terms of a serious offers (which they clearly were) then time-wise you have to draw a line at some point..... (See United/BVB/Sancho summer 2020)

....Otherwise you're just on a mad dash in the final days of the window forced to overpay on any old place-holder striker. Presumably people didn't want a Berbatov scenario all over again? (Even though the Berba scenario isn't directly comparable as he still had other STs on the books)

My guess is if the Martinez offer would have been accepted when reported earlier in the window, then the domino's may have fallen, but Inter blocked it.

This is where I stand. The 'city are offering 100m+' and 'levy isn't negotiating' rumours in the media came within the last week or so.

Who do we go for then? Nobody wants to sell their top class CF with a week to go. Fiorentina would've mugged us off for Vlahovic, who at this point could still be a flash in the pan, and would have been moving to a much different league, being expected to replace Kane. That doesn't sound smart to me.

City left us in a shit situation. Now maybe Levy could have done more earlier in the window, but I can't really say for sure (none of us can) because we have no idea how their negotiating tactics went at that point.

This is where I stand. The 'city are offering 100m+' and 'levy isn't negotiating' rumours in the media came within the last week or so.

Who do we go for then? Nobody wants to sell their top class CF with a week to go. Fiorentina would've mugged us off for Vlahovic, who at this point could still be a flash in the pan, and would have been moving to a much different league, being expected to replace Kane. That doesn't sound smart to me.

City left us in a shit situation. Now maybe Levy could have done more earlier in the window, but I can't really say for sure (none of us can) because we have no idea how their negotiating tactics went at that point.

As reliable as most rumours are; the Charly wedding story told us we'd agree a fee of 160m in the first half of the window...... Obv. that never came to pass and we are still left wondering if they'd even bid more than 75m + add ons.

It's definitely quickly forgotten how cunty City/Kane played their hand in all this.

But the supposed "Transfer Window Genius" should have planned for all eventualities.

And lets be honest, you think Levy doesn't use the same tricks when he's looking to buy players? Why do you think or signings normally come late in the window?

Anyway, weren't we definitely bringing in another striker who would play alongside Kane? And still we didn't sign a striker.

My biggest gripe would be whether he was refusing to properly negotiate from the start, which wouldn't surprise me at all. If he had it in his head he was going to keep Kane regardless, then he's properly screwed us.
Even if he had it in his head that he may let Kane go only for that ridiculous 160 , hes properly screwed us especialy as Kane didnt even want to be here.

Back
Top Bottom