January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We seem to be targeting players who are struggling for game time presumably because they haven't been good enough and swapping them for our dross.
I don't think we have a clue just wild opportunist punts with no coherent strategy the same as the present windows.
Lessons still have not been learnt.
New Club Motto:
One club's dead weight is another club's ambitious signing.

I dont know why and its only from some clips and what Juve fans are saying but somehow Kulusevski feels a bit like Emerson, a younger player who may not be hopeless but probably wont be quite good enough and who we're trying, and failing, to shift in 18 months/2 years. I really hope i'm wrong but it all feels very...meh.
Just another cheap option
Same old same old

Of the 3 linked Juve players

Bentacur
Kulu
Morata

Bentacur would be the most useful so obv he’s the most likely.

Presumably any deal for morata is negotiated with Atletico

I haven't been to a game in over 2 years now , last one was actually Poch's last game vs Sheffield utd in November 2019

I miss going but I simply refuse to put a penny back into that club until something drastic changes

I realise I am in the minority and I'll be waiting a long time but I just can't bring myself to hand over a penny of my hard earned money to those chancers
You are in an ever growing minority, I’m not there yet but I will not renew in the lounge . Will still go but not paying anymore than I need to in future

I'm going to try to be positive/fair:

>gazumped by Barca on Traore
>gazumped by Liverpool on Diaz

With regards to those two, we were screwed the moment they decided to muscle in on our prospective deals. Not a chance either player was going to turn them down for us,

We still should have done all of this earlier in the window and cannot understand why we didn't - the silver lining however is that last night (with the Diaz thing falling apart) was not deadline day and despite the rush there is still time to get business done. We've been consistently told that Paratici operates by having multiple 'options' ready to pull the trigger on first choice (then second if that doesn't work out, etc etc) so I suppose that's what we're seeing with Kulusevski; better to bring him in if we like him than be left completely empty handed.

Tim And Eric Idk GIF
giphy.gif

Look at the type of players we are going for now. One can't even start for Fiorientina, other is touted as one of the worst signings ever by juve and has more yellow cards than goals or assists. Other is an Woolwich fan that plays non-league football. What an ambition!

The sad thing is that would make this a good window for us.

I know Levy has his fault etc. etc. but it’s interesting that quite a few seem to think that those agents who Levy & Paratici were dealing were not to blame, and that in the end it was down to Traore and Diaz whether they wanted to sign for Spurs or another club.
In both cases, Spurs did meet all the demands of both the clubs and the players… but not knowing they were played.
When a club negotiates a deal with a player they ask the concerning part to keep quiet about the deal – until the contract is signed. In both cases, the respective agents have leaked info about it to other interested clubs.
Liverpool was after Luis Diaz last summer and was most probably thinking of signing him this summer but when they heard that Spurs were about to sign him they jumped. It’s not as if they decided to buy him all of a sudden.
Traore said, “Barcelona is my home,” last summer. And when their financial situation got sorted out they had the means to bid for him.
No one can blame either player for choosing Liverpool and Barca over Spurs. We also like it when some player chooses Spurs over, say, Woolwich…
Yes, it is upsetting what happened as it would send a message to Conte that he’s being supported and it’s extra annoying since Spurs had worked on the Traore deal for a while. Yes, Levy was most probably dragging his feet but I am fairly convinced that Spurs were “played” big time by some agents who did not honor their words.
In the end, both players decided against signing for Spurs.

Not sure why the idea of bargain hunting at the end of the window still persists. Aside from VDV, have we actually scored any real deals in all of these years at the very end of a window?

Sure, it sounds theoretically like an idea that makes sense, but more often than not (especially in January) the buying team is going to get screwed. I think Levy knows this too and we give him far too much credit that we are intentionally waiting to do business until the end. We've all done it over the years with the idea of "Levy time" memes as it gets closer to the end of a window.

The sad reality is that it doesn't exist. We literally drag our feet because we have no vision, no ambition, or any semblance of a plan aside from how we can eek out as many points as possible with as little spend as possible.

Back
Top Bottom