Watford VS Tottenham Saturday Jan 1st 2022 @3PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They deserved 0 points but frankly we didn't deserve 3 points.

They put 11 men behind the ball, while we didn't show enough creativity. The only good through ball of the match in open play was Lucas' pass to Son.
Nah that’s not right. One team tried to win and one didn’t. We huffed and were poor creatively but we deserved to win. Absolutely we did

Last edited:
Just for your information, this is fact, not speculation:

Emerson Royal's first half by numbers vs. Watford:

100% take-on success

87% pass accuracy

72 touches (most)

8 crosses

6 touches in opp. box (most)

6 duels won

2 take-ons

2 tackles

2 chances created

1 interception

Playing really advanced.

He was woeful. Use your own eyes and stop spending less time focusing on stats.

He’s moaning about the final pass but left the three better midfield passers on the bench and waited until 70 & 83 Mins to bring any of them on
........And only had ONE tactical plan today, which was to lump it into a packed 10 man defensive narrow low block!!

This isn't a complaint towards him, I think Conte is brilliant and he's only been here a very short period of time and coming in midseason has meant his time spent between games is very limited. So limited that my guess is that what he has worked on is to get the team more organised without the ball and how to manufacture counter-attacking opportunities (I think he's already exceeded my expectations in this dept) but in the last two games it's abundantly clear that we've not spent time in crafting opportunities against teams that sit deep (again, this isn't a criticism, more an observation as time is required with the team).

Amazed at Spurs fans laying into Emerson, when the actual tactical plan was to build our attacks on the left, which draw the oppo over to that side, but have Emerson hug to touchline on the right to receive the switched ball in space for him to deliver a cross to 3 players being marked by 8 players and expect that this will create a goalscoring opportunity!!

The downside to being a puppetmaster of manager (controlled, coached orchestrated patterns of play), is that if you've not been able to coach your set patterns of play for a certain situation then an entirely different game state is created with a team looking poorly coached.

shit result shocking rubbish and awful

lets not forget spam walloped this lot 4-1
So you spent the whole game thread bitching (fair). Then when we scored, it turned to “great now we won’t buy anyone” or sarcastic compliments for winks/Sanchez/Emerson and sarcastically saying how we don’t need to upgrade them.

Literally not a single positive post even after we score. What’s the point?

I’m sorry but these are stats without context. Wow Emerson had touches in the oppo box! It was because watford didn’t care. I’d also question how on earth he created 6 chances unless he gets one for every time he didn’t hit the first man on a cross.

If you honestly think Emerson was good yesterday, I just hope you are not a spurs talent evaluator in disguise, though that would explain a lot.
None of them were good yesterday.

Emerson is a better FB that WB.

But I do not see how getting on the back of a 22 year old with no preseason and no English helps the player or the team. Looking at his stats compared with others, are not bad.

Its easy to pull somebody down.

........And only had ONE tactical plan today, which was to lump it into a packed 10 man defensive narrow low block!!

This isn't a complaint towards him, I think Conte is brilliant and he's only been here a very short period of time and coming in midseason has meant his time spent between games is very limited. So limited that my guess is that what he has worked on is to get the team more organised without the ball and how to manufacture counter-attacking opportunities (I think he's already exceeded my expectations in this dept) but in the last two games it's abundantly clear that we've not spent time in crafting opportunities against teams that sit deep (again, this isn't a criticism, more an observation as time is required with the team).

Amazed at Spurs fans laying into Emerson, when the actual tactical plan was to build our attacks on the left, which draw the oppo over to that side, but have Emerson hug to touchline on the right to receive the switched ball in space for him to deliver a cross to 3 players being marked by 8 players and expect that this will create a goalscoring opportunity!!

The downside to being a puppetmaster of manager (controlled, coached orchestrated patterns of play), is that if you've not been able to coach your set patterns of play for a certain situation then an entirely different game state is created with a team looking poorly coached.
Good post

None of them were good yesterday.

Emerson is a better FB that WB.

But I do not see how getting on the back of a 22 year old with no preseason and no English helps the player or the team. Looking at his stats compared with others, are not bad.

Its easy to pull somebody down.
Fair. I have nothing against Emerson as a football player. You have pointed out how good of a tackler he is. It might be best for him and Sanchez to compete for the RCB spot and Emerson can also back up RWB.

Just don’t think hes meant for the wing back spot.

So you spent the whole game thread bitching (fair). Then when we scored, it turned to “great now we won’t buy anyone” or sarcastic compliments for winks/Sanchez/Emerson and sarcastically saying how we don’t need to upgrade them.

Literally not a single positive post even after we score. What’s the point?
we were shit up till then

and if the fan didnt have a problem

it wouldve been 0-0 anyway

we won brilliant now we need to buy some players to improve the team

watford a shit side we should of been more comfertable anyway

but we won thats all that matters

He was woeful. Use your own eyes and stop spending less time focusing on stats.
They were all poor. Woeful many of them. But he was not the worst. When I checked the stats, I was pleasantly surprised.

However for somebody who wants to hate a 22 year old Spurs player , with no English or pre season, they cannot handle somebody like me who wants to encourage the players.

Last edited:
It’s not that he needs a rest, he’s being asked to play with his back to goal rather than as a striker or wide attacker

Striker's have to do that at least some of the time.... This is why all the talk of Sonny being suited to being a lone ST was guff.

.....The unfortunate part is that Kane's hold-up play has deteriorated over the last few seasons too. Rarely wins his duels anymore.

Last edited:
Fair. I have nothing against Emerson as a football player. You have pointed out how good of a tackler he is. It might be best for him and Sanchez to compete for the RCB spot and Emerson can also back up RWB.

Just don’t think hes meant for the wing back spot.
He is not the best WB. But we happen to have the 3rd best tackler in the PL. one week ago he was No. 1.

Why criticise the player to ruin?

Striker's have to do that at least some of the time.... This is why all the talk of Sonny being suited to be a lone ST was guff.

.....The unfortunate part is that Kane's hold-up play has deteriorated over the last few seasons too. Rarely wins his duels anymore.
When he played as a lone ST he didn’t play back to goal tho, like Ronaldo he looked to run in behind. We aren’t using his running currently, he’s not running with the ball out wide or running in behind (generally)

Back
Top Bottom