Financial Results - Year End June 30, 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What exactly do you expect the end of year accounts to contain?

........Funny cartoons and page 3 girls?
As the year ends in a 1 mention of how we will now win on the field, as Conte stated upon arriving. Conte said it’s ‘maybe’ too much.

How has this played into Daniels words?

Didn’t see mention of him reinforcing this idea that now is time for pitch/squad focus, not more and more stretching of debt to increase our property portfolio….

Meh, didn’t reassure me he’ll shed his spots and properly support Conte.

Good corporatism though, Dan knows that shit. Demoralised our star player by snaking out of an agreement which should have seen a freshening of our squad which never manifested.

D- on pitch
B+ off it

Fair comment - I believe a naming rights deal is again on the table (just more gossip) - that would bring in the 250m, or indeed much more, that you mention.

There is no chance that ENIC (Joe or Daniel) put in 250m, simply not happening. As for more borrowing that would seem unlikely with the debt we have, however, it is certainly possible.
Lewis could loan the club

Lewis could loan the club
ENIC (ostensibly Joe) has underwritten loans before, namely on the early phases of construction for both the training ground and the stadium. These were very soon replaced by commercial loans.

The problem with owner loans is unless they are interest-free (Abramovitch is owed about 2.7 billion but charges no interest) then you end up like West Ham with owners charging +5 points and stripping cash out of the club every year, not sure we want that.

THFC could independently borrow 250m from a bank or via a bond ... but that's very unlikely.

Thanks for posting.

Even though Spurs are only the 2nd club to report, and other clubs will also have been badly hit by covid, good to see the comparisons of key data from Spurs v other clubs 'only partly affected by covid' previous years, Spurs ratios (eg wages/revenues) looked good.

This slide shows how we compared with our continental rivals

I always think these results show the ceaseless loyalty of our fanbase. We're the only one of the top 10 earning clubs that consistently wins absolutely fuck all. Yet we're up there in revenue with clubs that win trophies nearly every year.

Our returns on the pitch are actually abysmal compared to our results off the pitch which are broadly speaking pretty good.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦

For games played with fans in 2019/20, #THFC average attendance of 59,385 was the third highest in England, only below #MUFC 72,726 and #WHUFC 59,925, but just ahead of North London neighbours #AFC 59,254.

Don't West Ham pay threepence happenney for a ticket?
They do! And many thousands of the ST's that were bought up were by non-West Ham fans because they were so cheap (the fee they paid was about the same as a black market ticket they would pay to watch their side for a one-off away game so was a no-brainer)!!

There is also about 10k(???) tickets "given" to the local community (I've guessed this number as I've forgotten the detail so I could be way out +/- but details of it are in the West Ham thread).

So, put all these elements together and the uplift on matchday revenue that West Ham from moving from Upton Park to the Shopping Centre Bowl is approx just £1m-£2m for the entire year!!!

They do! And many thousands of the ST's that were bought up were by non-West Ham fans because they were so cheap (the fee they paid was about the same as a black market ticket they would pay to watch their side for a one-off away game so was a no-brainer)!!

There is also about 10k(???) tickets "given" to the local community (I've guessed this number as I've forgotten the detail so I could be way out +/- but details of it are in the West Ham thread).

So, put all these elements together and the uplift on matchday revenue that West Ham from moving from Upton Park to the Shopping Centre Bowl is approx just £1m-£2m for the entire year!!!

But costs of playing in the Shopping Centre bowl are a fraction of Upton Park thanks to the unwitting generosity of the London tax payers, the deal being signed by Boris

Thanks for posting.

Even though Spurs are only the 2nd club to report, and other clubs will also have been badly hit by covid, good to see the comparisons of key data from Spurs v other clubs 'only partly affected by covid' previous years, Spurs ratios (eg wages/revenues) looked good.

