TACTICS - Or the lack of them ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just want to put this on record. The two Portuguese managers we have employed (both enthrall to Vitor Fraude philosophies) have produced the two most poorly coached Spurs teams I can recall. I go back to the end of the 80's.

If anyone wants to venture why with me please do. This tactical peridisation is utter guff. We have simply vacated tempo and control of the midfield. We nominally are set up to mark zonally but lack the vocal leadership in key areas to make it work, as its hugely dependent on players keeping each other honest.

I have felt for some time the side is one paced in key areas. That little or no work is being done on patterns of play or transition from the midblock to getting at our oponnet. I also think bar Romero we need more aggression its why id put Tanganga back in. He offers nothing offensively but neither it appears does Emerson.

Lastly Nuno looks clueless but can his number two be this fucking thick. If so get in a 'wise man ' and stick him in the stand. Id back people on this site to have changed us to hurt West ham. We ain't spending money under this owner but the coaching is an utter joke and has been for two and a half years. Can whoever Nuno's number two is be as big a fraud as Sacramento?

Last edited:
This is a tough nut to crack. I think it's a mixture between players and tactics. Not sure Nuno is up for the job.

Another tactical flaw is the fact he wants our full backs to provide us with some attacking width.

We don't have the quality in those areas. Emerson gets a nosebleed venturing 10 yards past the halfway line.
I don't understand the tactic of Lucas and Son coming in field.

It works if you had peak rose and walker but we don't. I saw Lucas and Son play essentially AM yesterday. It was like banging your head against the wall for 90 minutes. They packed the centre and we never tried to get it wide and to the byline and cause panic by getting behind their defence.

I'd like us to use our wingers in the wide positions. They do their best work there. Lucas and Son totally clueless in the middle, they don't have the creativity to break a mass defence. They do their best work 1v1 on the touchline with space to run into.

Simple, get the ball to one of the most lethal strikers in the game, and get it there as quickly and as often as possible….

Otherwise its like playing with 10 men….If the manager can’t set up to do that, then he needs to drop Kane and do whatever the fuck he is trying to do with at least someone providing some energy up front if nothing else….

I don’t understand the bed wetting everyone does here after a bad result. Before the WH game the feel good factor was largely back here. People felt that Nuno was getting the team and structure right but we all acknowledge that we are only a couple of injuries to key players having to drop in talent on the pitch. This squad needs more depth, Vitesse showed that.

We out played WH and deserved at least a draw. WH played Mourinho-ball - a low block with minimal possession and relying on counterattacking and set pieces. They were lucky.

that is one game. It happens in football that you don’t always get what you deserve.

Nuno definitely needed to bring subs on earlier in the second half. We needed to change the tactics to prise open their defence. PEH and Moura should have gone about the 60th minute for GLC and Gil. I don’t understand the lack of subs against Vitesse and late subs against WH. This is where the tactics need to improve.

And we need better squad players.

I just want to put this on record. The two Portuguese managers we have employed (both enthrall to Vitor Fraude philosophies) have produced the two most poorly coached Spurs teams I can recall. I go back to the end of the 80's.

If anyone wants to venture why with me please do. This tactical peridisation is utter guff. We have simply vacated tempo and control of the midfield. We nominally are set up to mark zonally but lack the vocal leadership in key areas to make it work, as its hugely dependent on players keeping each other honest.

I have felt for some time the side is one paced in key areas. That little or no work is being done on patterns of play or transition from the midblock to getting at our oponnet. I also think bar Romero we need more aggression its why id put Tanganga back in. He offers nothing offensively but neither it appears does Emerson.

Lastly Nuno looks clueless but can his number two be this fucking thick. If so get in a 'wise man ' and stick him in the stand. Id back people on this site to have changed us to hurt West ham. We ain't spending money under this owner but the coaching is an utter joke and has been for two and a half years. Can whoever Nuno's number two is be as big a fraud as Sacramento?

3 Portuguese coaches if you included AVB although he was more possession based. It was still the same, when we have the ball there is little to no movement, as if each attacking player is still told to hold their defensive position.

