Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where the fuck have you dug these stats from? I can think of several horrendous errors from Toby leading to goals one of them was in a fucking cup final for fucksake! Several in a number of games in CL. Another against a minnow in an FA Cup quali round.
Premier League stats. From the Premier League website.
Which, obviously, only includes Premier League games.

Good job Dier knew that Manuel Lanzini's shot would be so bad it would end up as a pass to Bowen ... oh wait you mean he didn't?

Sure it was a shit pass, just like the other 100+ passes that went astray last night ... but don't go overboard on Dier, all players even great ones make mistakes, the trick is to reduce them to as few as possible ... Dier despite the hate makes very few mistakes, the problem is everyone he makes is highlighted and analysed to death ... that's what happens when you play for Spurs. Just ask Kane.
No he makes more than he should …. Hence the criticism he receives…. A lot justified

The over the top forum stuff I just consider noise and pay it no mind

It makes no difference how their goal came about after his error … it took the whole spine out the game … evident by a pass then a missed shot… he was the last man defending (which he then got turned inside out)

Look I don’t hate dier. I think he’s got it in him to be a success but at least im my opinion he still makes too many mistakes

(Btw … ‘the trick is to reduce them to as few as possible’. What an insight …. Keep me abreast of any other gems)

You got to remember, when a defender makes a mistake it can lead to conseeding and its remembered but if an attacking played fluffs a chance its easily forgotten.
Dier made a mistake, led to a goal.
Son's first touch was awful, didn't get his shot off, didn't score.

Seriously. He fucked up.

Important think is he and the entire team didn't crumble

No he makes more than he should …. Hence the criticism he receives…. A lot justified

It makes no difference how their goal came about after his error … it took the whole spine out the game … evident by a pass then a missed shot… he was the last man defending (which he then got turned inside out)

Look I don’t hate dier. I think he’s got it in him to be a success but at least im my opinion he still makes too many mistakes

(Btw … ‘the trick is to reduce them to as few as possible’. What an insight …. Keep me abreast of any other gems)
How about score more goals than the other side - we did that as well with Dier in the side - lest you forgot.

That gap does not make the slightest bit of difference when the ball is in their half and Dier has to take care of only 1 player. It wasnt some 2 yard pass played through this 'gap'. It was lumped up in the air. He had enough time to get in the right place to stop their player but didnt. Our defenders still outnumbered their attackers, but Dier crawled so slowly backwards that he let Bowen through. Lloris thankfully saved the day but he is an extraordinary goalkeeper.

Nope watch it again, Bowen runs in behind him because he's had to cover the space that Sanchez has vacated, look:

7:00

If anything Davies is the one who should be tucking in more as Reguilon has their other attacker covered

We had this in the Villa match where people were blaming Dier because Romero stepped out the defensive line and Dier tried to cover him and you lot still tried so desperately to try and blame Dier.

This is what you call cognitive dissonance, you're unable to see really basic stuff due to your absolute bias, quit the agenda and debate objectively.

The pass that cost us the equaliser was fucking abject.

It was at a time where we desperately needed to gain some composure

And our ‘leader’ does that … it was no where near anyone

He’s playing well but doesn’t matter how well you play the rest of the 90 if you’re solely going to chalk one up for the opposition
I think someone else said about errors and where they take place. I’d rather he made the mistake (which didn’t cost us in the end), learn from it and move on. As long as he learns from it he’s actually in a better place than had he made the error.

I’ve never seen a defender that doesn’t make mistakes that lead to goals, or keepers (see Allison at weekend) - it’s easy to pick on them (see Sanchez, Aurier, Toby at times, Davies, Trippier, Rose, ‘brain fart’ Walker).

This is what you call cognitive dissonance, you're unable to see really basic stuff due to your absolute bias, quit the agenda and debate objectively.
Lmao. This is exactly what i think about you. You deliberately ignore reality so you can push your irrational bias on others. Please take your own advice. Otherwise why even waste my time. You are posting for the sake of it rather than anything to do with reality.

