Watford VS Tottenham Saturday Jan 1st 2022 @3PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We don't know that. We'd already had 1 goal disallowed for offside, and 2 of their players got booked early putting them at risk of a red card. I never felt, even at 1 down that we would lose the game. They had 2 shots on target yesterday to our 11. It should have been a walk in the park but for bent reffing.

Of course on another day the performance would still have got us 3 points. But I can’t pretend it didn’t worry me that Saints had 70% of the ball for the first half hour. That just isn’t right. We have got a hell of a lot of work to do if we are going to become truly competitive again.

Of course on another day the performance would still have got us 3 points. But I can’t pretend it didn’t worry me that Saints had 70% of the ball for the first half hour. That just isn’t right. We have got a hell of a lot of work to do if we are going to become truly competitive again.
It doesn't matter though. They had 70% of the ball and, other than a freak shot, didn't cause us any trouble. half hour is only 1 3rd of the game. Once you take into account how long the ball was actually in play for, it was probably 20 minutes,

I was more concerned that one of their 2 shots on target was the last minute one where Dier brain farted so hard he nearly shat on the pitch and very nearly lost us the game.

I’d like to see Doherty being rewarded for a good performance against Southampton with a start here Replacing Emerson. In any event hopefully we will have greater emphasis on attack than defence which will suit Doherty over Emerson anyway.

Id like to see a 3 man midfield with Skipp-Winks-Ndombele but suspect it will be Skipp-PEH again.

Yeah we did, we started like shit and if they hadn’t lost a man we would have been in big trouble. Serious top 4 contenders do not let bottom feeders boss them around like that.

I don’t think we’ve played a single good away game in this entire season, in any competition. We never start away games with the proper intensity. Conte said after the game that we only started playing after they “gave us a slap”. That’s been going on for years and has to change. We should be the team that comes out blasting, not the opponent.
100% agree! Said it pre match need to come out fast and press keep the crowd quiet. V CL note said after palace we started slow. Do that I’m away games your asking for trouble as the crowd get behind the home team and then the players find an extra yard. By sitting back, not pressing and basically dawdling around with the ball at the back with urgency to get forward we encourage lesser teams. They get a sniff and their in from corners free kicks etc. we really must stop this happening.

I’d like to see Doherty being rewarded for a good performance against Southampton with a start here Replacing Emerson. In any event hopefully we will have greater emphasis on attack than defence which will suit Doherty over Emerson anyway.

Id like to see a 3 man midfield with Skipp-Winks-Ndombele but suspect it will be Skipp-PEH again.
Emerson is the best tackler. To replace him with Doherty appears a backward step.
prior to Southampton game Emerson was best tackler - 23 min - in the whole of the PL for a player on the pitch over 750 mins.

Agree on doherty. Thought that's as assertive and influential as I've seen him play in a spurs shirt and definitely worth a start ahead of Emerson, who is more interested in rolling around on the floor than playing football.

Emerson is the best tackler. To replace him with Doherty appears a backward step.
prior to Southampton game Emerson was best tackler - 23 min - in the whole of the PL for a player on the pitch over 750 mins.
That might be the case, but playing RWB his role has changed now to provide more attacking impetus. He doesn't have that in his locker.

We have 3 CBs to do the defending, if we are planning on giving Southampton and Watford the ball to attack us then what are we really trying to do? It's not like we should be allowing them to dominate us. But like I've said in another post on the Winks thread, we don't have the ability to grab the initiative and play a possession style game because we don't have the players to do it in the ones that Conte trusts.

Yeah we did, we started like shit and if they hadn’t lost a man we would have been in big trouble.

Nah..... Diff. game.

XI v XI plays into our counter-attack better. Even playing well against Palace we struggled against 10 men.

Serious top 4 contenders do not let bottom feeders boss them around like that.

They've given everyone a tough time at home and literally beat WH 2 days prior.

I don’t think we’ve played a single good away game in this entire season, in any competition. We never start away games with the proper intensity. Conte said after the game that we only started playing after they “gave us a slap”. That’s been going on for years and has to change. We should be the team that comes out blasting, not the opponent.

Agreed.

The cult of Doherty is a curious beast.....

The lowest bar of anyone in the whole squad..... #Relativity.

Reality: He did nothing to earn a start yesterday.

Agree on doherty. Thought that's as assertive and influential as I've seen him play in a spurs shirt and definitely worth a start ahead of Emerson, who is more interested in rolling around on the floor than playing football.

It was against a 10men parked bus and he had no need to step out of the final 3rd.

That's not assertive; that's just an easy ride for a WB.

They're poor, but Dennis up front is a big threat for them. His movement might give the likes of Dier and Davies kittens.

Can see goals in this one, and hopefully a few for us.

Honestly doherty reminds me of bale when he first joined. We simply didnt win. Do think we will get bale in january as impact sub last few months of season. Need to get a goal early and their heads will drop fast.

xOrYH7P.png

Subs: Gollini, Rodon, Davies, Emerson, H. White, Højbjerg, Dele, Son, Kane

Manage your star players' minutes while you can.

Sub on Kane + Son if/as needed.

Must win after today's game.

Watford are poor.

Definitely out = Romero, Sessegnon, Lo Celso and Bergwijn

think the team pretty much picks itself though i'd like Ndombele to get a chance over Hojbjerg

Lloris

Emerson Sanchez Dier Davies Reguilon

Skipp Hojbjerg

Son Kane Lucas
No Sanchez please

Back
Top Bottom