2021 Ballon d’Or

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lewandowski's numbers of goals far exceeds Messi though. It's not even close over the last 12-18 months as far as goals scored.

If you want to argue, "oh but Lewandowski's played on a better team." Well are we going to use the same argument for Messi during Barca's golden years when they were winning every trophy because they were loaded up with talent?
And Lewandowski rightfully won the “Striker of the year award” as a result of all them goals.

You cannot give a Balon Dor for goals alone, especially when all they contributed to was Bayern winning an essentially one team league.

92eededeef62a2cc794733286f05f2cd.jpg

And Lewandowski rightfully won the “Striker of the year award” as a result of all them goals.

You cannot give a Balon Dor for goals alone, especially when all they contributed to was Bayern winning an essentially one team league.
Good point. Just like Messi hasnt won a CL since 6 years or a worldcup ever. Just scoring against spanish farmers a lot and they kept giving him ballondor all these years. As much as we all hate chavskis, jorginho was one of their best player and won the CL and the Euros.

Lewandowski didn't win it because he played for an elite side (Barca really weren't last season, as demonstrated by dropping in to mid-table without Messi) that got knocked out in the CL quarters, his international side were knocked out of the Euro group stages too, finishing BOTTOM behind Slovakia.

So no big performances in the major cup competitions. You don't win Ballon d'ors for scoring lots of goals for by far the dominant side in the current 4th ranked league in world football. Messi dragged a mid-table
level Barca side (as we can see now he's gone..) to a title challenge and won the Copa America.

Yeah he didn't score as many in the league, but he plays in the 2nd ranked division, and is an all round brilliant player, not a pure goalscorer playing as the spearhead of a dominant team. Lewa 100% should've won it in 19/20 and if he won it this year fair enough, but don't know why people act outraged/surprised that Messi got it. Who else? Jorginho? LMAO.

Lewandowski didn't win it because he played for an elite side (Barca really weren't last season, as demonstrated by dropping in to mid-table without Messi) that got knocked out in the CL quarters, his international side were knocked out of the Euro group stages too, finishing BOTTOM behind Slovakia.

So no big performances in the major cup competitions. You don't win Ballon d'ors for scoring lots of goals for by far the dominant side in the current 4th ranked league in world football. Messi dragged a mid-table
level Barca side (as we can see now he's gone..) to a title challenge and won the Copa America.

Yeah he didn't score as many in the league, but he plays in the 2nd ranked division, and is an all round brilliant player, not a pure goalscorer playing as the spearhead of a dominant team. Lewa 100% should've won it in 19/20 and if he won it this year fair enough, but don't know why people act outraged/surprised that Messi got it. Who else? Jorginho? LMAO.
Because messi was nothing special last season. What did he do? Failed for the 6th season in a row as Barcelona get knocked out of the CL again. And didnt even score in the semis or finals of the 'southamerican' euros.

Because messi was nothing special last season. What did he do? Failed for the 6th season in a row as Barcelona get knocked out of the CL again. And didnt even score in the semis or finals of the 'southamerican' euros.

He didn't fail, Barca failed. They're mid-table this season without him, he had them challenging for the title. 30 goals 9 assists in La Liga while also completing the most dribbles, most goals from outside the box, led some passing stats etc .. he was a goalscorer and playmaker. The only reason they were top 4 at all, you can say he 'failed' if you like, but the fact is that Barca team without Messi are all over the place. They likely won't even get out the CL groups ahead of Benfica. He got them 2nd and scored twice in the Copa Del Rey final, winning them it.

He assisted in the semi, and was brilliant. Not fantastic in the final but the whole tournament he was excellent and got them through games, easily the POTT overall. Do I think he was the best player in the world last season? Dunno .. don't think there was a runaway candidate tbh, any of a few options I'd have been okay with. But people acting like Lewa was robbed is laughable. Had he led Poland to a decent run he probably bags it, but they finished 4th in a not too hard group, so his only real accolade was scoring lots of league goals.

He didn't fail, Barca failed. They're mid-table this season without him, he had them challenging for the title. 30 goals 9 assists in La Liga while also completing the most dribbles, most goals from outside the box, led some passing stats etc .. he was a goalscorer and playmaker. The only reason they were top 4 at all, you can say he 'failed' if you like, but the fact is that Barca team without Messi are all over the place. They likely won't even get out the CL groups ahead of Benfica. He got them 2nd and scored twice in the Copa Del Rey final, winning them it.

He assisted in the semi, and was brilliant. Not fantastic in the final but the whole tournament he was excellent and got them through games, easily the POTT overall. Do I think he was the best player in the world last season? Dunno .. don't think there was a runaway candidate tbh, any of a few options I'd have been okay with. But people acting like Lewa was robbed is laughable. Had he led Poland to a decent run he probably bags it, but they finished 4th in a not too hard group, so his only real accolade was scoring lots of league goals.
Playing welll in the spanish league, doing absolutelynothing in the Championsleague and being not so important in the semis (match went to pens) and finals of their euros is hardly something the best player in the world would be doing. Even Kane would have been a better candidate.

Playing welll in the spanish league, doing absolutelynothing in the Championsleague and being not so important in the semis (match went to pens) and finals of their euros is hardly something the best player in the world would be doing. Even Kane would have been a better candidate.

