Unpopular opinion but IMO, Son, Lucas and Kane can’t play in 3-4-3

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's one easy fix for all this - play Kane as a #10 or a deep #9.

We were playing good football under Conte when Kane was playing deeper and acting as the target man in the near the center of the pitch. We also played our best football under Jose using a similar system but now with Conte, we have added wingbacks to help with the attack instead of having it just be the Son and Kane show.

For how shitty Kane has been this season, he's still the best when it comes to receiving the ball with his back to goal and holding up the ball. We don't have anyone else that can do this. Kane is also one of our better passers so he helps a lot with distribution.

More importantly, Kane playing deeper frees up space for Son and Lucas to run in to. We are most dangerous when our runners have space to run in to. When Kane plays too far up top, Lucas and Son inevitably have less space. I saw Lucas time and time again make a decent run against Chelsea, only to run into a sea of defenders that were crowding the area near the box. We need to pull Kane away from the goal because doing so, will pull defenders away from their box, leaving more area for our other players with more space to exploit.

The last couple of games, Kane has been playing much further up top and it's coincided with us looking like shit once again.

Last edited:
Lucas: Playing some of his best football both now and when Jose had him as a quasi-#10 last season.
Kane: A popular consensus was that he needs to push back up into a CF role. Finally looking a bit more involved.
Son:

Dychotomy:
This past summer: "Sonny is actually better through the middle"
Current theory: "3421 keeps Sonny away from the wing where he does his best work"
Popular opinion: "Conte should go 352" (which would push Sonny into the center)"

How's that for a brain teaser??? :dier:
There’s a big difference in playing narrow / deeper in a 343 than central in a 352 or wide in a 4231.

The former is where he struggles, pushed up front or wide and he’s better imo

Seriously.

What are we waiting for?

I mean, there's been so much activity the first week of the window by all the other clubs.
We can’t be compared to our peers. We’ve incurred criminal under investment and awful decision making so are in a different position to other top 4 challengers. So we shouldn’t wait and should overpay if appropriate (we’ve had 21 years of not doing or daring which more than offsets)

Son especially can’t play it. He’s best out side cutting in and making the fullback’s day a nightmare. Here he is too central and gets picked up far too easily.
He looked okay playing in the central for 3 to 4 games. I just think it doesn't work that well since Kane cloggs up the middle because he lack the kind of pace and mobility.

There’s a big difference in playing narrow / deeper in a 343 than central in a 352 or wide in a 4231.

The former is where he struggles, pushed up front or wide and he’s better imo

It's still a quandry; because until we fix our MF our attacking game remains make-shift and any attacking system that includes WBs is gonna force Sonny to play more centrally.....

Personally, I 'hope' (note hope, rather than think) 352 is the answer, but he & Kane need to be able to carve out a good close-range relationship (compared to last year where they were mostly assisting each other from a distance).

We can’t be compared to our peers. We’ve incurred criminal under investment and awful decision making so are in a different position to other top 4 challengers. So we shouldn’t wait and should overpay if appropriate (we’ve had 21 years of not doing or daring which more than offsets)

£72m.

There's one easy fix for all this - play Kane as a #10 or a deep #9.

We were playing good football under Conte when Kane was playing deeper and acting as the target man in the near the center of the pitch. We also played our best football under Jose using a similar system but now with Conte, we have added wingbacks to help with the attack instead of having it just be the Son and Kane show.

For how shitty Kane has been this season, he's still the best when it comes to receiving the ball with his back to goal and holding up the ball. We don't have anyone else that can do this. Kane is also one of our better passers so he helps a lot with distribution.

More importantly, Kane playing deeper frees up space for Son and Lucas to run in to. We are most dangerous when our runners have space to run in to. When Kane plays too far up top, Lucas and Son inevitably have less space. I saw Lucas time and time again make a decent run against Chelsea, only to run into a sea of defenders that were crowding the area near the box. We need to pull Kane away from the goal because doing so, will pull defenders away from their box, leaving more area for our other players with more space to exploit.

The last couple of games, Kane has been playing much further up top and it's coincided with us looking like shit once again.
Appears to be what's exactly happening recently with Kane further up leaving no space for other attackers to operate. Either play Kane deeper or play 352 with Kane and Son up front and Lucas as a winger or whatever but fit him in there.

Didn’t Kane and son look better in a 2 as against pool?
How about a good old fashioned 442 since we don’t have any decent WBs, and remember reg played most in a back 4 last season.
Royal Romero dier/Dav reg
Lucas skipp winks/gio/another good cm and berg/Gil on left
Kane and son up top
Surely that gives the flanks good cover and overlap opportunities.
I’d like to see some thing like that as we get enough attacking players on the pitch.

Son - Schick - Kane

Son - Kane - Schick

Son - Schick - Moura

Kane 10

3 - 5 - 2

Schick - Kane

Son - Schick

Kane - Son

Works theoretically on every perm, get it done while we can.

If we aint got spondoolies for Vlahovic, Charles De Ketelaere type & Patrick Schick works for me (over next 2 windows, whoever available first get now, ideally Schick type first team now challenger, but if not put pressure on the young buck's team).

'Only in Italy are we fixated on formations. I've coached in England and they don't give a damn over there.'

'I want to see bravery and intensity, the things we're trying to propose. The rest is all rubbish.'

'Only in Italy are we fixated on formations. I've coached in England and they don't give a damn over there.'

'I want to see bravery and intensity, the things we're trying to propose. The rest is all rubbish.'

In the Poch days, he bred intensity, courage, fight and we most often overwhelmed better teams, as our core principles disallowed teams to settle into a formation that may beat us. Then most teams who were not overwhelmed could beat Poch Tactically (here I think Conte is the antithesis of Poch, as he wants that secondary layer to be very italian, as everyone see's in his micro management and team shapes).

So, we might not get the lovely football of peak Poch, but we should get Trophies. If funded sufficiently almost guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom