Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Without Kane we are far poorer team.
That's not true at all. See our results/record without Kane below. We are not a 'far poorer team.' Our record/results look better without Kane even during the last 12-18 months where we've gone to shit.

Since the 18-19 season w/o Kane Starting but w/ Son playing >60 mins

Premier League

12 Wins
2 Draws
5 Losses
*19 matches, 38 points

Champions League
Dortmund (1 leg) - Advance
Man City (x2 legs) - Advance
Ajax (x2 legs) - Advance

Europa League
Lask (1 leg) - Win

FA Cup
Middlesbrough - Advance
Southampton - Advance

To be fair, nobody knew he would be like this after the decent season he had under Jose.

I'm not sure it is confidence. It looks as if he is slowly trotting about trying to avoid an injury to get his precious move to City/Newcastle.
I think the ship has sailed regarding City. I think their next striker will be Haaland. Newcastle looming now.

I'd take videos like this with a pinch of salt. Dembele was incredible (one of the reasons he wasn't considered WC was his injuries and because he didn't find the role he suited till late on) but he was a player that other players will love. He enabled others to play their game with the space he opened up for them via his runs and the fact he was press resistant. He's the kind of guy it's a joy to play with.

And Kane has been called world class by loads of his teammates. Skipp only recently said he was a world class striker and pretty much everyone who has trained with him has only had good things to say. Managers like Conte and Guardiola have referred to him as a world class player too, and Mourinho post-Spurs said he was one of the best players he worked with.

Plenty of ex managers/players/coaches have only good things to say about Kane as a player.
These aren't pundits or fans. These guys play, train, live, breathe, eat and sleep with one another. I'm not sure how much more of a reliable source you are looking for.

This is as close to a real answer as you're going to get.

£50m for Walker, leaving on our terms is not necessarily bad business sense, failing to adequately replace him is. We've spent more than that fee on right backs and are worse off. That's the poor decision (s).

Poch chose Aurier(*) and bombed Trippier out a year later too.
Jose chose Doherty

....Bummer. :(

(*I'm not Serge's biggest hater, but still....)

Whatever we get for Kane (if he goes), we won't replace his optimum output for that fee.

We weren't likely to in the summer either..... Was Martinez set to be an EPL goal machine? Hard to say so for sure.

Let's be honest, what proven mega-strikers are gonna come here anyway?

The comment I responded to:

"In the history of football it's never been a positive thing whatsoever to keep a player that wants to be somewhere else."

Besides, what's being brought into question here is HKs mentality.

If you think he's finished, then dulynoted but only time will tell.....
I don't think he is finished, no, he will still score goals and prove his worth.
What I have previously stated and will continue to is that every player has a value at a given point in time and I think if we were offered £100m for Harry in the summer we ought to have taken that figure.
In terms of the mentality point, I have no doubt HK is a professional and may be telling himself he is focussing solely on Spurs. However, surely subconsciously even he is thinking about his transfer situation. He wants to win things and won't be doing that with the current Spurs team. That'd affect any human being, whether they tell themselves it won't or not.

But can son consistently produce as the main focus of the team? We don't know as he's only had to do it for a few games each season. Whereas Kane has done it year after year.

Kane brings out the best in son and vice versa. Just look at the goal combination stats they are close to the greatest in pl history. Without Kane we are far poorer team.

This is very much the elephant in the room regarding Sonny.... He succumbs to baron spells every season...... Between he & Kane they have tended to balance each others dips in form and/or injured spells out.

These aren't pundits or fans. These guys play, train, live, breathe, eat and sleep with one another. I'm not sure how much more of a reliable source you are looking for.

This is as close to a real answer as you're going to get.

Nor are Mourinho, Conte, Skipp or Guardiola. And Mourinho coached Kane for a long time, and has a better knowledge of football than any of our players, by a country mile.

It isn't. It's subjective based on them having a preference for the kind of player they enjoy watching and who benefits their own game. Mousa Dembele was a player's player. And the fact he wasn't regarded as world class doesn't mean that wasn't their opinion. If you asked them I'm sure they'd have said he was too.

And I loved Dembele. But I bet if you asked those players 'is Kane world class?' they'd have absolutely said yes. Just because they had love for a player who was undervalued by the media at the time, doesn't mean they didn't rate Kane highly.

That's not true at all. See our results/record without Kane below. We are not a 'far poorer team.' Our record/results look better without Kane even during the last 12-18 months where we've gone to shit.

Since the 18-19 season w/o Kane Starting but w/ Son playing >60 mins

Premier League

12 Wins
2 Draws
5 Losses
*19 matches, 38 points

Champions League
Dortmund (1 leg) - Advance
Man City (x2 legs) - Advance
Ajax (x2 legs) - Advance

Europa League
Lask (1 leg) - Win

FA Cup
Middlesbrough - Advance
Southampton - Advance
But that's a small sample compared to with Kane. You really think with son up front we would have done better in the league over the last 5 years?

The world class debate is pointless, everyone has a different definition for what is world class is.

Kane is the best striker we have had in decades. Could we replace him with anyone close to his ability? No.

Yeah but village idiot sammyspurs thinks we could replace him with Jay Rodriguez and there would be no difference to the team.

Nor are Mourinho, Conte, Skipp or Guardiola. And Mourinho coached Kane for a long time, and has a better knowledge of football than any of our players, by a country mile.

It isn't. It's subjective based on them having a preference for the kind of player they enjoy watching and who benefits their own game. Mousa Dembele was a player's player. And the fact he wasn't regarded as world class doesn't mean that wasn't their opinion. If you asked them I'm sure they'd have said he was too.

And I loved Dembele. But I bet if you asked those players 'is Kane world class?' they'd have absolutely said yes. Just because they had love for a player who was undervalued by the media at the time, doesn't mean they didn't rate Kane highly.
I'm not saying Kane wasn't a good player during the 16/17 season and of course he deserves praise and he was praised by his teammates, managers etc. He was great.

But basing my claim on what our actual players were saying. I will repeat it again.

All of our Spurs players that were asked the question regarding who our best player was said 'Dembele' without hesitation. Dele, Rose, Moura, Dier, Wanyama, Winks etc.

So if our best player Dembele was never widely considered world class would another player on our team be considered world class? I don't get that logic at all.

Remember, Pep rated Winks and Sir Alex rated Dele so I'd take things with a grain of salt when it comes to managers. They can be wrong just as fans can.

It's almost like Kane started off this season knowing his best chance to win things had passed when he didn't get the transfer to City. Almost like he knew Spurs and England had blown any chances and his last chance relied on getting a transfer.
He must just, love, Daniel.

I'm not saying Kane wasn't a good player during the 16/17 season and of course he deserves praise and he was praised by his teammates, managers etc. He was great.

But basing my claim on what our actual players were saying. I will repeat it again.

All of our Spurs players that were asked the question regarding who our best player was said 'Dembele' without hesitation. Dele, Rose, Moura, Dier, Wanyama, Winks etc.

So if our best player Dembele was never widely considered world class would another player on our team be considered world class? I don't get that logic at all.

Remember, Pep rated Winks and Sir Alex rated Dele so I'd take things with a grain of salt when it comes to managers. They can be wrong just as fans can.

That's an awful lot of world class managers, players and coaches who were wrong.

And as I said, Dembele was undervalued and underappreciated, so a clear candidate for the players directly naming. Whilst he wasn't considered WC by the outside world, he probably was by them. Personally I think his performances in that role were around that level, he was sensational.

Again, he was a player's player. Have you ever played with a midfielder who can take 2-3 players out of the game, is impossible to knock off the ball and leaves you in space a lot because everyone's sucked in to his orbit?

I imagine it's quite fun to play alongside. I'd probably rate him a little higher than everyone else too. All that video told me is that there are positions and roles which go undervalued by fans in general, but are valued far more highly by players.

He got injuries. He steadily rose to that point of being world class, then since then has had several bad ankle issues which have clearly impacted his mobility to the point where he's adjusted his game. He operated at a world class level from 2016-2018. Two years is far too long to put down to form, form is over a period of months.
Kane’s missed 3 of the last 54 PL games through injury plus played a Euros.

Despite scoring a lot, I don’t think he’s been world class in that time.
It’s more than enough games to get going and show what he could do in 2017.

But he can’t play like that anymore, because that period of his career is over

Back
Top Bottom