January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's been how we spend.

We used to be much better at it, the last 5 years we've been pretty bad at it - or to be more accurate, lots of other clubs wised up and got better at it, whilst we simultaneously got worse.
I think we also moved away from buying the good young talent to trying to get to the 'next level' of transfers (the established player) but barring a couple of stand out seasons we have not been in the position in the league to entice them or financially able to compete wages wise with the bigger clubs around.

Funny error, but also quite telling - even in the last 5 years where we've built the new stadium, there are only 5 teams with a bigger player net spend in that period... I can see both sides of the 'spend' argument - over 5 years it looks very good, over 10 years much less so. I guess you just choose which narrative you prefer to focus on and then pick the timeframe that supports it. :roflmao:

Funny though cos yesterday it was "WAH... Need more investment.. Look at the graph" until it became apparent on closer inspection that on give or take 15m us, Goons & the Dippers were all in the same boat on that front.

Much like when people compared the backing of Poch vs Klopp only to find the difference in net spend over the respective reigns was virtually the same.

Then people wanna compare us to Everton & West ham every TRF window...... Until you compare the last 30 years of the 3 clubs and realise our last decade in particular pisses over their journey.

Now it's flipped again:

It’s wages that strangle clubs finances, not fees. Our wage to turnover % is lowest in the league IIRC

Frankly there's a whole world of shit that gets flung at the wall in hope that something sticks and if it doesn't there's always the "Levy is a thief" drivvel to fall back on.

Yeh, it sucks that our finances were wrapped up in the stadium project when we were on the precipice of even bigger things, but as soon as we moved in we had a spend up..... It sucks even more that covid delayed the financial benefit of the new stadium to allow us to continue in that vein, but that's life.....

I recall a convo I had with Boltonspur Boltonspur during the summer and we both agreed we really need to see an upturn in our spending come the summer 2022 window for the patience and sacrifice of the stadium 'austerity' to suitably rewarded...... I'll stick to that premise...... By the same token, I'll be pissed if by then we haven't seized the opportunity presented by having Conte on the firm.

Well said but if anything understating the problem.

For Poch's first game in charge, players included Lloris, Vorm, Walker, Rose, Vertonghen, Davies, Dembele, Mason and Bentaleb (Poch first choice CMs in 1st season). Eriksen, Lamela, Kane.

And these are the players who were core to Poch's teams.

Transfers in to Spurs after that point in time :

15/16

Son £27m - (Huge success)
Alderweirels £14m (Very good for several years linking up with Vertonghen)
N'Jie £12m
Wimmer £5m
Trippier £4m (Very good option for a couple of years)

But after that its not so good :

16/17:
Wanyama £11m (one season wonder)
Janssen £ 17m
Nkoudou £ 11m
Sissoko £ 30m (2 seasons awful, 2 seasons ok, 1 season awful)

17/18:
Gazzaniga £ 4m
Sanchez £ 38m (one decent season, but not lived up to expectation. Overall average ?)
Foyth £ 8m
Aurier £ 23m (always an accident waiting to happen, had to be paid off),
Llorente 12m (End of career type signing but under used)
Moura £ 25m (Only a surprise hattrick v Ajax seemed to be his legacy, but playing his best under Conte)

18/19:
Nobody - Poch too picky to have 2nd options after De Jong picked Barcelona and new Villa owners refused to sell Grealish

19/20:
Ndombele £60m ( Appears too lazy for PL)
Lo celso £ 42m (Seems a nothing player except for Argentina even when fit)
Sessegnon £ 30m (Too injury prone to assess other than decent loan season at Hoffenheim)
Clarke £ 10m
Bergwijn £ 27m (Hasn't worked out - my pragmatic alternative of Bowen from Hull in line for 20 goals/assists this season)

20/21:
Hojbjerg £15m (key midfielder last season, been run into ground)
Doherty £15m (Poor despite a PL pedigree)
Reguilon £ 27m (Really expecting more - hope he responds to Conte coaching)
Rodon £12m (don''t know why he has not played more - impossible to assess)

So since 2016/17 window ....... its between Hojbjerg and Moura as to who is our best signing.

A truely awful result from so many Transfer Windows and so much money spent

What this tells me, is that I'd rather we fucked up with the Hoijvergs and Docs of the world rather than the TND's and GLC's

TND, GLC, SB and RS combined accounts for the bulk of our spending for years and years. And all of them are as useless as an appendix.

Fucking do it you cunt Levy

Sounds like the arguments with the wife.
I want a cleaner
You can't have a cleaner until you tidy up after yourself
So you're saying I can't have cleaner
I said if you tidy up, you can have a cleaner
So you're saying I can't have a cleaner
I said it's over to you - if you tidy up, you can have a cleaner.

Shitberg > Wanyama? No

Wanyama gave us one good season - then he was injured ad never played at those heights again.

Hojbjerg (sadly) in midfield last season saved our defenders being overwhelmed. Definitely fallen away for last couple of months so good that we have Skipp. Need to get a top cm in to play alongside Skipp.

But to go back to your point - its been a shitty last few years in the transfer market for us and buying a one season wonder doesn't change tyhat.

dragon1 said:
Lingard we want but two issues are whether United will treat with a top 4 competitor and lingards camp are pushing for a free in the summer with 200k a week wages

kessie we want this window he is at ANc now so messy

we are in for two champ players and one Scottish prem all youngsters , hitchen has a separate project going on running alongside what fab and conte are doing for more established stars ,
the boArd are adamant that there will be players in this window

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

I think we also moved away from buying the good young talent to trying to get to the 'next level' of transfers (the established player) but barring a couple of stand out seasons we have not been in the position in the league to entice them or financially able to compete wages wise with the bigger clubs around.

True, but let's be blunt about it: Our scouting and executive decisionmaking are several tiers beneath a club of out stature.

No matter who have the 16 head coaches were in place.

Mick Brown? Hitchens? Pleat as consultant? An investment banker heading the dreaded transfer comittee?

What this tells me, is that I'd rather we fucked up with the Hoijvergs and Docs of the world rather than the TND's and GLC's

TND, GLC, SB and RS combined accounts for the bulk of our spending for years and years. And all of them are as useless as an appendix.

Partly true

But it doesn't seem to have mattered what price we paid - the football judgement and personality judgement of the bought in players has been bad for quite a few years.

Back
Top Bottom