This slide shows how we compared with our continental rivals

For me the main elements are:
1. Very big debt (increased by £100m, not so positive) - Many people will focus on this and position it as a horrendous negative. But fail to recognise it as very long term debt and in short will fail to compute that this debt is totally responsible for taking match day revenue at old White Hart Lane of £40m to what will be £122m, the cost to achieve this uplift of +£80m pa is £20m, so a net uplift of £60m (or an equivalent season spent in CL).

2. COVID - The lack of fans in the stadium has killed our numbers, totally expected and also the same for other Clubs around the World.

3. No CL Football - Another totally predictable outcome is the lost revenue felt by not being in CL.

4. As has been communicated a billion times by the Club we will spend once we moved into the stadium, both money spent in new transfers and wages have both seen massively increased sums (and maybe without COVID we could have spent more here(??))

I think we'll see these results as some of the best in the PL compared to other teams reporting over the same period. Only the teams who qualified for CL would probably post better overall numbers I think. Let's see.

But costs of playing in the Shopping Centre bowl are a fraction of Upton Park thanks to the unwitting generosity of the London tax payers, the deal being signed by Boris
Yeah, it's this element that's really hard to factor in the net gains/loss felt. But the numbers posted since moving show zero positive impact financially.

The business model here I think is the hope that the free tickets given out a % become West Ham fans and then $$ as a result. Having an extra 20k in the stadium still gives them marketing opportunities to sell merch and tickets as they have their details. Fan interaction is also monetised (clicks/likes etc) when looking at commercial partners etc too. So overall it's a marketing strategy that still will have a low potential uplift with I would guess any expected success of tapping into this 20k would be approx 1% so 200 fans!! Spending £400 quid on an ST and merch = £80k!!!

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦

For games played with fans in 2019/20, #THFC average attendance of 59,385 was the third highest in England, only below #MUFC 72,726 and #WHUFC 59,925, but just ahead of North London neighbours #AFC 59,254.

Don't West Ham pay threepence happenney for a ticket?
I need educating here but surely west ham hospitality take would be a lot less and very difficult to match us. Can someone please answer the below

1. Who takes the money from the stadium bars and restaurants west Ham or the landlord?
2. outside events i.e rugby or baseball are purely a Landlord benefit are they not?
3. Even if West Ham is making on the bars the stadium is not very hospitable and most people I believe would drink off site. It has no Shelf bar that you would happily spend a couple of post-match hours in.?

I need educating here but surely west ham hospitality take would be a lot less and very difficult to match us. Can someone please answer the below

1. Who takes the money from the stadium bars and restaurants west Ham or the landlord?
2. outside events i.e rugby or baseball are purely a Landlord benefit are they not?
3. Even if West Ham is making on the bars the stadium is not very hospitable and most people I believe would drink off site. It has no Shelf bar that you would happily spend a couple of post-match hours in.?

They were virtually giving their season tickets away when they first moved in... Unless they have massively hiked the prices since then, their gate revenue would be much lower too.

IIRC they were on the ropes financially not long into the covid 'era' and it was suggested they'd already made a pigs ear of things in terms of not making the free stadium pay off for them.

I always think these results show the ceaseless loyalty of our fanbase. We're the only one of the top 10 earning clubs that consistently wins absolutely fuck all. Yet we're up there in revenue with clubs that win trophies nearly every year.

Our returns on the pitch are actually abysmal compared to our results off the pitch which are broadly speaking pretty good.
Not really.

Our revenues only ever got close ("competitive") to the big Clubs in PL since we moved out of WHL (so since we moved to Wembley as a consequence of this and playing in CL during this time). Prior to this our revenues were closer to Crystal Palace than they were to Woolwich!! We were over £100m off chavs and Woolwich, we have not only closed the gap but have overtaken Woolwich and the only thing that stops us going over Chavs is CL, and we no longer need Chavs to drop out of CL whilst we qualify for it for us to enable this, we can jump them if we qualify for it even if they also qualify for it too!

Back
Top Bottom