Southampton Vs Tottenham - 28th Dec - 3pm KO (Live On Amazon Prime)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Matt. I usually agree with you but this is football. There are always going to be questionable decisions. It's why we need to comprehensively tie up games and not give away stupid goals. It's not the same game as 20 years ago. VAR has changed all that.
But if our perfectly good goals were allowed like they should we would have wrapped that game up. Do we need to score 6 goals to win 2-1 now?

Two points stolen from us by at best, incompetent and at worst, corrupt officials.

Staggering how there isn’t an independent body to keep refereeing standards in check. Taylor and whoever was in charge of VAR should be suspended, fined and made to retrain.

The offside simply wasn’t offside. The stripe in the grass made that crystal clear. And if it were as marginal as they made it seem then benefit of the doubt should have been given to the attacking side. That’s what PL Referee chief said at the start of the season. So why isn’t it being implemented?

And the goal that was disallowed immediately by Taylor should have stood as no foul was committed. By ruling it out in the pitch, VAR wouldn’t get involved. A) that’s a stupid fucking rule, why does it apply for offsides but not incredibly marginal fouls? B) why is he making that decision when VAR can just overrule his decision when the goal is scored?

Then to top it all off. No admission that they’ve fucked up. No acknowledgment. No apology. No indication that they’ll work hard to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Pathetic league.
Couldn‘t agree more but unfortunately this crap is par for the course

Just when you thought officials couldn't become more incompetent, they take it to a new level.
here's some thoughts for them.

1. If there is not clear daylight between attacker and defender, it's onside.

2. Goalkeepers who drop balls they should have caught but were brushed by an opposition player, deserve all they get.

3. Fuck off out of it.

Hope this helps.

We benefitted from 2 dodgy VAR against Liverpool with the Kane tackle and the Emerson foul on Jota for the penalty. I don’t think anyone can argue that both should have gone Liverpool way. So can we move on from the corruption comments please? It makes people sound silly.

The refs / VAR are officials are incompetent. The VAR officials should have a points system like bookings and if they get enough wrong they get suspended.

The stripe in the grass made that crystal clear
While I agree with the sentiment of your post, you can't judge offside from the stripe of the grass.

That stripe is put there by some guy pushing a Flymo. It cannot be guaranteed to be straight, At least the drawn lines are straight.

Having said all that, we were robbed yesterday. Forster flopping to the ground every time he caught the ball should have been yellow carded for time wasting. The disallowed goal should have been VAR checked as well.

I cannot understand why Ndombele was not brought on instead of Gil. We needed someone to unpick Soton, not another winger! We desperately need someone creative in midfield like prime Eriksen.

We benefitted from 2 dodgy VAR against Liverpool with the Kane tackle and the Emerson foul on Jota for the penalty. I don’t think anyone can argue that both should have gone Liverpool way. So can we move on from the corruption comments please? It makes people sound silly.

The refs / VAR are officials are incompetent. The VAR officials should have a points system like bookings and if they get enough wrong they get suspended.
And Liverpool got given a goal after Salah handball and Liverpool have been on the right side of the VAR coin more times than any one else
So your point is moot.
These officials may not be corrupt but there fucking incompetent.

And Liverpool got given a goal after Salah handball and Liverpool have been on the right side of the VAR coin more times than any one else
So your point is moot.
These officials may not be corrupt but there fucking incompetent.

Plus the Winks and Dele penalty shouts, personally I thought all 3 penalty shouts where a bit soft. Kane should have gone but Liverpool’s first goal should have been canned.

My opinion is the refs aren’t paid enough. They make about average wages and have to deal with the rath of entire fanbases. They should make more, accountability should be higher, and more money should be invested into training them.

Look it’s hard for Refs and they do make errors, the issue is VAR has brought in inconsistencies in terms of usage. For me VAR is either used for all big calls or none, you can’t have a half way house because now your adding problems rather then taking them away.

1 every goal/disallowed goal, penalty and sending off gets a quick check, this fixes the consistency issue.

2 VAR only overrules when an obvious error has occurred so Kane’s goal would have stood since it was not obvious and is still debatable.

3 refs can call on VAR at any time.

I do agree with you on VAR vs Liverpool but Spurs should also have had a penalty - so that cancels out the penality "mistake" by the ref & VAR :cool:
However, while the decision about Kane was subjective an off-side decision can never be subjective...

My opinion is the refs aren’t paid enough. They make about average wages and have to deal with the rath of entire fanbases. They should make more, accountability should be higher, and more money should be invested into training them.

No more fat cunts like John Moss either.

worth the punt tho his valencia record was immense and back then we had to take punts as we were not as big as we are now
I liked him because he was a good footballer, played percentages and kept the ball well. Like many, just not strong enough or fast enough to score goals in Eng, but he could play

The EPL is the wealthiest league in the world - yet they have a ridiculously poor VAR set-up. It shows that money can't always buy quality...

(Former Premier League and FIFA referee Mark Halsey is a columnist for CaughtOffside.com)

Spurs unlucky with both non-goals at Southampton, says Mark Halsey with ex ref suggesting offside call went against PGMOL directive​

Tottenham will be disappointed that Fraser Forster’s own goal wasn’t allowed to stand.

Matt Doherty tried to connect with Harry Winks’ cross but the Southampton keeper moved into his space, spilled the ball as the pair collided and it rebounded into his own net.

Referee Anthony Taylor made a subjective decision and disallowed the goal because he deemed Forster had been fouled, but I felt it was a generous call.

There was major doubt that Forster even had control of the ball between his hands.

VAR official Martin Atkinson decided it was not a clear and obvious error so the on-field decision remained.

Spurs were also unlucky when Harry Kane had a goal ruled out for a marginal offside.

There didn’t seem to be a gap between the two lines of Kane’s armpit and Jan Bednarek’s foot, and it is disappointing to see goals like this disallowed.

Mike Riley did say in the summer that goals of this nature would be given the benefit of the doubt but, as we’ve seen many times before from the head of PGMOL, nothing is ever as it seems.

It’s about time that the men in the middle started to get these decisions correct.

Week in and week out now we are seeing the most basic of mistakes from either the on-pitch officials or those in the VAR room at Stockley Park.

It just isn’t good enough.

Ask yourself, why don’t we ever hear from referees or PGMOL delegates as to why certain, baffling, decisions have been made, and haven’t done ever since VAR was introduced?

How much do they make? Around 50-70k per year? That's not enough because they have to deal with fans LOL.
I think they are overpaid for mistakes they made.

How much do they make? Around 50-70k per year? That's not enough because they have to deal with fans LOL.
They have to go on national tv in front of 50K and get hate mail/ death threats if they get a call wrong and even sometimes if they make a right call against Liverpool.

They play a huge part in a billion dollar industry… they should be making way more than the average person to drive up the talent level in the reffing pool.

Pay them more (up and down the entire pyramid) and issue %-based fines for grade-A fuck ups.

Plus 2 penos for us which could have been given

Back
Top Bottom