If you could sell all our players this month and start again, would you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Assuming there were some parameters that made this possible this is likely the most likely time that I would ever be willing to do it. There are so few players on this team that I would want to keep and most of them are at an age that we should be thinking about life without them anyways.

Players I would want to keep based on sentimentality and quality:

Kane, Son, Lloris

Players I would keep because they are young and good:

Romero, Skipp, Sarr

Players that don't suck but aren't irreplaceable:

Reguilon, Sessegnon, Tanganga, Gil

Players who are talented but don't show it so have little use:

Tanguy, GLC

Players who suck and can get the fuck out:

Everyone else

I’d move mountains to try and keep Hugo. He’s still one of the best around and he’s no veteran for a keeper. A good goalie is worth 9-15 points a season and having seen that clown last night, I hope I don’t see Gollini again too often between the sticks. Give him two years and start planning now for a long term replacement.
There’s a few players I’d happily take to the airport, but the reality is we need a creative midfielder, a back up striker and, if Conte wants to play with width on the counter, some reliable wingbacks. But the lack of creativity through the middle of the park is ruining us imo.

I’d move mountains to try and keep Hugo. He’s still one of the best around and he’s no veteran for a keeper. A good goalie is worth 9-15 points a season and having seen that clown last night, I hope I don’t see Gollini again too often between the sticks. Give him two years and start planning now for a long term replacement.
There’s a few players I’d happily take to the airport, but the reality is we need a creative midfielder, a back up striker and, if Conte wants to play with width on the counter, some reliable wingbacks. But the lack of creativity through the middle of the park is ruining us imo.
Trying hard to understand why the second string Aston Villa reject was seen as a viable purchase

Which players have shown up in big games? Dier, Lucas, Son, Hugo, Winks (in his early days) …. Anyone else?

We have a weak spine and have had for many years under ENIC. That Chelsea game the other day was proof of how mentally underpowered we are. Cats in the headlights stuff ON OUR OWN TURF. Makes me piss blood.

Yes 100 percent

I’d happily get rid of everything in this club barring the manager and the facilities
I'd get rid of the manager too. Not because he's shit at what he does or that I think he won't/can't be successful. It's more because I don't like his football.

Are Spurs close enough to consistently be a top 4 team that the squad can be fixed with 4 or fewer additions or subtractions? I don't think it is, so yes if you could somehow wipe the slate clean and start over I would.

I said 18 months ago we should sell Kane and Son and use the windfall to completely retool the club, similar to post-Bale and post-AVB. This era has been over since Madrid.
It could work but I would sell our shit players first to be honest, take realistic prices for them and rebuild. We aren't a poor club, we don't need to hold out for the best posible prices for players if no one is willing to pay them. Get rid of the dozen shit players we have, buy in some better players. Of course, we need decent scouts and I'm not sure we've had that for a while. Otherwise you just end up back where you started.

It could work but I would sell our shit players first to be honest, take realistic prices for them and rebuild. We aren't a poor club, we don't need to hold out for the best posible prices for players if no one is willing to pay them. Get rid of the dozen shit players we have, buy in some better players. Of course, we need decent scouts and I'm not sure we've had that for a while. Otherwise you just end up back where you started.
We're not a poor club, but we're not a "rich" club either (certainly by modern standards). Our owners aren't going to pump money into the club to pay for depreciating assets (players), so the footballing side has to operate sustainably. Contrary to some opinions, the ownership hasn't taken money out of the club, though - unless you count Levy's wage and bonus, which, let's be honest...at modern rates isn't even going to buy us a youth prospect.

So yeah, we should be more willing to let bad investments go. But you can't make a habit of small losses. Small losses add up just the same as small profits, and at the end of the day Spurs have been built up in the 21st century with the small profits bolstered by a few big profits being recycled into smart investments.

As you say, we have to fix our scouting. Certainly before we spend a bunch of money, because we can't really afford to keep making mistakes. We've made very, very costly errors in the past 5 years. And, really, ever since we sold Bale. Eriksen and Toby are probably the only players we've signed since Bale that you could call an unqualified success. Everyone else has been different shades of grey, and most of our signings greater than £20M have been outright failures.

We simply don't have the revenue to keep going forward as we have been, much less spending more money. We're perilously close to running out of chips, I'm afraid.

I would sell almost all of them. But i have zero confidence they would be replaced with anyone better.

Until the scouting and recruitment failures are addressed (and those responsible replaced) we'll lurch from one fucking shit right-back to another slightly more/less shit right-back.

And repeat ad nauseum for the rest of the squad.
Its a Levy problem really....

I'd like it if we sold all our players and invested the money in property 💪

We'd probably be able to afford a slightly run down motorhome at least

Back
Top Bottom