Not only is it mind numbingly boring to watch it doesn’t really work anymore in a league that is full of modern attacking coaches who have systems set up to break you down. We got better football from our temps Tim Sherwood and Ryan Mason by letting our players off the lead than AVB, Jose and Nuno. It’s killed us and damaged the relationship between the club and fans. God only knows why Levy allowed it, complete moron.

What’s sad is I love Portugal, the people, the food, the country but fuck me I don’t ever want to see another Portuguese coach walk through the door.

I don’t understand the bed wetting everyone does here after a bad result. Before the WH game the feel good factor was largely back here. People felt that Nuno was getting the team and structure right but we all acknowledge that we are only a couple of injuries to key players having to drop in talent on the pitch. This squad needs more depth, Vitesse showed that.

We out played WH and deserved at least a draw. WH played Mourinho-ball - a low block with minimal possession and relying on counterattacking and set pieces. They were lucky.

that is one game. It happens in football that you don’t always get what you deserve.

Nuno definitely needed to bring subs on earlier in the second half. We needed to change the tactics to prise open their defence. PEH and Moura should have gone about the 60th minute for GLC and Gil. I don’t understand the lack of subs against Vitesse and late subs against WH. This is where the tactics need to improve.

And we need better squad players.
We just lost to Vitesse & let in two sloppy goals against Newcastle . I don’t think there was any feel good factor at all . We’ve been below par all season. Even at the start of the season we didn’t impress.

That's exactly how we played too, both teams played Mou-ball. West Ham just did it better. Both teams sat off and didn't try to press, but they moved the ball quicker and got more bodies forward when we gave it away, that's why they got 13 shots to our 7 even though they only had 38% of the ball. We played like slugs. They also made zero major mistakes in their own half whereas we made two that led directly to the winning goal.

By no measure did we outplay them. They were happy to let our toothless team to have the ball and were proved right. We could have played for 10 hours without scoring a goal.

That's exactly how we played too, both teams played Mou-ball. West Ham just did it better. Both teams sat off and didn't try to press, but they moved the ball quicker and got more bodies forward when we gave it away, that's why they got 13 shots to our 7 even though they only had 38% of the ball. We played like slugs. They also made zero major mistakes in their own half whereas we made two that led directly to the winning goal.

By no measure did we outplay them. They were happy to let our toothless team to have the ball and were proved right. We could have played for 10 hours without scoring a goal.
I disagree. Our defence didn’t sit deep. WH had 9 players in two lines just outside their area when we had the ball. Thry were classic Mourinho. We had a high line (not Mourinho-ball) a heap of possession (not Mourinho-ball) and very indirect play (not Mourinho-ball).

People shouldn’t try and Re-write history to suit their agenda. It is clear Nuno isn’t doing a Wolves on us. it’s just bs.

People need to maintain perspective. We are not going to win every game but if we outplay the opposition as we did against WH the results will come.

I disagree. Our defence didn’t sit deep. WH had 9 players in two lines just outside their area when we had the ball. Thry were classic Mourinho. We had a high line (not Mourinho-ball) a heap of possession (not Mourinho-ball) and very indirect play (not Mourinho-ball).

People shouldn’t try and Re-write history to suit their agenda. It is clear Nuno isn’t doing a Wolves on us. it’s just bs.

People need to maintain perspective. We are not going to win every game but if we outplay the opposition as we did against WH the results will come.
Kind of agree with you in a way. Things not near as bad as made out by some, it's just very drab and we had a few outlier heavy defeats vs Woolwich/Palace that I don't expect to see replicated. The football is boring, defense looks alright, and if the players approach the games with good attitude and don't get completely fed up with playing middling football we'll win enough games to finish between 4th-7th in the league (more than likely closer to 7th than 4th). I agree that it's a depressing trajectory and Nuno is not the right manager for us, it is what it is.

Last edited:
Kind of agree with you in a way. Things not near as bad as made out by some, it's just very drab and we had a few outlier heavy defeats vs Woolwich/Palace that I don't expect to see replicated. The football is boring, defense looks alright, and if the players approach the games with good attitude and don't get completely fed up with playing middling football we'll win enough games to finish between 4th-7th in the league (more than likely closer to 7th than 4th). I agree that it's a depressing trajectory and Nuno is not the right manager for us, it is what it is.
Don't expect to see replicated WTF this is Tottenham especially under ENIC this is quite the regular thing.
I expect another 3/4 nil at least once more before the end of the season I can't believe as a spurs fan you think it's an unusual occurrence.

3 Portuguese coaches if you included AVB although he was more possession based. It was still the same, when we have the ball there is little to no movement, as if each attacking player is still told to hold their defensive position.

Not only is it mind numbingly boring to watch it doesn’t really work anymore in a league that is full of modern attacking coaches who have systems set up to break you down. We got better football from our temps Tim Sherwood and Ryan Mason by letting our players off the lead than AVB, Jose and Nuno. It’s killed us and damaged the relationship between the club and fans. God only knows why Levy allowed it, complete moron.

What’s sad is I love Portugal, the people, the food, the country but fuck me I don’t ever want to see another Portuguese coach walk through the door.
Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

We have more heavy defeats coming yet, United this weekend, Chelsea away, Liverpool away, City away to name a few

I've grown so tired even voicing an opinion to be honest. It's all just a mess this club and it started by not backing poch it really is that simple.

We were always a club desperate for a top class manager from the Redknapp times it was always the feeling we could do more if we just bought such and such.

Poch did it, he made us realise that we could compete if we just got things right and since Levy wouldn't back him and decided to go with Jose it has sent us back so rapidly we are genuinely worse right now than before Jol came in.

Jol got us pushing, Redknapp got us to the champions league. AVB wasn't even that bad the football was just so awful to watch. Our team under Sherwood would finish higher than this lot last couple years

Daniel Levy it starts and ends with him. Jose was wrong. Nuno wrong, AVB wrong.

Its blatantly obvious there's only a select few managers we would accept as fans right now and they all come with attacking intent, it's really that simple.

Won't post again now for a while as so fed up but I would want either Gallardo, Potter, Ten Haag or Poch. Nobody else is available to us and I thinl all 4 are quality managers. Anyone along the lines of Nuno again and I think I'll just give it up all together because it's actually depressing watching this shit and battle all the time.

We've been on a horrible come down ever since we turned up to the finals and lost a penalty in the first minute

I think the opening poster meant tactics on the field - there are already a million threads about (or that have been forced to become about ) ENIC / Levy - this one is presumably to look in detail at our tactics on the pitch.
My point is all the tactics won't matter as long as ENIC is at the helm

Jose and Poch couldn't figure it out so who's to say anyone else is

I think the opening poster meant tactics on the field - there are already a million threads about (or that have been forced to become about ) ENIC / Levy - this one is presumably to look in detail at our tactics on the pitch.
Getting rid of the whole board and management team isn’t ‘tactics’ - it’s strategic change.

The strategy is obviously fundamentally flawed; what is ENIC’s ‘vision’ for the future? Does it even involve any football performance related metrics?

When you have players as good as these lot should be, the tactics should be clearly understood and bought into. It’s pretty clear that the players don’t buy into it, and that plays out in lost 50/50’s and players not bothering to run into the spaces. It’s all just disjointed at the moment and I can’t see this manager getting the fire in their bellies. I don’t think I’ve seen it since our CL final year (well perhaps the win at OT-aside).

There must be hundreds - perhaps thousands of lower league players who look at this lot play and think “why couldn’t I get a chance to prove I can make at this level?”

My point is all the tactics won't matter as long as ENIC is at the helm

Jose and Poch couldn't figure it out so who's to say anyone else is

Exactly, there’s a reason we had to scrape the barrel for a manager.

They all know levy is a control freak and he’ll constantly hamstring the team.

The ones we’re left with are journeymen who want a payrise

Back
Top Bottom