Kane whose team went out of the EL, won no domestic cup and who had a disappointing Euros whilst leading his team to 7th in the league vs Messi whose side went out to PSG, won the domestic cup, was player of the tournament in Copa America, and led his team to 2nd .. and again you say not so important in the semi of the Copa, if he doesn't assist their goal, they lose. He played superbly.

Come on, just a silly suggestion. Messi was brilliant for Barca at times last season, he carried them on his back. They're the worst Barca team in a generation and he had them winning a trophy and 2nd, expecting miracles in the CL is ridiculous. He scored an unbelievable goal vs PSG, what more do you want? Him to stop his side conceding 5?

Whether or not he deserved Ballon d'or is questionable, but there's clearly a sense that because he's Messi, he gets judged by a completely different standard.

Kane whose team went out of the EL, won no domestic cup and who had a disappointing Euros whilst leading his team to 7th in the league vs Messi whose side went out to PSG, won the domestic cup, was player of the tournament in Copa America, and led his team to 2nd .. and again you say not so important in the semi of the Copa, if he doesn't assist their goal, they lose. He played superbly.

Come on, just a silly suggestion. Messi was brilliant for Barca at times last season, he carried them on his back. They're the worst Barca team in a generation and he had them winning a trophy and 2nd, expecting miracles in the CL is ridiculous. He scored an unbelievable goal vs PSG, what more do you want? Him to stop his side conceding 5?

Whether or not he deserved Ballon d'or is questionable, but there's clearly a sense that because he's Messi, he gets judged by a completely different standard.
Barca have become shitter because the focus was on playing through Messi and he was clearly not that good since many years now. He does seem to be judged different, barely did anything and gets an award for it. If we had the chance to take one attacker away and replace him with either Messi or Lewandowski, I know who i'd pick.

Even Mahrez was better than Messi in their CL matches last year

Barca have become shitter because the focus was on playing through Messi and he was clearly not that good since many years now. He does seem to be judged different, barely did anything and gets an award for it. If we had the chance to take one attacker away and replace him with either Messi or Lewandowski, I know who i'd pick.

Even Mahrez was better than Messi in their CL matches last year

No they haven't, they became shitter because they wasted looooads of money on signings who didn't make it, and lost their identity. He fucking carried them for YEARS through that, soon as he leaves they're mid-table in La Liga and probably out at the group stages of the CL.

'Barely did anything' = best player in the 2nd best division in world football for a weak Barca side, won two trophies he was integral to. I wish some of our players would barely do anything as well.

Mahrez plays for a far better side under a much better coach. He still only got 4 goals 2 assists for a team that got to the final vs Messi's 5 goals 2 assists.

The problem is you expect Messi to be a one man army. He was exceptional and the main man for every team he played for, and in every competition he took part in.

lolllolooloollloollolol

It’s Totti!

Mahrez plays for a far better side under a much better coach. He still only got 4 goals 2 assists for a team that got to the final vs Messi's 5 goals 2 assists.
So he was 1 goal better than Mahrez. Not even close to be the best player in ther world.

Lol at the 1-man-army stuff though. Hes had Busquets, Vidal, Jordi Alba, Pique, Rakitic, Suarez, Semedo, the german goalie whos name i forget. All of these playing with him and somehow Sissoko and Winks have more Champions League final appearances than him in the last 6 years.

2k messages in a couple of months, appearing out of nowhere with a non-relevant to Tottenham user name, the terminology, some of the crap spouted OT, the fact I added him to ignore reasonably quickly...

...my Spidey-senses are tingling. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck etc.

🦆
...75%

Why would I give a fuck who you add to ignore? You're on the most ignored posters list and have well over 1,000 dislikes. Just a Mourinhoista with shit take after shit take on basically everything you can possibly cover.

Also is my name meant to be SpurzizDaBest you fucking child?

Last edited:
So he was 1 goal better than Mahrez. Not even close to be the best player in ther world.

Lol at the 1-man-army stuff though. Hes had Busquets, Vidal, Jordi Alba, Pique, Rakitic, Suarez, Semedo, the german goalie whos name i forget. All of these playing with him and somehow Sissoko and Winks have more Champions League final appearances than him in the last 6 years.

Mahrez played all the way up to the final...

Busquets has been on a steep decline for years, Vidal arrived at Barca well after his prime, Alba/Pique also on the wane. Rakitic was a good player, he won the treble when Suarez was in his prime, Semedo is fucking shit, Ter Stegen is a good GK.

If you genuinely think for the last 3/4 years Barca have had a CL winning worthy side, fair enough. They've been a total mess, with shitty recruitment and a declining core. Messi's been getting 20+ goals and 20+ assists domestically (for fuck sake in 18/19 he got 12 goals in 9 CL games) for years.

If you don't think he was the best player in the world last year, fine. But he was certainly in contention due to it being a weak year. Nobody who won the CL/Euros was really a stand out.

Why would I give a fuck who you add to ignore? You're on the most ignored posters list and have well over 1,000 dislikes. Just a Mourinhoista with shit take after shit take on basically everything you can possibly cover.

Kick back and laugh it up fella...... Things get pretty funny when this lot start playing multi-detective!

Character-Clown-Police-Officer.jpg

Ok. Totti

Back
Top Bottom