Norwich (H) 5/12 - 1400KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought that was great with what we currently have.

Yes, they had a couple chances, but Kane should have scored a couple and Davies, who was great, also should have added another.

This is Conte’s football. Of course with a better midfield and the wingbacks playing a bit better it’ll look even nicer, but conte isn’t ever playing true champagne football. We’re going to get way more games like this, which I personally never felt it was in danger, so it’s a beautiful thing.

Great Win. We'd probably have cried had Nuno still been around. Players all have alot.

Realistically though, we still need at least 2 defenders (Over and above injured ones), 1 great CDM, 1 Great AM. 1 Great Striker. Great because they need to be world class.

Not one of our defenders are World Class. Not one of our Midfielders are World Class.

In fact the only 2 players could potentially World Class, i.e. Son and Kane (Debatable on current form).

We need upgrades in order to be a Top Six team. Average doesn't bring any trophies
Are you alright ?

It’s just that your head doesn’t seem screwed on too tight this evening

You want us to purchase 6 world class players …. To ensure breaking into the top 6 ?

Mate, add this post to some of your other choice gems tonight and it’s certainly not been your finest hour

So strange, completely different player for Denmark.
It’s not strange, he’s been average best for us for well over a year. He’s anonymous against good sides and is a massive issue for us. Like Lucas, good squad player but has to be upgraded

He was alright today. Seen him play much, much worse

The whole "world class" thing is crap. Firstly, if the expression is to mean anything at all, you have to be one of the top 3 in the world in that position, i.e. you make the squad for a hypothetical Earth vs Mars game.

Secondly, and more to the point, great teams generally don't have more than 3, maybe 4 players who would make that squad. Go back and look at the classic teams, you'll always find five or six very decent players who aren't "world beaters".

To give one example I mentioned earlier, 1990s Barcelona. I'm looking at a webpage which gives their best eleven from the decade. You could argue about some of the choices (no Beguiristain or Goicoetxea?) but even so.. Look at the players who wouldn't be on that interstellar tour with the World XI....

Zubizarreta (maybe), Ferrer, Popescu, Frank De Boer (maybe)... This is the best team of a decade, they never played together. Look at the early 90s, when they were in thir pomp - Bakero, Amor, Sergi, and others wouldn't have made that inter-planetary rocket. All outstanding players, much loved in Can Barça.

We will be lucky to have two such players, we shoudn't fixate on more. Players from the"very good internationals" will do fine
I thought that was very generous of you

Pretty damn happy with how things went today - so many positives.

4th Premier League game for Conte.
3 clean sheets, 1 conceded, scoring 7 with an upward trajectory (0-2-2-3)
Goals from CB LWB DM RW LW, from corners, open play, close range & outside the box.
(Hojbjerg, Reguilon, Lucas, Sanchez, Son x2 and an OG)

Apart from Son, unfortunately I don't really expect goals from the other players and I'm pretty sure that's down to coaching, and Conte expecting more than the bare minimum from players in their positions - something we have lacked massively for a few years really.

Long may it continue! COYS

Even Jose's displays looked entertaining compared with today's game - outplayed by Norwich, who easily could have scored 2-3 goals. But Spurs could also have at least 2 more goals.
I never was a fan of the 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 style and ain't after this game either. But, at least Spurs seem to have a firm foundation of how to play and kept their formations, and game plan, during the whole game. So I'll back Conte as he's a true winner.
Skipp and Moura were Spurs' 2 best players, with Son not far behind. I thought Sessegnon was positive as LWB. Lloris looked solid. And Davies looked like Der Kaizer going forward at times. Kane worked hard but never seemed to be much of a goal threat.

Last edited:
Could someone explain to me how Ben Davies at LB is shite going forward, but turns into an attacking maestro at LCB...
Honestly? I think it's because he doesn't need the same raw pace or athleticism to do it (i.e. not needing to constantly bomb back and forth and recover) and it's the kind of run that the opposition players are less likely to track. I sometimes reckon they shit themselves when a CB starts running towards their box.

Oh shut up and enjoy the victory.

Christ sake.

Right, every sod who wants to piss on our parade is getting blocked. Permanently. Done with the miserable buggers on here.

We ducking won. Three nil. Nearly top 4 and above the scum.

