Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, that's my point. If he was doing the other things he's capable of well then a lack of movement wouldn't stand out so much. But his touch is poor at the moment, he's not winning headers and he's not pinging passes all over the pitch like he's shown that he can do when he has dropped deep.
Yeah. So you could say he’s bang average at times
:letmyselfout:

Back to back seasons of world-class performances isn't form. During that period he was playing at a world class level for a CF. He then had ankle injuries which made him slow down with the pressing and become more of the kind of forward we see now.

In 19/20 I think someone could make an argument for him being in a world 22 as well. He made the Ballon d'or list, so it's not just Spurs fans who think it. Probably on the bench with Lewandowski starting in the 11, but that version of Kane was in the debate.

Personally I'm not a fan of the modern version of Kane, but I much prefer a more combative, dynamic forward.
Of course it’s form, as shown by the steady decline since

In every other major team sport in the world, that's how they define it, more or less. For instance, in the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB, there's a exhibition/friendly with the world's best players. Players that get selected to the game are called All-Stars or Pro Bowlers instead of 'World Class.' Players that don't make the game are simply just called a 'good player' or some variation of that.

If a game like that was held in football, 11v11, Kane would most likely not make that game, even in 2016/2017.

Meh, American definitions. I don't think that's logical at all, there are a lot of players who I believe were at a world class level but missed out on a world XI because they happened to exist in the same era as someone in their position who is an all time great. That's just unlucky.

Probably not, but he makes the squad. And regardless of whatever definition we decide on, he was an unreal striker back then.

The world class debate is pointless, everyone has a different definition for what is world class is.

Kane is the best striker we have had in decades. Could we replace him with anyone close to his ability? No.

Of course it’s form, as shown by the steady decline since

He got injuries. He steadily rose to that point of being world class, then since then has had several bad ankle issues which have clearly impacted his mobility to the point where he's adjusted his game. He operated at a world class level from 2016-2018. Two years is far too long to put down to form, form is over a period of months.

What happens if Man City come for Son next summer, do we act like pussies and sell too?
Or come for Skipp in 3 years time, do we sell then too?

Not selling Kane in the summer was about the bigger picture and not selling out to bullies. Thats not how you deal with them. You deal with them by not giving in. It was bigger than one player. Pretty obvious really.

Does make you wonder why people weren't more forgiving over the sale of Walker if the worry was that players always sulk when they don't get the move they want.

Kane is the best striker we have had in decades. Could we replace him with anyone close to his ability? No.
When Kane went down, Son stepped in and has put up great numbers and helped us get results so I guess you could say Son?

He has like 50 goal contributions in 50 apps or something like that playing as a CF. And he's not even a real striker.

The world class debate is pointless, everyone has a different definition for what is world class is.

This is true, world class will always be a controversial term because nobody is willing to nail down a proper definition for the term. I for one am certainly not willing to accept the American definition where you absolutely have to be the best in your position, or whatever.

Does make you wonder why people weren't more forgiving over the sale of Walker if the worry was that players always sulk when they don't get the move they want.

I remember thinking 50 mill was too high a bid to turn down for a right back when we had Trippier as well .. I still don't know if I was right or wrong on that one.

Meh, American definitions. I don't think that's logical at all, there are a lot of players who I believe were at a world class level but missed out on a world XI because they happened to exist in the same era as someone in their position who is an all time great. That's just unlucky.

Probably not, but he makes the squad. And regardless of whatever definition we decide on, he was an unreal striker back then.
Being 4th or 5th best in a position at a given time is not world class in my book. You can still be considered very good, but world class? Naw. That's just me though.

This is true, world class will always be a controversial term because nobody is willing to nail down a proper definition for the term. I for one am certainly not willing to accept the American definition where you absolutely have to be the best in your position, or whatever.
Another reason why I would argue that he wasn't world class is because none of his teammates really spoke that highly of him. At least not in the way some fans talk about him. Not a single player he played with during our golden years singled him out as our best player. Zero. They all said Dembele and Dembele was never widely considered world class.

I remember thinking 50 mill was too high a bid to turn down for a right back when we had Trippier as well .. I still don't know if I was right or wrong on that one.
£50m for Walker, leaving on our terms is not necessarily bad business sense, failing to adequately replace him is. We've spent more than that fee on right backs and are worse off. That's the poor decision (s).

Whatever we get for Kane (if he goes), we won't replace his optimum output for that fee.

When Kane went down, Son stepped in and has put up great numbers and helped us get results so I guess you could say Son?

He has like 50 goal contributions in 50 apps or something like that playing as a CF. And he's not even a real striker.
But can son consistently produce as the main focus of the team? We don't know as he's only had to do it for a few games each season. Whereas Kane has done it year after year.

Kane brings out the best in son and vice versa. Just look at the goal combination stats they are close to the greatest in pl history. Without Kane we are far poorer team.

Another reason why I wouldn't say he's world class is because none of his teammates really spoke that highly of him. At least not in the way some fans talk about him. Not a single player he played with during our golden years singled him out as our best player. Zero. They all said Dembele and Dembele was never widely considered world class.

I'd take videos like this with a pinch of salt. Dembele was incredible (one of the reasons he wasn't considered WC was his injuries and because he didn't find the role he suited till late on) but he was a player that other players will love. He enabled others to play their game with the space he opened up for them via his runs and the fact he was press resistant. He's the kind of guy it's a joy to play with.

And Kane has been called world class by loads of his teammates. Skipp only recently said he was a world class striker and pretty much everyone who has trained with him has only had good things to say. Managers like Conte and Guardiola have referred to him as a world class player too, and Mourinho post-Spurs said he was one of the best players he worked with.

Plenty of ex managers/players/coaches have only good things to say about Kane as a player.

I agree on all counts (even though I'd have prefered him to stay). However, plenty of people rattled out the 'selling club' memes cos it suited them....

Back
Top Bottom