Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
I dunno, Gollini, Emerson, Doherty, Romero, Rodon, Tanganga, Reguilon, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Bergwijn, Gil (Sarr, Scarlett, Devine ) all players who spent little or no time playing under Poch. By the time next season comes around, or the season after, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our manager again.

How many of those are:

A) Actually any good?
B) Capable of walking into the top four teams?

That's the benchmark. None of them is the answer.

Romero was defender of the year, Skipp is young and Tanganga shows promise. Most of that list can't even get regular minutes in our first team. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

I think this is true and yes he is a better coach than the one we have but isn't it feared there are a couple of skeletons in Ralph's cupboard that the British press would have loved. Beyond the dopey unenlightened comment he made about a player. Thats what I was told
Yeah. I've also heard some of those stories.

Not to mention his want for control over the transfer department which would probably not have gelled with the Paratici appointment. In a scenario were Paratici was no recruited it would have made more sense but that's an alternative timeline for us.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, I could see it working well, but it could also go not so well. Another window next summer similar to what we've just had (players the profile of Gil, Romero, Emerson, Sarr) leaves us in a good place for a Poch return imo. Bring in more youth/athleticism to the RW, ST, CM positions and he could whip the team into good shape. Repeating the cycle of his time here.. I can think of worse things. His time here was quite good, we were in the top 4 most years, challenged for the title and made a CL final.

I don't disagree with any of that as such..... I just have the popular notion that he has 'unfinished business' to resolve in mind (trophy?).

The deck is further stacked since he was last here too..... Newcastle, United rejuvenated, Liverpool at their peak.... Potentially lesser players (No starlet ST).

Ideally we'd want a new and improved Poch 2.0.

Last edited:
I don't have a strong opinion either way, I could see it working well, but it could also go not so well. Another window next summer similar to what we've just had (players the profile of Gil, Romero, Emerson, Sarr) leaves us in a good place for a Poch return imo. Bring in more youth/athleticism to the RW, ST, CM positions and he could whip the team into good shape. Repeating the cycle of his time here.. I can think of worse things. His time here was quite good, we were in the top 4 most years, challenged for the title and made a CL final.
That’s obviously what they are looking at, but putting in Nuno who’s both thoroughly mediocre at best and even more importantly, philosophically at odds with Poch is tantamount to putting the club in limbo for 1-2 years, and that Normally means automatic regression for the club.

I don't think we should be talking about getting Poch back. We're much better off supporting our existing manager. Nuno won the match against Villa so he deserves our backing for the foreseeable future.

#NunoSanto'sBlueandWhiteArmy

I wish Poch all the best at PSG and I hope he gets all the success they want. I would much rather they won the CL than Man City.

As for us, I'd like us to win the ECL. It's our chance to help establish a new competition. When Tottenham Hotspur win a trophy people take notice. "Tottenham won this" sounds a lot better than "Tottenham fielded a weak team and were beaten by a team whose name we can't remember" and if we take the competition seriously other clubs will too and the competition will grow in stature and importance.

European football became prestigious because clubs like Manchester United and ourselves made a commitment to it. We showed the world that it was worth something. That's what we need to do with the Europa Conference League.

Full credit to Nuno for playing the best possible team in the ECL our squad will permit.

I don't think we should be talking about getting Poch back. We're much better off supporting our existing manager. Nuno won the match against Villa so he deserves our backing for the foreseeable future.

#NunoSanto'sBlueandWhiteArmy

I wish Poch all the best at PSG and I hope he gets all the success they want. I would much rather they won the CL than Man City.

As for us, I'd like us to win the ECL. It's our chance to help establish a new competition. When Tottenham Hotspur win a trophy people take notice. "Tottenham won this" sounds a lot better than "Tottenham fielded a weak team and were beaten by a team whose name we can't remember" and if we take the competition seriously other clubs will too and the competition will grow in stature and importance.

European football became prestigious because clubs like Manchester United and ourselves made a commitment to it. We showed the world that it was worth something. That's what we need to do with the Europa Conference League.

Full credit to Nuno for playing the best possible team in the ECL our squad will permit.
The only thing that could be more embarrassing than winning the ECL is not winning the ECL. We're in it, fucking win the thing (and hope doing so involves turning over Mourinho and Roma in the final).

