Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool | Sunday 19 Dec | 16:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was good to see the 352 today, little glimpses of why many of us think this is the way forward. Even with three midfielders who many of us have issues with, none of whom are great without the ball, none had played loads of football this year, it was tactically so much better IMO than the 343.
I’d be interested to see Winks retain that spot in the middle (as Conte seems to have instructed him to pass forward and it’s working) but see Skipp right it out with Dele to be one of the dual 8s, and Lo Celso with Ndombele on the other side. I think if you move Winks away from the middle here he’ll be less effective with fewer angles to play with, and I think he deserves to keep the spot right now, while equally I think Skipp has the athleticism and intelligence to do much of what Dele did well yesterday (albeit not as naturally gifted). Of the ball in particular, as the two wide CMs were charged with pressing the opposition full backs, Skipp could play that role very well.

The player I fear for, and have done since Conte arrived, is Højbjerg. I think that as much as he’s got so much that’s good about him, our play looked so much slicker without him there and against teams that sit back more than Liverpool did I think that’ll be even more important. I like the guy but I can’t really see where he fits:

His/her …. Just saying

Mick, the further back the post gets the more comfortable you are entering into revisionist territory

Shoehorning Harry winks into the debate is just odd
Ah - my mistake, if I have mistaken genders, for which I apologise - no offence was intended.
Probably explains the outpouring of anguish though.

I'm not revising anything, I assure you, my (original) comment was based on my dislike of people trying to turn a sport into a hokey division of some science with the farcical Xg quotient

My follow up comment about the posters knowledge was based on seeing multiple asinine comments about Winks in the execrable Harry Winks thread - in amongst many more risible ones

Ah - my mistake, if I have mistaken genders, for which I apologise - no offence was intended.
Probably explains the outpouring of anguish though.

I'm not revising anything, I assure you, my (original) comment was based on my dislike of people trying to turn a sport into a hokey division of some science with the farcical Xg quotient

My follow up comment about the posters knowledge was based on seeing multiple asinine comments about Winks in the execrable Harry Winks thread - in amongst many more risible ones
Not sure the winks thread should be used as any kind of yardstick regards what’s acceptable

But we’ve probably exhausted this

I thought the original comment was unnecessarily belligerent, you didn’t

No worries

I’d be interested to see Winks retain that spot in the middle (as Conte seems to have instructed him to pass forward and it’s working) but see Skipp right it out with Dele to be one of the dual 8s, and Lo Celso with Ndombele on the other side. I think if you move Winks away from the middle here he’ll be less effective with fewer angles to play with, and I think he deserves to keep the spot right now, while equally I think Skipp has the athleticism and intelligence to do much of what Dele did well yesterday (albeit not as naturally gifted). Of the ball in particular, as the two wide CMs were charged with pressing the opposition full backs, Skipp could play that role very well.

The player I fear for, and have done since Conte arrived, is Højbjerg. I think that as much as he’s got so much that’s good about him, our play looked so much slicker without him there and against teams that sit back more than Liverpool did I think that’ll be even more important. I like the guy but I can’t really see where he fits:
Skipp won’t get into scoring positions in the box as well as Dele

Late post match thoughts.

Walking into the ground I said I'd take a draw.

Walking out of the ground I'm properly disappointed with not winning. That was a HUGE opportunity missed. Liverpool with a weakened team, we created lots of great chances, red card and still to not get 3 points I have to say we pissed away a great chance to close the gap. With Chelsea drawing and us taking points off Liverpool that is a MASSIVE opportunity missed to not get a win.

The game itself was the best game I've seen at the new ground. Lots of flash points and mistakes always provide entertainment. There wasn't much quality. But the occasion it was on show it oozed class. Prime example and only a couple of posters have pointed out the through ball by Ndombele after Winks won the tackle for the first goal. Those 2 bits of play were top class. That through ball even Hoddle would have been proud of. To the untrained eye it looks like a through ball, but I've played that position before and it was anything but. You look at the weight of pass, but more importantly the placement. Tanguy biases the ball in favour of Kane by playing it on the right side. Even Kane was expecting it on the left if you look at his run, but if Tanguy plays it on the left then the CB cuts that out or it runs through to closer to the keeper making it harder to score. The through ball made it easier for Kane to score, he didn't even have to think just finish it far post. Unreal pass.

Thought the ref was consistent in his decision making even though the rules are shit and not necessarily the right decisions.

This may come across as negative but I didn't think we did enough to win the game after they went down to 10. The Lucas sub was right but not played in the correct position. They had an obvious weakness at LB once Robertson went. Milner filled in at LB and then Tsimikas came on. Klopp recognised that weakness. I think Conte failed to. He should have put lucas at RW. Instead we had no threat with Emerson.
Just proves yet again that our main signing should be RWB not CF or creative midfield. Especially with this system.
The quality of our fullback compared to theirs is insane. We need better quality in the wing back areas. Jota scores loads of headed goals because the cross is literally put on his head. Something we don't have the ability to do. Reguilon can with time and space to cross but that rarely happens in our league.

I don't think we missed PEH. The game would not have been any different if he had played. But it would have been if Liverpool had their usual midfield and VVD. We played close to full strength. Only Skipp and Lucas would start, but both came on anyway and Winks /Dele had good games.

All in all, just a bit pissed off we passed up a great opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom