Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is fair enough and I always say that it's good to keep tabs on a player like this but keep the same energy for the good things he does in the game in that case, it's all well and good pointing out someone's flaws (I mean we can all do that with every player) but you should in theory make a list of the good shit he does to get a balanced view.

And also things like this need context
He does good things of course. However, there are always errors in this game. If you analysed Van Dijk. You would never see this amount of errors.

Here's my gripe with Dier. Some people have had the audacity to say he's been having a good season. Firstly we've conceded a lot of goals this season (more than a lot of teams).

In each game he's done something wrong :

1) Man City - Gives the ball away really cheaply early on. Luckily Foden misses.
2) Wolves - Its his poor play which gifts Traore that massive chance that Lloris saves.
3) Watford - Ok to be fair nothing wrong here.
4) Crystal Palace - Only played a bit of the 1st half so no time
5) Chelsea - Marking on corner for 1st goal poor. 2nd goal massive deflection off him.
6) Woolwich - Like Sanchez all over the place and all 3 goals so easy for Woolwich
7) Aston Villa - Fails to either cut the ball out or mark Watkins leaving him an easy tap in
8) Newcastle - His own goal

Its not even over analysing. Every game he makes 1 big error , 1 poor decision. Earlier on they were not being exploited. Now they are. HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!
Just to say for a bit of balance though for Villa/Newcastle games Romero was poor in his defending too. He didn't help Dier here.

He does good things of course. However, there are always errors in this game. If you analysed Van Dijk. You would never see this amount of errors.

Well comparing him or anyone to Van Dijk who is probably the best CB in the world is a little bit silly don't you think?

Tottenham Hotspur writer Jack Pitt-Brooke has claimed that Eric Dier is the ‘glue in the Tottenham dressing room’.

So far this season, Spurs have drifted from one extreme to the other. After winning their first three games of the new campaign, they then lost their following three.

The ship has been steadied once more, however, with Tottenham claiming back-to-back wins against Aston Villa and Newcastle United.

One ever-present in the starting lineup for the club this season has been Dier. Indeed, the defender has started all eight of Spurs’ league fixtures up to this point.

He explained how, saying: “He’s so good on intangibles, as they say: leadership, organisation, communication. I think he, more than anyone else, is the kind of glue in the Tottenham dressing room.

“I think he’s not someone who’s just got two or three mates he hangs around with all the time. He’s friends with all the English players, he’s friends with the Spanish-speaking players – Dier himself speaks Spanish.

“Yeah, sometimes he makes bad mistakes, and yeah, he made a pretty clumsy mistake at the end of the game [on Sunday].

“But there’s a lot of upside with Dier that is difficult to detect, but I do think that Tottenham are better off with him in the team than not.”

Tottenham Hotspur writer Jack Pitt-Brooke has claimed that Eric Dier is the ‘glue in the Tottenham dressing room’.

So far this season, Spurs have drifted from one extreme to the other. After winning their first three games of the new campaign, they then lost their following three.

The ship has been steadied once more, however, with Tottenham claiming back-to-back wins against Aston Villa and Newcastle United.

One ever-present in the starting lineup for the club this season has been Dier. Indeed, the defender has started all eight of Spurs’ league fixtures up to this point.

He explained how, saying: “He’s so good on intangibles, as they say: leadership, organisation, communication. I think he, more than anyone else, is the kind of glue in the Tottenham dressing room.

“I think he’s not someone who’s just got two or three mates he hangs around with all the time. He’s friends with all the English players, he’s friends with the Spanish-speaking players – Dier himself speaks Spanish.

“Yeah, sometimes he makes bad mistakes, and yeah, he made a pretty clumsy mistake at the end of the game [on Sunday].

“But there’s a lot of upside with Dier that is difficult to detect, but I do think that Tottenham are better off with him in the team than not.”
Wasnt sissoko also a leader in the dressing room

Dier is 100% one of our glue guys to steal a term from basketball.

I realise this ain't the populist view... but fuck it, I'm just gonna say it:
I really like Eric Dier!!!

In any other life at ANY other club, he'd be Captain, Legend, Leader etc etc....

But at Spurs, he's still derided by some and untrusted by many fans... yes, he's made a few mistakes, but there's summit about him that is bigger and better than that, and very likeable.
He has an aura of authority that sometimes belies his ability.

