Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool | Sunday 19 Dec | 16:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Emerson is a good back up RWB, but we can definitely do better in that position.

He may very well end up merely that, but I can't see us making a move for a new RB in Jan.

Unlike CM, there’s many genuinely good options in that position in transfer market.

Hundreds of pages of fantasy football manager talk in the trf thread and now there's not one player out there?

From realistic talk of Kessie & Brosovic to more giddy/costly prospects such a Phillips & De Jong......

Surely you've not downed tools on a-l-l candidates already? ;)

Robertson's tackle looks bad in real time and at any other speed. He missed the ball and kicked 2 standing legs out from under Royale.
Kane's tackle at normal speed looks like a completed tackle and you have to slow it down to show that he touched his shin pad whilst he was in the air.
Massive difference in danger levels to the tackled player.
Was gonna make a similar point.

Yes they're both reds but one is part of a football match that was just mistimed. The other was a petulant act of a spoilt, dirty player, who wasn't trying to get the ball.

Very happy about display, but I am a bit worried about Kane’s missed chances. Will he ever get back to close to his best?

Some strikers just fall off aka Torres

Think Torres was more that he had amazing pace then it went and he couldn’t adapt. I think Kane will be fine, Conte is a man who fixes players.

Hundreds of pages of fantasy football manager talk in the trf thread and now there's not one player out there?

From realistic talk of Kessie & Brosovic to more giddy/costly prospects such a Phillips & De Jong......

Surely you've not downed tools on a-l-l candidates already? ;)
Even in my delusional fantasy teams, I’m struggling to find an elite CM for us.

Kessie got owned by this youngster Morton (who we exposed today).
Brozovic is a bit old and about to sign a new contract. I don’t rate Phillips that highly, he’s be bad value for money unless Leeds get relegated.
As for Bellingham, apparently Liverpool are interested.

I kinda like watching Ndombele and GLC on the ball too. Let’s not give up on them

Ed Vanderlay , which bit don't you agree with - Conte or Winks?
Did he give you a disagree??

Let me at that mother fucker...

Angry Season 9 GIF by Friends

Dier was pinging it about the pitch like prime Toby today. Iv been really impressed with him since Conte has arrived. Seems to be focusing on the basics and getting that right.

Even in my delusional fantasy teams, I’m struggling to find an elite CM for us.

A proven, elite MF isn't likely in the "realistic" column for a number of reasons beyond trf fee, but I'm happy to assume there's a bunch of players out there that Tony & Fab with think can fit the script.

Let's just hope there's a deal to be done.

Kessie got owned by this youngster Morton (who we exposed today).
Brozovic is a bit old and about to sign a new contract. I don’t rate Phillips that highly, he’s be bad value for money unless Leeds get relegated.
As for Bellingham, apparently Liverpool are interested.

Listening to Euro football spiel here and there; it doesn't sound like BVB are that eager to sell in the same window as Haaland.... Reckon he'll have a price-tag approaching 100m too; which may even put Liverpool off too.

I kinda like watching Ndombele and GLC on the ball too. Let’s not give up on them

Sadly, mere moments aren't really anything we can build around.

They were also missing Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago in midfield to be fair.

We were both weakened to a similar degree (except we had many players whom were still potentially recovering from covid; whereas theirs weren't even in the squad); so when you consider the percieved strength of the respective clubs right now I think any plaudits are thoroughly justified,.

We were both weakened to a similar degree (except we had many players whom were still potentially recovering from covid; whereas theirs weren't even in the squad); so when you consider the percieved strength of the respective clubs right now I think any plaudits are thoroughly justified,.

Won't disagree, but they were missing what is probably their best midfield three. Always said that Liverpool are a poorer side without Henderson. He more than anyone gets them going.

Had more than enough chances to win.

In Conte's world you simply cannot draw a game like that with so many great chances.

He won't accept it and it will be driving him to despair, thinking about it.

And this is why I love him.

Won't disagree, but they were missing what is probably their best midfield three.

.....And we were forced to field 3 misfits in MF that most wanted sold in Jan.

+ Sanchez who many also want gone.
+ Sess who most had given up on 2/3 weeks ago.
+ A bunch of them had Covid 10 days ago.
+ We'd barely trained.

Always said that Liverpool are a poorer side without Henderson. He more than anyone gets them going.

Sorry mate; not having it. Stop with the excuses for them. We had it worse.

Mane, Jota, Salah, Firminho, TAA, Robertson, Milner, Keita, Matip, Alison, their fancy new CB who cost a fair few bob....

The only caveat against their XI was Milner (who's still a top pro and a good player) and a 19yr old who's played just as much as (maybe more than) Sessengon this season.

Last edited:
Said before kick-off would take a point all day long but gutted we didn't win as deserved it. Ourselves to blame as too many sitters not taken. Looking more and more like a team which is the main thing.

I'm still absolutely gutted we fucked so many great chances away. Tactically, whilst not being perfect, we out smarted them today. Klopp's post match was disingenuous bollocks.

First half, we were a bit lethargic at times without the ball, and allowed them too many opportunities to put balls into our box, but even during this half we really didn't allow them the craft much of quality, whilst creating some cracking situations ourselves.

Second half they were absolutely spent, virtually from the get go. They'd fucked themselves out first half and had nothing left, energy or ideas. You could see they'd stopped pressing us high up completely. We turned a 31/69 possession first half into 58/42 in the second half. Last half hour it was 66/34. (And even before the sending off it was 55/45).

Was good to see the 352 today, little glimpses of why many of us think this is the way forward. Even with three midfielders who many of us have issues with, none of whom are great without the ball, none had played loads of football this year, it was tactically so much better IMO than the 343.

Ndombele wasn't outstanding by any stretch but showed exactly what he's capable of when played in his ideal position, setting up the first goal with a great through ball in that inside right channel. That's exactly the type of move we saw a lot of Lyon.

Alli fucked away some great situations/chances but at least got into those positions - which I think is easier to do and more dangerous when ghosting in from the deeper L8 position than when you have Moura trying to head down dribble his way through 8 people with the ball as a WF. You could equally have Lo Celso in the Alli position, Skipp/Hojberg in the Winks position and it could still function. Winks possibly had one of the better games he's had in a Spurs shirt, certainly with the ball at least. Some of his passing was really incisive. The Son/Kane pivot caused plenty of problems and should have yielded more than it did. Good effort and movement from both, but both were incredibly wasteful.

Kane was lucky not to be redded, they were unlucky not to get a pen, but even if we ignore Alli's pen, the foul on Wink's was equally blatant. And the bottom line is, we created much better and much more situations and chances than they did.

Back
Top Bottom