January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen. Is he allowed to play in England? I say he's a real consideration, if he wants to keep playing and is allowed in the Prem... and if he wants to play for us again.
Don't get me wrong I love Chris, but I think, as with the Poch stuff we need to look forward, not back.

There's has to be a player of his mold at 20-25 surely.

Only thing is he's 5'7

so a bit of a short arse.

then again Defoe was 5'7 and Keane was only 5'9 so I guess all strikers don't have to be 6+
Lionel Messi Football GIF by FC Barcelona

Don't get me wrong I love Chris, but I think, as with the Poch stuff we need to look forward, not back.

There's has to be a player of his mold at 20-25 surely.
I agree with looking forward, but we also have to be realistic. Levy keeps saying we don't have unlimited cash to throw about. Eriksen would be extremely affordable. He's also one of the best around, so it doesn't matter that he's not 25. He's one of the best to play in attacking midfield.

There are lots of ifs and buts about Eriksen coming back, but I don't think his quality should be one of them. We have been much worse without him.

that's right... you could be right. I don't know the answer to this situation... but he's a free agent - that's gotta be attractive to Levy - so that makes him realistic. He's got history with Spurs, so would fit right in, making it easier for him. Conte just won a league with him in midfield, so if they have a good relationship, then that will really help. It all comes down to whether he would want to and whether is health would be ok. If the answers there are yes, then I reckon they find a way to make it work. Ledley used to put in world class performances every week without even training and with only one leg...

EPL rules/insurance issues are paramount here, but otherwise as a free, short-term 'bridging' option there's a lot of value in this idea all of a sudden.... Even if it's accepted that he won't be a weekly 90minute man.

Familiar surroundings and same boss as last year..... Settling in period would be minimal too.

Any cheeky little deals like this will allow our valuable time and finances to be focused elsewhere in January.....

Seeing as he's not got a club atm; couldn't we even bringing him in now as a free agent? ......What a welcome spark that could provide!

would reflect quite badly on him TBH. It's not like anything has changed since he has joined us. Leaving now would say he didn't understand the situation and wasn't able to assess the players. After watching a few games we can all tell a lot of the players either lack the qualities or fight.
Actually one massive thing has changed since he signed for us. Man United suddenly need a coach. Before it looked like they were gonna stick with Solskjaer, so it didn't matter, but Conte was top of their list of coaches... it wouldn't surprise me if that situation has hit Conte a little this week and possibly - possibly not definitely, I'm totally guessing - been seen by people at the club.

EPL rules/insurance issues are paramount here, but otherwise as a free, short-term 'bridging' option there's a lot of value in this idea all of a sudden.... Even if it's accepted that he won't be a weekly 90minute man.

Familiar surroundings and same boss as last year..... Settling in period would be minimal too.

Any cheeky little deals like this will allow our valuable time and finances to be focused elsewhere in January.....

Seeing as he's not got a club atm; couldn't we even bringing him in now as a free agent? ......What a welcome spark that could provide!
That's exactly what I thought. It makes so much sense. Could be brilliant and is realistic...

But - there a few quite big buts.... is he ok to play? that would be the most important. wouldn't want him playing if his health isn't up to it... does he want a return? does Conte want him? lots of questions... but if the answers are all yes, then I'd take him this weekend. Straight in to play Burnley.

Actually one massive thing has changed since he signed for us. Man United suddenly need a coach. Before it looked like they were gonna stick with Solskjaer, so it didn't matter, but Conte was top of their list of coaches... it wouldn't surprise me if that situation has hit Conte a little this week and possibly - possibly not definitely, I'm totally guessing - been seen by people at the club.

for a tactical manager he would have played a very poor hand if that's the case. Everyone could see Ole was only the matter of weeks away from going. Even if he had lasted until the summer it wouldn't have gone on past that point. Conte would have had agents with their ear to the ground – he would know this.

Could it just possibly be, we're a greater challenge, with lots of things at our disposal, going somewhere everyone (inc. Jose) failed is appealing. If he gets Man U challenging it will be expected. Here, he would be doing what nobody else can do.

Maybe he was impressed with all our facilities, gets on with Fabio and Levy said "I know, we're going to spend big in the next 2-3 windows" and he was happy with that?

for a tactical manager he would have played a very poor hand if that's the case. Everyone could see Ole was only the matter of weeks away from going. Even if he had lasted until the summer it wouldn't have gone on past that point. Conte would have had agents with their ear to the ground – he would know this.

Could it just possibly be, we're a greater challenge, with lots of things at our disposal, going somewhere everyone (inc. Jose) failed is appealing. If he gets Man U challenging it will be expected. Here, he would be doing what nobody else can do.

Maybe he was impressed with all our facilities, gets on with Fabio and Levy said "I know, we're going to spend big in the next 2-3 windows" and he was happy with that?
Yeah - I get most of that. I think that's probably a lot to do with why he chose us. Can't deny about the facilities and Paratici being here. Lots of good reasons. I'm not a mind reader, so I'm only putting an idea out there and it might be wrong... I just wonder whether given the choice between the two jobs at the same time, he might actually have gone with ManU... There are good points for both, but let's face it, MU have some fantastic players. Olly spent 400m in the last 2 years and there would be more money to spend soon. Conte is a winner, so he wants to win trophies. That kind of money gives you a massive chance. But I don't know... I bet the idea that he could succeed where Jose didn't is a pretty big driver to him personally.

Basically I don't know. You could be totally right. I just wonder if this massively flat result has anything to do with a flat vibe this week at the club, after Conte sees he could have gone to MU...

Eriksen unfortunately is done at top level. He’s been declining for over two years. And not counting his heart problem

My impression was that things had clicked with him and Conte-ball over the second half of the season.

Sure he's not prime 2017 CE, but couldn't he do a job at times whilst we wrestle to build our ideal MF over the next window or 2?

My impression was that things had clicked with him and Conte-ball over the second half of the season.

Sure he's not prime 2017 CE, but couldn't he do a job at times whilst we wrestle to build our ideal MF over the next window or 2?
I don’t think we need a guy who can just do a job. We need difference makers.

Back
Top Bottom