Sanchez did not magically transport into their half in a second. When their player passes the ball over the top. Dier and Davies are both in a great position to see whats going to happen. But Dier crawls back slowly and Bowen wins the footrace easily and gets the to ball first. If its all about Davies, then why has Dier even come up there to 'fill this gap' . Theres no other player he has to mark . Watch it again. If his job isnt to stop Bowen, why is he even there?

Lmao. This is exactly what i think about you. You deliberately ignore reality so you can push your irrational bias on others. Please take your own advice. Otherwise why even waste my time. You are posting for the sake of it rather than anything to do with reality.

Sanchez did not magically transport into their half in a second. When their player passes the ball over the top. Dier and Davies are both in a great position to see whats going to happen. But Dier crawls back slowly and Bowen wins the footrace easily and gets the to ball first. If its all about Davies, then why has Dier even come up there to 'fill this gap' . Theres no other player he has to mark . Watch it again. If his job isnt to stop Bowen, why is he even there?

I don't have a pro Dier bias though where as you have an anti Dier bias so not sure that works for me, as I said before I've criticed his flaws in this very thread, that's called being objective where as I don't think you've ever said anything positive about Dier, that's the point mate - it's called an agenda.

lol Sorry you don't understand football - Bowen runs off Dier in behind him, unless you think that Dier has eyes in the back of his head? Davies is the one who needs to track his run but his body shape is wrong and is focused on the wrong player who is being covered by Reguilon. Dier comes over to close the space vacated by the RWB and RCB that's what you do as a defender, it's called covering then the other defenders are then meant to shift over.

This is basic football 101, I shouldn't have to explain this to anyone especially since they have such a strong opinion and act like they know what they're talking about.

It would help if you don't cut half my post off in your response because I kinda already explained it.

Dier comes over to close the space vacated by the RWB and RCB that's what you do as a defender, it's called covering then the other defenders are then meant to shift over.
Oh wow what a great scientific discoverey. He comes to fill a gap but its not his job to block the player thats going to run through that gap. If hes not going to deal with that player, why does he even have to be there, he could be sitting on the bench and it would have the same effect.

:mourloopy:

Im done dealing with your nonsense for today. Peace out, troll someone else.

Oh wow what a great scientific discoverey. He comes to fill a gap but its not his job to block the player thats going to run through that gap. If hes not going to deal with that player, why does he even have to be there, he could be sitting on the bench and it would have the same effect.

:mourloopy:

Im done dealing with your nonsense for today. Peace out, troll someone else.

Sorry you're genuinely fucking clueless, pointless wasting my time debating with you.

Yeah we are done, have a nice xmas and all that though :thumbup:

I can't be arsed looking into it but surely this idea that great defenders have no mistakes in them is bollocks.

I reckon you could do a YouTube complication of cock ups for all defenders.

I may be wrong of course but I rarely am so...

There's a mathematical formula that may help in your inquiry....

1 x Ben Davies divided by 1 x Ballon D'or = minus 264 errors per season.

Top scientists (and Igula Igula ) have recently confirmed this will also work in the case of Eric Dier. 👍

How about score more goals than the other side - we did that as well with Dier in the side - lest you forgot.
Bangers you’ve got a seriously flawed style of posting …. You state the bleeding obvious and believe that the poster you are replying to is unaware of the referenced bleeding obvious.

In the extremely small sample size of the 2 recent posts you’ve imparted wisdom such as

all players even great ones make mistakes, the trick is to reduce them to as few as possible’

I mean seriously Captain Obvious if this is your level of debate please skip past my posts I’m not interested. You then manage to allow yourself to consider that i may have actually forgotten this. Or was that a deliberate captain obvious gem ?

In addition to that I’m unsure if you felt you wanted a last word because that’s all I can conclude with that reply as it has zero to do with the argument on my criticism of Eric Dier. I’d go so far to say other than mentioning his name that it is a complete non-sequitur

As mentioned I’ve been down this road with you before and it’s boring.