If he ever left us, he'd thrive at another club, and we'd be wondering what we let go...

He's not an Aurier, or Ekotto, or Vega type of liability defender... His brain farts seem to have an honesty about them, rather than rashness...
I dunno, I know I'm in the minority, but I just like him.

....and so did Poch, Jose & Nuno for whatever reason!!

Maybe he's got compromising pics of someone! :dierno::dier:

In any other life at ANY other club, he'd be Captain, Legend, Leader etc etc...

Surely you can’t mean a top 6 side as he wouldn’t make the side. Whilst I like Dier as a character, he just is no where near good enough to be a starting centreback for a top 6 side. On his day he can look like one of the best defenders in the league, then spoil it all with a lapse of concentration and cost us the game.

In any other life at ANY other club, he'd be Captain, Legend, Leader etc etc....

But at Spurs, he's still derided by some and untrusted by many fans... yes, he's made a few mistakes, but there's summit about him that is bigger and better than that, and very likeable.

If he ever left us, he'd thrive at another club, and we'd be wondering what we let go...

He's not an Aurier, or Ekotto, or Vega type of liability defender... His brain farts seem to have an honesty about them, rather than rashness...

He really isn’t. Does he care and does he have a lot of heart and desire ? 100%. He isn’t good enough though for where the club eventually wants to be. If any of the top 6 clubs had Dier in the side, they would have gotten rid years ago. He makes far too many mistakes and is just a liability for me. He wouldn’t thrive at another club because he will never cut out the mistakes and brain farts

I love Eric Dier, Eric Dier loves me.

He has his obvious flaws but I adore him as a player and person. I am willing to forgive mistakes for players that work hard and fight for the shirt.

I'm glad he's having this kind of impact on the squad. The fact that he's bi-lingual also suggests that he's got a brain on him. My nostalgic mind is starting to draw comparisons with Gary Mabbutt on account of his responsible attitude on and off the pitch and his willingness to play in different positions (Mabbutt claims to have represented the club in every outfield position).

I'm glad he's having this kind of impact on the squad. The fact that he's bi-lingual also suggests that he's got a brain on him. My nostalgic mind is starting to draw comparisons with Gary Mabbutt on account of his responsible attitude on and off the pitch and his willingness to play in different positions (Mabbutt claims to have represented the club in every outfield position).
He is trilingual isn't he? English, Portuguese and Spanish. Definitely helps him bridge different groups in the locker room.

He does seem proper bright and not just football bright like most players.

My favourite Dier factoid is that he runs a small farm at the back of his house.

I knew there was glue involved. The way he stands still letting opponents get away and score.

Poch stopped liking him . 18-19, dier started only 2 CL games in our loooong run of CL games and only half the PL games too.

And Jose hardly had much of a choice. We only signed Rodon when he wanted someone like Skriniar to come in. Even then there were plenty of occasions he dropped Dier for another not very good centre back in Sanchez, or an over the hill Toby.

Nuno likes him so far and I actually do think he's overall been pretty good so far this season, but he started last season well too, before regressing to the norm. And there's hardly quality competition in terms of who can partner Romero.

I think with Dier it is probably the aggression or perceived leadership he offers. I can understand why a manager would pick someone if they offer leadership of the back line, he is a player who while limited may improve the overall defence in that regard.

From an ability perspective I cannot understand how Dier is ahead of Rodon who looks as an individual player better, stronger in the air, better on the ball etc. Therefore I can only conclude Rodon doesn’t offer the leadership Dier does and that is something perhaps only a manager can judge.

That maybe being the case Dier has to sort out the individual errors in his game. They are far more frequent it seems than Aurier who last season was actually consistently ok, I think Aurier’s poor reputation from previous seasons preceded him.
Mate I'm not sure Rodon is better in the air. I think that is whats saving Dier. And ill repeat I really like him as bloke and want him as third choice CB. He is certainly an off field leader .

Last edited:
Poch stopped liking him . 18-19, dier started only 2 CL games in our loooong run of CL games and only half the PL games too.

I think the following might explain that a little bit better than Poch "not liking him" anymore".....

5n6c3x.png

He was a 45-50 games a season man until then under Poch.

He was clearly struggling with weight and for match fitness much of the following season.

Back
Top Bottom