Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
But you have to factor in the loss of CL revenue, CL match day revenue etc - the drop off will cost us £150M. Granted some or all will be offset by stadium revenue increase but will still be down vs say 2019

Net spend will still be frugal

Seems strange someone from your position offering up reasons not to spend.

CL or not so long as the stadium stays open we ought to be in a position to clock up an increased player expenditure in the coming summers.....

If this doesn't transpire, then basically fuck the whole new stadium get-up.

Seems strange someone from your position offering up reasons not to spend.

CL or not so long as the stadium stays open we ought to be in a position to clock up an increased player expenditure in the coming summers.....

If this doesn't transpire, then basically fuck the whole new stadium get-up.
If we were still in the CL then yeah I could see us making big moves and regularly putting down 100M net spend. The drop off from no CL offsets that and puts us back to 2018/19

If we were still in the CL then yeah I could see us making big moves and regularly putting down 100M net spend. The drop off from no CL offsets that and puts us back to 2018/19

I think you're massively over-estimating the CL revenue:

"Bayern earned €130m in total (including television revenue) for winning the trophy in 2020. Liverpool’s total the year before was lower at around €111m. "

This is before paying player bonuses etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At one point the stadium was projected to be worth £35/£40m to us per season..... Even if we're not in the CL; we're also not part-funding the stadium project anymore so (allowing for vague formulae):

EPL money minus stadium finance repayments = Base player expenditure kitty (wages/trf fees)

+ extra £35/£40m per season.

= Increased spending.

(Sure this is massively simplified and CL would be all the better, but we still ought to see an increase upon what we would be our base spending thanks to the new gaff.)

CL is/was a variable and we've never been in a position to take that for granted; financially or in terms of stature.

the trouble with being in the CL is you have to pay CL wages/bonus + have better CL players
I've been saying it for 10 yrs, Levy has worked out how much extra revenue you get from CL against how much you need to spend on wages,bonus, transfers tec and he will only spend when he needs to to keep money flowing in

I don't know about that. He seems like a guy with an itch he can't scratch when it comes to Spurs. He didn't achieve what he intended and wants to finish the job. I really do think he loves the club and fans.
It's what he says. But our structure hasn't changed for the better in his two-year absence and a huge percentage of the players that ultimately cost him his job are still here. Having cost another manager his, and doing the same to current incumbent.

I'd steer well clear. Imagine going back to an ex-partner after she's been destroyed by a well-hung fellow and given syphilis to boot. That's what Spurs is like to Poch right now.

It's what he says. But our structure hasn't changed for the better in his two-year absence and a huge percentage of the players that ultimately cost him his job are still here. Having cost another manager his, and doing the same to current incumbent.

I'd steer well clear. Imagine going back to an ex-partner after she's been destroyed by a well-hung fellow and given syphilis to boot. That's what Spurs is like to Poch right now.
Poch left giving us the syphilis anyway. Bought in some proper shite near the end. We are still trying to recover from it.

There has been massive changes in the squad since Poch left. There are still a few players left but we have managed to downgraded our squad massively since 2017/18. The fact is we have had two unsuitable managers who struggle with coaching teams in possession.

I think that it is time for him to nail down a formation and system. We've been shifting things around in the first couple of games to try and see what works. Time for Nuno to put his foot down on one specific formula and run with it.

Even if Nuno is a dead man walking, I think everyone in his position would prefer to go out on his own terms.

I dunno, Gollini, Emerson, Doherty, Romero, Rodon, Tanganga, Reguilon, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Bergwijn, Gil (Sarr, Scarlett, Devine ) all players who spent little or no time playing under Poch. By the time next season comes around, or the season after, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our manager again.

I dunno, Gollini, Emerson, Doherty, Romero, Rodon, Tanganga, Reguilon, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Bergwijn, Gil (Sarr, Scarlett, Devine ) all players who spent little or no time playing under Poch. By the time next season comes around, or the season after, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our manager again.

I think it's better for all parties that he has another job after PSG before coming back.

Apart from managing egos, he'll learn little from his time there and at best we'll just repeat the cycle of his time here.

There has been massive changes in the squad since Poch left. There are still a few players left but we have managed to downgraded our squad massively since 2017/18. The fact is we have had two unsuitable managers who struggle with coaching teams in possession.
We could probably put together a starting 11 of players that were around when Poch was.

Lloris
Tanganga Dier Sanchez Davies
GLC Ndombele
Son Dele Moura
Kane

Some would even be on the bench. Winks, Sess, Clarke, Skipp

That's 15 of the 25 man squad.

Who knows. Yep very much doubt Levy delivered any of his first choices, and if he did they were probably a year or two late

That creature is a rotten apple

Ndombele was definitely his first choice. Pochettino loved him, there's loads of evidence out there for this. It's not like he was a cheap as chips option either, he was 50 million and got given 200k a week. He was just a rubbish call by Pochettino, I love the man but he's not infallible.

Lo Celso was definitely his call as well. And if I remember correctly he had been an admirer of Sessegnon for a while. He definitely got players he wanted a year or two late, but that window had his mark all over it, and it was bad.

I think it's better for all parties that he has another job after PSG before coming back.

Apart from managing egos, he'll learn little from his time there and at best we'll just repeat the cycle of his time here.
I don't have a strong opinion either way, I could see it working well, but it could also go not so well. Another window next summer similar to what we've just had (players the profile of Gil, Romero, Emerson, Sarr) leaves us in a good place for a Poch return imo. Bring in more youth/athleticism to the RW, ST, CM positions and he could whip the team into good shape. Repeating the cycle of his time here.. I can think of worse things. His time here was quite good, we were in the top 4 most years, challenged for the title and made a CL final.

Back
Top Bottom