I think someone else said about errors and where they take place. I’d rather he made the mistake (which didn’t cost us in the end), learn from it and move on. As long as he learns from it he’s actually in a better place than had he made the error.

I’ve never seen a defender that doesn’t make mistakes that lead to goals, or keepers (see Allison at weekend) - it’s easy to pick on them (see Sanchez, Aurier, Toby at times, Davies, Trippier, Rose, ‘brain fart’ Walker).
Hold on …. I’m not sure how we’ve reached the assumption that I and or others believe that even the finest defenders are exempt from making mistakes.

If we can move on from this and onto the number of mistakes and consider factors such as severity and mitigation etc then we’re good to go

Right … sure just as in every walk of life one method of learning is by making mistakes …… what we need to be aware of and debate is, are we approaching with his age , experience and technical ability the possibility that Eric dier is still making too many and giving the opposition cheap goals

Last year absolutely in my book. This year I think he’s been decent. He without doubt has the requisite tool set coupled with contes tuition to be a success story playing CB.

You know you don’t always have to learn the hard way… and this is perhaps it for me in that Eric seems determined to learn the hard way seemingly at every opportunity

But I did comment only the other day how I thought he’d been playing very well of late …. Maybe I jinxed him !?

You mention learning from mistakes …. But that one was a mistake that he shouldn’t be making, especially at this stage of his career

Like to add I think he’s got every chance of regaining his England spot under Conte

Hold on …. I’m not sure how we’ve reached the assumption that I and or others believe that even the finest defenders are exempt from making mistakes.

If we can move on from this and onto the number of mistakes and consider factors such as severity and mitigation etc then we’re good to go

Right … sure just as in every walk of life one method of learning is by making mistakes …… what we need to be aware of and debate is, are we approaching with his age , experience and technical ability the possibility that Eric dier is still making too many and giving the opposition cheap goals

Last year absolutely in my book. This year I think he’s been decent. He without doubt has the requisite tool set coupled with contes tuition to be a success story playing CB.

You know you don’t always have to learn the hard way… and this is perhaps it for me in that Eric seems determined to learn the hard way seemingly at every opportunity

But I did comment only the other day how I thought he’d been playing very well of late …. Maybe I jinxed him !?

You mention learning from mistakes …. But that one was a mistake that he shouldn’t be making, especially at this stage of his career

Like to add I think he’s got every chance of regaining his England spot under Conte
Thanks for clarifying - sounds like we’re in a similar boat on Dier. I’m slightly more positive in thinking he’s an intelligent player and learns quickly - the ball out from CB is something he seems to be working on so may be a ‘newish’ responsibility for him. However, yes - massive howler and thank goodness it didn’t end in affecting the result badly.

As an ex CB at a very minor level I like to have sympathy for other defenders as you shouldn’t ever be in one-on-ones too often and if you are someone else on the team has left you exposed.

Having said all that - yep - a big cock up but I like to think that won’t happen again…

Thanks for clarifying - sounds like we’re in a similar boat on Dier. I’m slightly more positive in thinking he’s an intelligent player and learns quickly - the ball out from CB is something he seems to be working on so may be a ‘newish’ responsibility for him. However, yes - massive howler and thank goodness it didn’t end in affecting the result badly.

As an ex CB at a very minor level I like to have sympathy for other defenders as you shouldn’t ever be in one-on-ones too often and if you are someone else on the team has left you exposed.

Having said all that - yep - a big cock up but I like to think that won’t happen again…
Actually good point well made …. I think you’re right in saying conte has given him the responsibility of playing out from the back .

Maybe he’s got a few wrinkles to iron out where his decision making lies

The one thing I will say is I don’t believe Eric makes too many mistakes … I don’t know if he’s just unfortunate but when he does they nearly always seem to result in maximum punishment…. a goal against

He’s a good character and I hope he secures that position for us

Back
Top Bottom