Watford VS Tottenham Saturday Jan 1st 2022 @3PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s moaning about the final pass but left the three better midfield passers on the bench and waited until 70 & 83 Mins to bring any of them on

I think he's (justifiably) worried about being too leaky in pursuing more goals.
We looked very good attacking Liverpool, but we conceded 2 goals. We have barely conceded one in most of our other league games.

We really need a midfielder who can be trusted to chip in defensively and pass forward well.

This crackers creature is a bit of a tool but he’s bang on here.

Complete disagree with him.

Is Woolwich going to play a total low block with 11 behind the ball like watford did?

No? They’re going to setup to try and dice directly through our midfield and we’ll play a siege midfield press and see if we can counter? Oh, then it’ll be a 100 percent different match than this weekends 2 and these have absolutely no bearing on it at all…

Is Woolwich going to play a total low block with 11 behind the ball like watford did?

No? They’re going to setup to try and dice directly through our midfield and we’ll play a siege midfield press and see if we can counter? Oh, then it’ll be a 100 percent different match than this weekends 2 and these have absolutely no bearing on it at all…
Do you trust our midfield though? We have seen Leeds waltz through.

Think I’ll side with keys here. Robert Maxwell wasn’t a nice man, so I’ve no doubt what he says in that tweet is true. THFC probably wouldn’t exist today if Maxwell had got his hands on us. I hated Sugar as our chairman but my goodness it could have been worse.
Agree.... remember Thames Valley Royals idea he dreamt up to try and merge Oxford Utd and Reading....?
I imagine he'd have tried something similar with us... North East London Utd merger with West Ham? awful, awful man!

Last edited:
Do you trust our midfield though? We have seen Leeds waltz through.

Not completely, though I don’t think we’re totally outmatched. Certainly possible they’ll be successful.

But us not being able to easily unlock watfords tactics has no meaning on who will come out ahead in that one.

Just watched the game, my stream died after the medical emergency was stabilised (I'll take that, out of the two options, obviously). Was sure it would end 0-0. Well done the boys for trying till the end!

Round of applause for Hugo, Ben, Oli and Dav (who I thought was decent again, and for his goal of course).

Props I suppose to Harry, PEH and Reg.

I'm guessing that in-match people were moaning about the subs, I can see that. I'd rather Gio (good to see him back on the pitch, added a bit of a spark from what I saw) had come on instead of Winks but hey ho, it worked out.

Concerns:
Emerson, given the space he was given throughout, he never "asked questions of the defence" if you'll pardon the descent into pundit speak.

Sonny's general form. I thought he was our weakest forward today, until his cracking assist.

In short, awful game, great result. I'll take that.

:contesmile:

Agree.... remember Thames Valley Roayls idea he dreamt up to try and merge Oxford Utd and Reading....?
I imagine he'd have tried something similar with us... North East London Utd merger with West Ham? awful, awful man!

He owned Derby as well didn’t he. Thank goodness Sugar and Venables got along for the five minute to buy the club when they did.

There was a decent period in that first half where city couldn’t get out from under them. I’m not saying it’s going to happen but if it does happen to us we crumble

I wonder if there isn't a tendency by officials to avoid making what might be a decisive call. In this case they call either the foul on Kane or the one on Dier and it goes from being a tight nil-nil game in the hands of the players to probably being over. In some ways you don't want a call to take the game out of the player's hands but you can't just ignore obvious fouls either.
At least a yellow for the wrestling.....it wouldn't have changed the game but at least it would have looked as though he cared. That is the most incompetent exhibition by a ref I can remember. Even the pundits were calling it! That guy should be hauled over the coals by the FA and sent to the championship. He has no business in the PL.

Think I’ll side with keys here. Robert Maxwell wasn’t a nice man, so I’ve no doubt what he says in that tweet is true. THFC probably wouldn’t exist today if Maxwell had got his hands on us. I hated Sugar as our chairman but my goodness it could have been worse.
The first chairman I can remember being "an issue" was Scholar, in the sense that in the 70s no one gave much of a monkeys about them across the board. They were names in the programme and not much more.
I've disliked all of them since then and expect too all my life.

Hate to say it but they are.

Watched Woolwich v City and then us. Not convinced they were playing the same game.

Utterly devoid of ideas on how to break down a defensive outfit (rather like Soton's 10 men). Relied on a set piece to steal 3 thoroughly unwarranted points.

Makes you pine for Trippier on the right. Emerson was truly useless.

Other than missing from the edge of the area, can't remember Kane doing anything. Son was hopeless for 100 minutes before delivering the cross.

Thoroughly depressing performance redeemed by the three points.
We played better v Liverpool than they did v City. Fuck them. They should've drawn, we should've won like 5-2 v Liverpool...

Not as down as some are about the performance but it wasn't pretty. Watford were fucking dreadful and it's not football that anyone wants to watch. I think we've got a serious problem with the wingbacks. Emerson was really really bad. Every single cross hitting the first limb. Reguilon no better. Also we are crying out for a signing in the middle of the park who can thread a pass. Come February we cannot see any combination of Pierre winks Skipp unless it's away at city or Liverpool. Sick to fucking death of it

Back
Top Bottom