Have we signed the Mighty Amrabat?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lucas is a baked bean, do we need another?

• Yes

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 44 65.7%

• Total voters
Whoever think a top coach like Conte would want 5th tier reserve player like Amrabat need a serious brain check.
Media use this kind of rumours all the time, as x coach want this player and blq, blq blq.....
Won't be surpised if the rumours comes from Levy, the part where Conte is happy with Amrabat as a player....

Damn not even average player would want this guy.
This is Levy/Paratici type of sign all over.
How do you know what conte wants? I mean you are just throwing a random comment out here and acting like it’s proof.

Because our need in midfield is to add more goals, creativity and press resistant players. I would say that set pieces would also be a bonus and the ability to progress the ball through passing, so we no longer have to bypass the MF like we currently do would help as well, but not quite as key in a Conte system.

This guy does not add goals, does not take free kicks, has no creativity in his game and isn't very good under pressure or a progressive passer of the ball.

There is little to nothing to indicate that he adds anything to the MF that we don't already get from our 3 "main" MFers- Skipp, PEH and Wanks- and we have seen that MF isn't close to good enough. There isn't much to think that he is an improvement over any of them.

I also would say there is not limited information on him. He played in one of the biggest leagues in Europe, as well as playing in international games for Morocco. He is 25 years old so has multiple seasons playing as well. It might not be direct viewings of his game but there is plenty information out there about what this guy is all about. It is unlikely he is a secret KdB clone just waiting for his chance.
Amrabat has been probably the best dribbler from CM in série A for a couple of years. So that is a type of press resistance which could be valued.

He’s probably not the ideal player to come into CM but he is only coming on a short term loan with no obligation to buy. If the club wants a CM now then the options are limited, no?

Edit: he’s more use than lo Celso, alli and Ndombele which is the point, no?

It depends what you mean by “sense”.

He’s another Winks. The idea that there’s any mystery in this player is absolutely false. There is absolutely no chance of any kind this is a meaningful or impactful player who surprises us. None, zero, period. We’re bringing in a second Winks for six months.

That’s not nothing! It gives us cover, and opens up the possibility of going 3-5-2 more often, which seems like our best formation. One hopes it also means Harvey White gets a decent Champo loan to kick on his development.

And it costs basically zero.

So sure, whatever. But in our best XI in a big game, his role is coming on for the last 15 minutes to protect the lead we won’t have. Totally meaningless player in the grand scheme who doesn’t advance the Conte project one iota.
Will he be more use to us than Ndombele, Lo Celso and Alli have been?

I think he could be. And the fact he costs zero is a plus right?

Who do you think we should be targeting to help us in the next 6 months?

Will he be more use to us than Ndombele, Lo Celso and Alli have been?

I think he could be. And the fact he costs zero is a plus right?

Who do you think we should be targeting to help us in the next 6 months?
I mean, Ndombele and Lo Celso have much, much more than Amarbat does. But Conte is not the first manager to find those to be unreliable players. It’s a shitty situation.

(I don’t think Dele is a midfielder at all, but Nuno kinda-sorta got half a tune out of him in a CM3 so who knows)

I mean, Ndombele and Lo Celso have much, much more than Amarbat does. But Conte is not the first manager to find those to be unreliable players. It’s a shitty situation.

(I don’t think Dele is a midfielder at all, but Nuno kinda-sorta got half a tune out of him in a CM3 so who knows)
Yeah I agree it’s a really terrible situation. Imagine the difference if lo Celso and Ndombele were 80% the players we’d hope they’d be. It sucks.

But here we are and we have to face this situation. Getting Ndombele out would be great. I say that with a heavy heart.

Amrabat has been probably the best dribbler from CM in série A for a couple of years. So that is a type of press resistance which could be valued.

If players know all you can do is dribble it isn't hard to defend against especially when he is playing in a MF with no options for him to pass to if he gets in trouble. We also have that skill in players already so not sure it adds much.

He’s probably not the ideal player to come into CM but he is only coming on a short term loan with no obligation to buy. If the club wants a CM now then the options are limited, no?

I don't think they are that limited. Eriksen and Coutinho are two examples of CM available that add a lot of the things we don't have. I am sure there are others out there as well.

