January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am not saying we have to exactly copy the other top teams but if you look at the top teams in the PL and Europe none of them play with such a limited player as Traore. They have success because their players are all good at moving the ball, comfortable with the ball at their feet and can make passes.

Traore is a gimmick player that works for a club like Wolves that doesn't have the talent to create through having a solid team and instead need to rely on the gimmick of Traore and can put up with the 95% time that he does nothing because they wouldn't create anything anyways. We should be good enough that we don't need a gimmick and can build a strong enough team to create chances all the time.

Traore may create a chance or two but for the most part would mean that we are getting nothing out of the RWB or RW if we play the 3-4-3, which would be bad enough on its own.

Career wise, Kane is way ahead. But as at today, he looks a shadow of himself, whilst Vlahavic is on the rise. And has 5+ years at that level ahead of him.

Do you think Fergie would have kept flogging a dead horse? IMO, his best trait as United manager, was getting players out before they went down the pan. He showed no mercy and didn't care about star status.

It is possible Vlahovic would come in and hit the ground running right away, but it is also possible that it takes time for him to adapt or even that he would not be able to adapt at all.

The bigger point I was making was that a simple Kane-Vlahovic swap is not close to enough we need to strengthen the squad overall or we will be looking at the same problems we have now except with a younger player getting no chances.

Decent journo on Talksport linked us to Lamptey….. he’s a far more effective player than the roidhead, creates chances every game and carries the ball well.

It really comes down to how much money we have, and we don't know that (frankly even Conté and paratici probably don't know, that sly Levy).

If we have an extra 40 million to spend after buying a creative midfielder ala eriksen and a backup striker for Kane, then sure we'll go for Adama if Conté wants.

Otherwise, we really shouldn't.

Oh ok, then I retract "never played as RWB" :rolleyes:
But how often and how many times? And was he any good in the position? Nuno was in favoring 4-3-3 so he couldn't have used WB that often.
I don't think he's played there often, but what I do remember of what I've seen is that he didn't embarrass himself, he was quite disciplined.

It would be a gamble I think, but one with potentially a big upside

They wait for Traore to run out of bounds with the ball or pass it to one of their defenders. As always with Traore it is easy to defend because he always fucks up when it comes to the end product.
If Traore did this with regular consistency I can just imagine the opposition players telling Traore, "Thanks for the pass! You're a great friend. Let me buy a pint at our club get together next time. You're invited" 🤣

Jokes aside if we can get him for the right price, I mean no better options at that price, then worth a try I guess.

He’s very good, but his decision making off the pitch isn’t always the best. If he could focus on football he’d be one to get.
He seems to be a serial skirt-chaser. Wouldn't be the first time in history for a 22/23 year-old. But, agree, once it becomes a pattern, it becomes a problem.

McKennie's one of my favorite current Yanks. Closest player comparison off the top of my head is Pogba. Box to Box/#8 CM2 w/ a #6, or on the L/R of a CM3.

IMO: he needs to play with a designated DM/#6. DO NOT get McKennie if you plan to use him as a designated #6! It defeats the purpose of his utility: his elite level physicality, endurance, competitiveness. Pops up with the odd header goal on corners/free kicks, a fox in the box. Thought he ran the show in the USMNT's 2-0 WC qualifier vs Mexico in November.

I'm a big fan of the other current Yank CM3s as well.

Tyler Adams #6/#8 (RB Leipzig, 22 years-old, £18m per Transfermarkt). A cross between Kante and Jorginho?? #6 in a CM2 + CM3. Very intelligent, intuitive, athletic, fluid player. Surprising physicality for his smaller stature (similar to Lucas in that sense). Often USMNT (and RB Leipzig) captain. I think he'd be ready to hit the ground running in the Premier League and wouldn't need any time for adjustment.

Yunus Musah #8/RW (Valencia, 19 years-old, £13.5m per Transfermarkt). Less familiar with Musah but every time I've seen him I've been impressed. Very pacy/fast, good in possession, he apparently started off as a winger at Valencia and they've slowly dropped him deeper into the midfield. No idea if that's b/c of injuries to other players/squad needs/etc., but Berhalter has been using him on the R/L of a CM3.

I would be very excited about McKennie (or Adams) coming to Spurs in January.

Last edited:
Raphina to Bayern for 50m this January apparently. Shame, I've loved watching him in the PL and he would've been my #1 transfer target to improve our side.

We need a Marcos Alonso/Hakimi type player who scores goals regularly from wingback. Both of those players thrived under Conte. I just don't know who is affordable and fits that profile

Back
Top Bottom