Which player is the clubs best transfer of the last 20 years?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There is a lot of fairly justified talk of how piss poor our transfers record is but I’d like to know what we think is the best club transfer of the last twenty years?

My vote goes for Modric, my reasoning is four fold:

- Finding a quality cm is like finding a needle in a haystack.
- It was a gamble as Modric is a very slight guy who you’d think wouldn’t be suited for the league.
- He was scouted from a little known league so even more of a gamble.
- He excelled at Spurs and went on to become one of the best midfielders in football history.

My second place is Ben Davies :levylol:.. no but for real my runner up is Hugo.

For price relative to the price inflation level of the time, Christian Eriksen for 11 million in 2013 was pretty unbelievable and tough to beat.

Jan Vertonghen for 9.5 also springs to mind.

Though we aren’t in position to go on either summer’s big spree if not for Modric and Bale of course, so it’s all a bit of a chain.

For price relative to the price inflation level of the time, Christian Eriksen for 11 million in 2013 was pretty unbelievable and tough to beat.

Jan Vertonghen for 9.5 also springs to mind.

Though we aren’t in position to go on either summer’s big spree if not for Modric and Bale of course, so it’s all a bit of a chain.

Wow I forgot Jan was only 9.5 , that is definitely up there!

Bale by a mile. Joined the club for chicken feed, went on to absolutely tear the league a new one and give us some incredible champions league moments as well. Then earned us a record fee, albeit we pissed most of it up the wall .. but hey, it got us Eriksen.

I think Modric is the player that elevated us to a new level. Without him I don’t think our evolution over the last 10-12 years would have happened. He made it possible for us to play football on the level of the top clubs, without him we would never have been relevant.

Gotta be between Bale & Modric.

Runners-up you'd have Hugo, Eriksen, Super Jan, Sonny...

The old strike force of Robbie Keane, Berbatov, Defoe did great for us too, as did Van der Vaart

Bale by a mile. Joined the club for chicken feed, went on to absolutely tear the league a new one and give us some incredible champions league moments as well. Then earned us a record fee, albeit we pissed most of it up the wall .. but hey, it got us Eriksen.
No beating the value with Bale, but in some sense I’ve always felt that we (‘Arry most of all) built the player he became.

I think Bale beats Modric comfortably due to that frankly ridiculous, almost nonsensical final season (Has any team ever been such a one man show? So many worldies in one season, so many get out of jail free cards .. we were terrible) and the insane fee we got for him. When we sold Modric we got nowhere near what he was really worth.

Gotta be between Bale & Modric.

Runners-up you'd have Hugo, Eriksen, Super Jan, Sonny...

The old strike force of Robbie Keane, Berbatov, Defoe did great for us too, as did Van der Vaart

That's how my list would look.

Hugo would could be Bale & Modric tier.

No beating the value with Bale, but in some sense I’ve always felt that we (‘Arry most of all) built the player he became.

Definitely Harry was a great manager for him, but the ability there was frightening. That kind of athleticism and technical quality combined = perfect premier league player. It's a real shame he had bad injury issues, because he was absolutely one of the very best players of his generation.

I’d put Bale closely behind Modric and Hugo for the simple reasoning that in his position there is an abundance of talent and for example Sonny shortly followed Bale. However I do believe that a world class centre mid and keeper are much harder to come by compared to a world class winger.

Back
Top Bottom