Spurs Youth 2021/22

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jack Clarke medical at Sunderland as of now according to L Rose.
Judging by last night’s effort at Everton he might as well stay there. Contract ends in the summer so won’t be back. We might get some sort of fee as he is just 21.
Not judging him on last night alone but John from Lily Rose has been criticising his displays all season. A punt from Daniel that didn’t work. If I remember correctly th3 fee was around 7m when we bought him. Amusing how it has been quoted at 10m by many thus season and even got to 13m in one newspaper last week.
Is this another connection to Paul Bracewell after Dennis Cirkin left. Kai Sterling also went up there.

I think his contract has another year to run (June 2023), was really surprised he didn't go back out on loan at start of season - maybe back to Stoke where he did ok last season.

I imagine if Sunderland want him at end of this season, a deal will be done - a relatively small fee, add ons based on appearances with a sell on perhaps. Buying young players is always a punt - remember John Bostock and Dean Parrett for example - but Clarke has never really shown anything remarkable or above the level of the Academy lads. Could be Bracewell.... but could be academy staff phoning him to see if Sunderland want to offer a solution, especially if Sunderland think they will go back to Championship next season where Clarke has some experience.

I think his contract has another year to run (June 2023), was really surprised he didn't go back out on loan at start of season - maybe back to Stoke where he did ok last season.

I imagine if Sunderland want him at end of this season, a deal will be done - a relatively small fee, add ons based on appearances with a sell on perhaps. Buying young players is always a punt - remember John Bostock and Dean Parrett for example - but Clarke has never really shown anything remarkable or above the level of the Academy lads. Could be Bracewell.... but could be academy staff phoning him to see if Sunderland want to offer a solution, especially if Sunderland think they will go back to Championship next season where Clarke has some experience.
Yep. JC's contracted until 2023.
He has actually been good so far this season but he was poor last night. I suppose this potential loan was on his mind. I have him down as an £8.5 mill buy so, although to me that is still a lot of money, if we find him a decent club we can recoup a decent chunk of that, especially if he improves.

Yep. JC's contracted until 2023.
He has actually been good so far this season but he was poor last night. I suppose this potential loan was on his mind. I have him down as an £8.5 mill buy so, although to me that is still a lot of money, if we find him a decent club we can recoup a decent chunk of that, especially if he improves.

I cant see him ever being good enough for Spurs , he's now 21, and with his contract ending a year after this season's end then a loan to somewhere where he might get to call home makes perfect sense. Sunderland could be the making of him. Although the deal will only be made at the season, I'm sure they will have talked about it already

Unlucky to be injured on his debut.

But at least he got his 'big move' before getting injured.

What happened here? (as in with him leaving)

Was there any story, seems very off we couldn't work something out with a youngster producing the most important metrics = Goals and Assists.

What happened here? (as in with him leaving)

Was there any story, seems very off we couldn't work something out with a youngster producing the most important metrics = Goals and Assists.

Spurs rarely loaned out youngsters under Poch but Mourhino seemed to re-start the loan system last season with some loans - not enough admittedly. Sadly only reduced to a handful start of the season.

There's only 2 ways for a young player to get experience - play for the first team or go out on loan to a lower league club. And very few youngsters get much playing time in the first team

Markanday did not go out on loan last season, nor this season despite performingly well (goals/assists) in this pre-season - and was playing his 3rd season in PL2, whilst one season is usually enough as a 2nd season they don't learn much more. So ultimately I suspect pissed off with lack of playing opportunities ..... didn't want to sign a new contract and current contract ending in June..... hence him being sold.

We've got a lot of good u23's atm - collectively as good as we've had in a decade. But that will do nothing for us unless they get experience on loan...... when we would find if they are individually talented enough to stand a chance. So its a problem for a number of the squad atm

Jack Clarke medical at Sunderland as of now according to L Rose.
Judging by last night’s effort at Everton he might as well stay there. Contract ends in the summer so won’t be back. We might get some sort of fee as he is just 21.
Not judging him on last night alone but John from Lily Rose has been criticising his displays all season. A punt from Daniel that didn’t work. If I remember correctly th3 fee was around 7m when we bought him. Amusing how it has been quoted at 10m by many thus season and even got to 13m in one newspaper last week.
Is this another connection to Paul Bracewell after Dennis Cirkin left. Kai Sterling also went up there.
I’ve seen Clarke play four times this season: in two he was brilliant, one he was good in the first half and quiet in the second and in the other (Everton) he was a bit disappointing, as was the whole team. Judging by output and reports, he has been one of four outstanding players across the season for the U23s: Markanday, White and John being the others.

Clarke is a good player who we seem to have overpaid for (though frankly I don’t know how much the up front cost was) but that’s what happens when young players have exposure, and was why I was frustrated about Markanday going so cheap.

He clearly had a major confidence dip after suffering injuries and barely playing for Leeds and QPR on loan. The data for his loan at Stoke was very encouraging.

I like Sunderland as a move for him. He will have quality around him in Stewart, Pritchard and Embleton (who I really like by the way) and it’s a bit of a goldfish bowl there so a good test of how his mentality has developed.

I still think he’s very good compared to his age group peers and people’s opinions of him are solely shaped by his transfer fee, which obviously has nothing to do with him.

You mean not club trained surely?
Sorry, I didn’t mean in a regulatory sense . I mean that he did not come through our academy.

People think that we bought a player no better than what we already had at the club, and hold that against him. Which, again, is not Clarke’s fault either way.

Sorry, I didn’t mean in a regulatory sense . I mean that he did not come through our academy.

People think that we bought a player no better than what we already had at the club, and hold that against him. Which, again, is not Clarke’s fault either way.

Don't disagree with your posts, and think Sunderland is not a bad loan for him to show what he can do.

But do you think there is a realistic chance that he comes back in June ready to join Spurs first team squad ? My personal guess is that its a pretty slim chance, but the loan might be a good chance to re-establish himself as a player probably in Championship, but might be lower PL sides.

Don't disagree with your posts, and think Sunderland is not a bad loan for him to show what he can do.

But do you think there is a realistic chance that he comes back in June ready to join Spurs first team squad ? My personal guess is that its a pretty slim chance, but the loan might be a good chance to re-establish himself as a player probably in Championship, but might be lower PL sides.
I can’t see Conte promoting any young players if I’m brutally honest so I expect he’ll leave (as will others) even if he excels in this loan and the next.

I can’t see Conte promoting any young players if I’m brutally honest so I expect he’ll leave (as will others) even if he excels in this loan and the next.

IMO the first half of the season is usually the easiest to play a few youngsters as no matter which european competition we are involved in, there is usually at least one club in our group where a couple of youngsters can get a little game time, plus often a League cup tie. And after that, it just depends whether the manager likes a young player enough (and possibly a couple of first team injuries) to give the youngster more game time.

But even with that, there will never be enough playing time available for more than a lucky few youngsters - and given the size of development squad it makes no sense to keep as many playing PL2, which means we should be seeing 6 - 10 youngsters out on loan, whereas atm there are now 3 (Clarke joining Etete and Parrott).

As for Conte and youth, I think we see how next pre-season is organised, which youngsters are involved and who is included in first team games.

But we do need to get loans sorted - and that's a question of putting the organisation in place which surely should be part of the youth set up and not down to the First Team Manager ? Either way we don't seem to have it set up atm.

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves as the 5th round of The FA Youth Cup against Wolves has yet to be played (scheduled 12 February) but 6th Round draw made today

So prospect is to play Charlton or Brighton in 6th round

Back
Top Bottom