I think it's better for all parties that he has another job after PSG before coming back.

Apart from managing egos, he'll learn little from his time there and at best we'll just repeat the cycle of his time here.
I honestly don't expect Poch to ever manage Spurs again. I know whats been said by both sides in the press, but its one of those things that's easier to talk about than actually implement. The timing has to line up - we have to be in a spot where we want a new manager at the same time when he wants a new job. That in and of itself is hard enough to see coming off.

On top of that, our needs have to be met by his qualities. That's no guarantee ever, and that's not a reflection of him. All managers have limits, and not all squads/situations fit all managers. He fit Spurs very well when he was hired, but it turned sour at the end for a reason - he was no longer the same manager and we were no longer the same club...we'd diverged.

Spurs should always try to hire the best manager for our situation at each step along the journey. The odds of that really being the same man twice in one career are long.

I honestly don't expect Poch to ever manage Spurs again. I know whats been said by both sides in the press, but its one of those things that's easier to talk about than actually implement. The timing has to line up - we have to be in a spot where we want a new manager at the same time when he wants a new job. That in and of itself is hard enough to see coming off.

On top of that, our needs have to be met by his qualities. That's no guarantee ever, and that's not a reflection of him. All managers have limits, and not all squads/situations fit all managers. He fit Spurs very well when he was hired, but it turned sour at the end for a reason - he was no longer the same manager and we were no longer the same club...we'd diverged.

Spurs should always try to hire the best manager for our situation at each step along the journey. The odds of that really being the same man twice in one career are long.
I want Poch back one day. But at the same time I wish that we could also just move on and soldier on in a new direction instead of trying to re catch lightning in a bottle.

Most likely not with Nuno at the helm. But going for someone new and giving them the right to stamp their mark on the team.

I want Poch back one day. But at the same time I wish that we could also just move on and soldier on in a new direction instead of trying to re catch lightning in a bottle.

Most likely not with Nuno at the helm. But going for someone new and giving them the right to stamp their mark on the team.
I'm still not out on Nuno, despite what everyone is saying. To this point in his first season, Poch looked like a nightmare and everyone was bemoaning Levy being cheap and hiring a fraud just because he wouldn't demand expensive signings.

We react way too quickly these days.

How many of those are:

A) Actually any good?
B) Capable of walking into the top four teams?

That's the benchmark. None of them is the answer.

Romero was defender of the year, Skipp is young and Tanganga shows promise. Most of that list can't even get regular minutes in our first team. Hardly a ringing endorsement.
I disagree. There’s some real talent and potential there

I was going to copy and paste the whole article, but it’s very long 😂

datawrapper.gif

I was going to copy and paste the whole article, but it’s very long 😂

datawrapper.gif

This is why Nuno won't get the leeway Pochettino did. Fundamentally as a team who has aspirations to be in the top 6, the fans demand playing on the front foot. You won't get that consistently by playing passively and not pressing. It's 2021.

He had a reputation for playing stale defensive football at Wolves, so fans aren't going to want to give him time to fully establish that here. If we don't see at least some energy and desire each week, Nuno doesn't deserve the time of day.

This is why Nuno won't get the leeway Pochettino did. Fundamentally as a team who has aspirations to be in the top 6, the fans demand playing on the front foot. You won't get that consistently by playing passively and not pressing. It's 2021.

He had a reputation for playing stale defensive football at Wolves, so fans aren't going to want to give him time to fully establish that here. If we don't see at least some energy and desire each week, Nuno doesn't deserve the time of day.
I can't believe Levy was stupid enough to replace Mourinho with Mourinho 2.0.

Dull and defensive football is really only ever marginally acceptable if it's successful. If the results are poor and so is the style of play he won't last long.

I don't see any signs of that changing. Levy has really lost the plot.

Why? We’ve been woeful in the shitcunt Europa mess forever, this is a double mess. Why on earth would we up our game in front of 10k fans
I don't understand what you're saying. I agree we probably won't win it.

We're by far the most talented squad playing in the competition, however, and therefore we should win it - not doing so would be an embarrassing failure.

Back
Top Bottom