Debatable that he is, but no that is not the goal. The goal is to compete with the City's, United's, Chelsea's, Liverpool's and this is another player we are looking to bring to our side that is nowhere close to their level.

If players know all you can do is dribble it isn't hard to defend against especially when he is playing in a MF with no options for him to pass to if he gets in trouble. We also have that skill in players already so not sure it adds much.

I don't think they are that limited. Eriksen and Coutinho are two examples of CM available that add a lot of the things we don't have. I am sure there are others out there as well.

Debatable that he is, but no that is not the goal. The goal is to compete with the City's, United's, Chelsea's, Liverpool's and this is another player we are looking to bring to our side that is nowhere close to their level.
I don’t think the goal for the next 6 months is to compete with those clubs. Next year maybe but for now we need to guarantee top 4. There’s a fair chance he will contribute more than any of those 3 players under conte. Sure he probably doesn’t have the same ceiling but all three players have seriously underwhelmed and offered less than Winks, Hojbjerg and Skipp have this season. Alli has had one good game (Liverpool), Lo Celso has had no good games and Ndombele… wow.

I don’t know if Coutinho and Eriksen are the solution. Perhaps they are but they’re very different players to what’s expected in CM and that seems to be what Conte wants. Diaz is the better comparison with Coutinho (not even a CM lol) and Eriksen.

I don’t think the goal for the next 6 months is to compete with those clubs. Next year maybe but for now we need to guarantee top 4. There’s a fair chance he will contribute more than any of those 3 players under conte. Sure he probably doesn’t have the same ceiling but all three players have seriously underwhelmed and offered less than Winks, Hojbjerg and Skipp have this season. Alli has had one good game (Liverpool), Lo Celso has had no good games and Ndombele… wow.

I don’t know if Coutinho and Eriksen are the solution. Perhaps they are but they’re very different players to what’s expected in CM and that seems to be what Conte wants. Diaz is the better comparison with Coutinho (not even a CM lol) and Eriksen.
If Betancur and Guimaraes move into the league those are two players with precisely the profile we’re looking for for the next six months and beyond.

Going to two clubs that will be better than us very rapidly.

The goal should always be to compete with those teams. Otherwise what happens is that next summer we have too much to do to get everything done, then next January it is too hard to get deals done in January, then the following summer well they have improved too so we have more to do to catch up.

It is a never ending cycle if we don't start making moves to bring in quality over warm bodies.

And Eriksen and Coutinho definitely help out with their goals from midfield, passing and free kicks. We should be looking for better than them, but compared to Amrabat they help the team in areas we are lacking.

He's started 1, played 215 minutes in the league this season...
I didn’t know that. Underwhelming season.

Let’s see how he does for 4 months. I get that he’s not a player who’s going to make fans dream about success but he might be a competent stock gap with very low downside. I’m not going to have strong feelings about this.

Fucking hell...

:pochwtf:

I always thought the accusations of paid Enic bots and club propaganda accounts were wild conspiracy theories, but this has given me pause for thought...

Hey, I hear Amrabat was excluded from the Ballon D'Or voting as it wouldn't have been fair on the rest of world football if he were in the competition...

If Betancur and Guimaraes move into the league those are two players with precisely the profile we’re looking for for the next six months and beyond.

Going to two clubs that will be better than us very rapidly.
Exactly, people can claim January is difficult and nobody wants to sell their decent players as much as they like, but when you see a club in the bottom 3 and a mid-table club in Birmingham signing players that would walk into our team then it becomes impossible to buy that as an excuse.

So what's the next one, can't compete with Villa and Newcastle??

Pathetic.

If he's a player Conte wants then I hope we get him. The system and players who fit a role are more important for a great coach than a top notch player who won't do those things. It's definitely underwhelming but guys like this can be elevated by good coaches and played in the right way. He doesn't fill the absolute need of what we want but we definitely need more CM's and competition can elevate the other players in our squad.

Fucking hell...

:pochwtf:

I always thought the accusations of paid Enic bots and club propaganda accounts were wild conspiracy theories, but this has given me pause for thought...

Hey, I hear Amrabat was excluded from the Ballon D'Or voting as it wouldn't have been fair on the rest of world football if he were in the competition...
That’s a fact. We can disagree on judgements but we can’t disagree on facts.

Back
Top Bottom