Chavski Vs Tottenham - League Cup Semi Final (1st Leg) - Wed 5th Jan KO 7:45pm, live on SKY

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They have overall better players than Brighton but Brighton gave them a game last week.

This is what Conte was talking about, it's not just closing the gap is about buying players, it's changing the entire collective mentality of the club which won't be easy.
Yes but they will finish every season above Brighton and win silverware consistently .
Brighton will not .
We will never close the gap , our business model is not built for success on the playing field but is motivated in other directions.

No crying for me, and good for you.
Apologies for my language and tone last night. We're both on the same side.
Sometimes I get a bit worked up after a game and can tend to lash out unfairly.
It was a lot better and easier in the old days before the internet. You went to the pub after the game and had the inquest; talking, shouting and arguing, face to face as the beer went down. No hard feelings.

We dont have many good CBs . So this insistence on 3 CBs no matter what the situation, is extremely wierd.
The whole back 5 thing is misguided. We barely have decent FBs never mind WBs! Sane for the CDs. However Conte is so stuck in his ways he can’t see the wood for the trees. Someone surely needs to tell we don’t need and can’t play with back 5. Be interesting if he still persists with this shit v morecombe. I’d be v disappointed if we do.

Yes but they will finish every season above Brighton and win silverware consistently .
Brighton will not .
We will never close the gap , our business model is not built for success on the playing field but is motivated in other directions.

Point is we should be giving them more of a game and shouldn't be beaten in our heads before we kick a ball

Brighton will not .
I have long given up on this club winning anything again as you say business model isn't directed that way.

well yes, obviously the manager chooses the team. in Conte I trust, he hasn't lost a league game but the best game I've seen us play this season was against Liverpool when we didn't play any DMs and we went toe to toe with them and were disappointed not to win.

As bad as we played yesterday and as dominant as Chelsea were, it was two gifts we gave them, but we should have taken the game to them with a winks, ndombele midfield or skipp + winks or ndombele, whatever we think of either of them, we don't have better right now that gives us that balance and creativity
Yup agree with you on that but conte didn’t even try that v soton 10 men or Watford. It is almost as bad as jose and Nuno.

Point is we should be giving them more of a game and shouldn't be beaten in our heads before we kick a ball
Very true , selection and tactics were poor but when a team has poor bang average players like Emerson , Davis , Docherty, Sanchez, Clogberg, starting it will always be second best even with the right mentality but nothing excuses the insipid no shot first half clown football.

Last night Chelsea basically frightened us into beating ourselves. One of the easiest matches they’ll ever play. It‘s easy to beat a team that is afraid of you.

We have an inferiority complex that Poch managed to keep at bay for a couple of years but is now back at full strength. I watched Brighton outplay Chelsea at the Bridge the other day, they were not afraid. They respected them of course but they were not afraid to play.

We were shitting ourselves from the first minute which is sad to watch and probably what disappoints Conte the most. All the tactical preparation in the world can’t save you if the players are too terrified to kick the ball properly. I trust Conte to sort it out but as he says, we need time.

To quote Dune, “fear is the mind-killer”, summed up by the second goal. There were no blue shirts in the six yard box, just a sea of white shirts and the goalkeeper but Japh was too panicked to realise there was no danger at all.
Was that mind set created by conte in his pre match interview which he the reiterated post match. Basically how good they were , that they were way ahead of us and so on. Basically beating ourself up before even starting.
I thought conte would be that fist pumping crazy manager who would make players run through brick walls and give them a kick up the arse. Not really see that type of high intensity physical game so far.

We dont have many good CBs . So this insistence on 3 CBs no matter what the situation, is extremely wierd.

I think our CB's are much better in a back 3 than they are in a back 4 so while we don't have many good CB's the back 3 works better in my view because of the fit.

For example, Davies, Sanchez, Dier, Tanganga all fit better in a back 3 than back 4.

Davies, Dier, Sanchez in a back 3 is so much better than Dier-Sanchez back 4.

If we had a stable pair of CB's and then had to shoe horn a 3rd guy in to fit the back 3 I would agree but our CB's, outside of Romero who also fits in a back 3, play so much better in a back 3 than back 4.

It's not about Conte the problem is far wider than that.
As a club we are too accepting of second best because we don't believe in ourselves.
Chelsea have a winning mentality right through the club from top to bottom, we on the other hand don't our players 9 times out of 10 fold up in big pressure games and moments.
I think this problem has been around for several decades that no one manager is going to solve certainly not overnight.
The performance last night was a disgrace but one that as a club we have come to both accept and except in equal measure.
It was a disappointing result and now leaves us very unlikely to go through especially as they will score at our place.

Apologies for my language and tone last night. We're both on the same side.
Sometimes I get a bit worked up after a game and can tend to lash out unfairly.
It was a lot better and easier in the old days before the internet. You went to the pub after the game and had the inquest; talking, shouting and arguing, face to face as the beer went down. No hard feelings.
Absolutely, no hard feelings. I understand where you were coming from and ultimately we all stand by the team regardless of the results. I'm still disappointed in the performance but have already calmed down about it and hope that the boys have been able to shake off the shock of it and better prepared for the next leg. Here's hoping for a better result next time and we see a real response!

:tanguythumb:

The whole back 5 thing is misguided. We barely have decent FBs never mind WBs! Sane for the CDs. However Conte is so stuck in his ways he can’t see the wood for the trees. Someone surely needs to tell we don’t need and can’t play with back 5. Be interesting if he still persists with this shit v morecombe. I’d be v disappointed if we do.

We don't have a good or in-form enough stable of midfielders or CBs/FBs to play 4-2-3-1 right now. Back 5 is serving us well against most of the league- we don't need to panic just because we lost to a much more talented and deeper overall Chelsea squad that spends at least triple us every season.

I appreciated Conte's comments about being realistic. I would say we got a big dose of it. Even after that, I still support the players and am appreciative of the progress that's been made so far. We're doing much, much better than we were overall. Improving the squad will take hard work and time.

<removed> is a male prostitute, can be straight too
I suppose technically, but in practice, given how much easier it is for younger women to get laid, straight male prostitutes tend to go for the high end older rich women market segment, where they are known as "gigolos" (I imagine there's a gay gigolo scene too for rich older men). "<removed>" to me is very much the sleaziest of sleazy end of the market, I'm not sure there's much hetero activity there.

Of course, I have nothing whatsoever to back this up, apart from a few stories in the gutter press and that 80s film with Richard Gere.

I suppose technically, but in practice, given how much easier it is for younger women to get laid, straight male prostitutes tend to go for the high end older rich women market segment, where they are known as "gigolos" (I imagine there's a gay gigolo scene too for rich older men). "<removed>" to me is very much the sleaziest of sleazy end of the market, I'm not sure there's much hetero activity there.

Of course, I have nothing whatsoever to back this up, apart from a few stories in the gutter press and that 80s film with Richard Gere.
What did I just read? lol

Back
Top Bottom