Enjoy it! Go have a wank and some beers and shut up.

Haha certain people are only happy unless they are moaning, miserable fuckers.

I genuinely think that their lives are so shit they come on here purely to moan

he played well today, scored a goal as well
he's a better player than Docherty IMHO
I don't think he played well. He scored, yes but compared to the amount of goals he has been involved in conceding, it really isn't that helpful. We have to be looking to improve on our weaker players now that we have AC. With a few judicious changes, we can challenge for any title in Europe.
This is only my personal opinion but we need to weed out the mediocre/bad/no input players and have a a squad that can stand some injuries which are inevitable.
Again, and it's still personal, a team to challenge for the CL wouldn't have Sanchez, PEH, Dele. Winks etc on the bench let alone 1st XI. We need to have a few inspirational players out there creating....The Kante or de Bruyner type. If only Tanguy wasn't such a lazy git, he would be perfect. Let us hope that the clear and quick improvement under Conte will inspire the bald one to open the cheque book and propel us back to the greatness we deserve.

Even Jose's displays looked entertaining compared with today's game - outplayed by Norwich, who easily could have scored 2-3 goals. But Spurs could also have at least 2 more goals.
I never was a fan of the 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 style and ain't after this game either. But, at least Spurs seem to have a firm foundation of how to play and kept their formations, and game plan, during the whole game.
Skipp and Moura were Spurs' 2 best players, with Son not far behind. I thought Sessegnon was positive as LWB. Lloris looked solid. And Davies looked like Der Kaizer going forward at times. Kane worked hard but never seemed to be much of a goal threat.

What on earth have you been watching?
A lot of our best moments come from breaking the 343 formation with defenders getting in advanced positions.

If Jose were in charge today I would have marked that in the top 5 most enjoyable games to watch from his era.

Honestly? I think it's because he doesn't need the same raw pace or athleticism to do it (i.e. not needing to constantly bomb back and forth and recover) and it's the kind of run that the opposition players are less likely to track. I sometimes reckon they shit themselves when a CB starts running towards their box.
This is probably correct combined with him being allowed to be more adventurous now that he has not only Reguilon, but Dier and Sanchez or even one of Skipp or Hojbjerg covering for him. If he goes forward one of them will slot down to cover for him.

State of this Villa/Leicester game.... Looks like someone put all the kits in the wash together.
Talking of kits;
How come Brentford CAN wear a yellow kit on Thursday, yet Norwich's traditional yellow/green kit is deemed too close to white & navy 3 days later?

My eyes hurt after having to watch 10 outfield Marker Pens running around on the pitch today!

24441_15724_so030.jpg

This was pretty much their formation for large parts of the game as well!

This is probably correct combined with him being allowed to be more adventurous now that he has not only Reguilon, but Dier and Sanchez or even one of Skipp or Hojbjerg covering for him. If he goes forward one of them will slot down to cover for him.
It raises the question (again) why the fecking hell Nuno didn't go with a three at the back formation when he'd used it previously with Wolves and it gets the best out of players like Davies and Doherty.

On the other hand I'm not even mad considering it all went wrong fast enough that we got rid and brought Conte in.
:contethumb:

Talking of kits;
How come Brentford CAN wear a yellow kit on Thursday, yet Norwich's traditional yellow/green kit is deemed too close to white & navy 3 days later?

My eyes hurt after having to watch 10 outfield Marker Pens running around on the pitch today!

24441_15724_so030.jpg

This was pretty much their formation for large parts of the game as well!
They probably would have been allowed to play in their home kit but opted for the away/third one to flog a few more to fans before xmas. I was similarly scratching my head when Man City weren't wearing their home kit against Watford last night.

They probably would have been allowed to play in their home kit but opted for the away/third one to flog a few more to fans before xmas. I was similarly scratching my head when Man City weren't wearing their home kit against Watford last night.
Probably it. I think that clubs are contractually obligated to use their second and even third kit x amount of times per season.

On the other hand I'm not even mad considering it all went wrong fast enough that we got rid and brought Conte in.
:contethumb:
That Man Utd home defeat is fast becoming the *2nd best and most significant defeat we've ever had against them...

* 2nd only to '99, which won them the league ahead of the Arse.... It's STILL the only Spurs defeat I've genuinely celebrated!!

Back
Top Bottom