January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This makes me sad.

Ultimately my priority is what happens in the 95 minutes off action. I believe Kulusevski improves that experience.

All the superfluous noise, it’s being background for me.

We chose this club so wet deserve it

be30202ef59acaa6c169fc5889f7322e.jpg

We chose this club so we deserve it
Chose it? Some were lucky enough (?) to be born into it, others similarly lucky enough (?) through geography, but loads of us sort of slipped into it as kids.

As an 8 or 9 year old in rural Norfolk, I liked the name. Then my sister's boyfriend (now brother in law) took me to The Lane and pulled me in. I'm not sure "choice" in an Aristotelian sense came into it.

He’s actually found his way back in the team, but Mattia De Sciglio’s contract ends in June and he’d complete a hat trick of wantaway Juve guys who are bulleyes for our needs.

Betancur, Morata and De Sciglio. One fell swoop.
De Sciglio has had major injury troubles. And he couldn't even do well at Lyon. In a poor league.

You don't sign a Morata on big wages to have him play 2nd fiddle to Kane. I'd rather sign Moise Kean in that case.

We don't need Betancur. First, he's very average. Second, he's a pretty defensive-minded CM. We need creativity aplenty.

Try again

We did. For that 3 month stint when Jomo took over.

Hasn’t reached that level since
That spell has both been wildly overrated in retrospect, and also that was more the progressive energetic Argentina midfielder than the goalscoring 10 he was at Betis. A true one season wonder.

16 in 45 that season, 20 in 229 for the whole remainder of his senior career for club and country.

I'd never ever say yes to a loan with an obligation to buy. Should always be an option. Especially for someone like Kulusevski who has major question marks about him. And we're talk5ing a price tag of a good 30mil.

If Levy agrees, he really is the king of cunts.

Say to Juve it's an option and nothing else. If you don't wanna, fuck off. I'd rather run the risk of him going to Woolwich.

But Levy will agree. Kulusevski will be shit but we'll still have to cough up 30mil in the summer. Then we'll be stuck with him for 3-4 years, unable to shift him. Or he'll go...for 4-5 mil.

That spell has both been wildly overrated in retrospect, and also that was more the progressive energetic Argentina midfielder than the goalscoring 10 he was at Betis. A true one season wonder.

16 in 45 that season, 20 in 229 for the whole remainder of his senior career for club and country.
Was it? I genuinely don’t recall, which I guess does prove the point that he wouldn’t have been spectacular.
The football we were playing at that point in time wasn’t great, and I’ve mostly blocked it out, but he was one player I remember doing really well.

I'd never ever say yes to a loan with an obligation to buy. Should always be an option. Especially for someone like Kulusevski who has major question marks about him. And we're talk5ing a price tag of a good 30mil.

If Levy agrees, he really is the king of cunts.

Say to Juve it's an option and nothing else. If you don't wanna, fuck off. I'd rather run the risk of him going to Woolwich.

But Levy will agree. Kulusevski will be shit but we'll still have to cough up 30mil in the summer. Then we'll be stuck with him for 3-4 years, unable to shift him. Or he'll go...for 4-5 mil.
There are two kinds of loan + obligation.

The first is just a purchase. It’s cooking the books to move the money around a la Mbappe to Monaco or Romero to us.

The second is where the obligation only triggers under certain conditions, a la Lo Celso.

If the obligation only triggers if Kulusevski makes at least 10 starts in the league AND we make the CL, that would be one thing. An obligation that triggers if we make any UEFA competition regardless of if he plays would be entirely different.

The devil is in the details.

Whilst by and large you are right it’s not quite that simple. For top It’s often a mix of fixed payment and a % of all sales.
The lid was lifted on deals like this when new balance vs Liverpool fc ended up in court over renewing their shirt deal.
Although it’s of note to contract lawyers for its impact on the validity of matching clauses it handily lays out the terms of Nb’ and nikes offer in graphic detail.

Interesting reading you can view it in full here. New Balance Athletics, Inc v The Liverpool Football Club and Athletic Grounds Ltd [2019] EWHC 2837 (Comm) (25 October 2019)

But suffice to say any shirt deal is HIGHLY unlikely to pay for any player in the EXTRA shirt sales or even come anywhere close. (Although I could see that for example signing say Harland or prime cr7 could allow you to renegotiate in order to benefit from the obvious massive rise in shirt sales but that’s complicated for all sorts of reasons.)

Source: me. This is my day job. And before you ask. Yes I do have a very good view of what our deal is. No I’m not telling. It would be professional misconduct and lead to me being struck off.
Can you get me some Jordan 1s before the reseller bots snap them up?

So many people are panicking.

We need to remember that Conte is 6-3-1 in the league.

Romero will be a like a new signing for the 2nd half of the season, a world class centre back who is suited to playing in a back 3.

I would rather see us save money for the Summer.

If we make the top 4, we will spend big. I am sure of it.

I know it might all be media talk BS, but it seems like there are deals out there for players that we, more importantly Conte, wants out and yet they always seem to have some hold up.

Why does it always seem that we have to make everything so hard. Fucking Levy fucks up even the straight forward deals for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom