January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think most Spurs fans want genuine, indisputable upgrades who come in and can be immediately expected to improve the team. I don't think that this is an unreasonable expectation (Or wouldn't be, at almost any other club with our revenue streams) but it appears that is the way some feel. If we had such a window, I'm almost certain the fans would applaud it.

The idea that people are critical of this window because they would complain about anything is ridiculous and ignores the reality of the window.

We got two players, neither highly rated and both in positions that were not in need, unless you see Kulusevski as a MFer, although in that case the argument could be made why not get an actual MFer rather than someone you hope can move there. Those are legitimate concerns with this window.

In this window had we got someone like Guimaraes instead of Bentancur I would easily say it was 5/10 maybe higher, Add a mediocre back-up striker like the rumoured Morata again 5/10, a better than average back-up like Zapata 6/10. If we added top deep lying midfielder like a Bissouma/Neves easily 7 or 8/10.

Plenty of ways for people to be happy with this window without us having to bring in unreasonable players or having unreasonable expectations.

I think that there is a unrealistic nostalgia as to how good we were back then.

- Pep took over City in 2016. After a season of rebuilding, they were ready to compete in 2017.
- Liverpool signed Salah; and had signed Mane the season before.
- Chelsea had just got Conte.

I'm not sure sure that we have declined - its more that the teams around us got significantly better and we have stood still and not signed players good enough to take us to the next level.

Of course we have declined. There isn't a player in our team now that could get into our team back then outside of Kane, Son, Lloris who were on the team and if you take the current versions of them I don't think any of them replace their younger versions.

Never know a team with so many fans who love their chairman as much as ours. Usually don’t like them or indifferent . We have people spending most of the day praising & defending them. He really knows how to manipulate & fool people as you mentioned. Got to give him that. Every year he gets it very wrong & we play average. Yet he manages to get his fans to double down on their support for him.
He has fans who love him, because he took us from mediocrity and debt in 2001 and steadily improved our financial muscle so we can become a top club. We've been in the CL 5 times in the past 12 years and in the EL the rest. Clubs similar to us like Everton, Villa, Spam, Newcastle are still mired in mediocrity.

Have we done equally as well on the footballing front? No. But we're in a position now to do well, exactly because we have the financial muscle. There will be missteps along the way, but it's an upward trajectory. This shit doesn't happen overnight. It takes time. That's why some fans love him. Then there's the short-sighted bunch who would rather bankrupt the club to win a fucking FA cup. To them he's anathema. And when we start winning stuff, they'll probably also say it's in spite of Levy, completely ignoring the fact that it was his 20+ years in charge that put us in that position.

In my opinion, he's the best chairman we could have. He's not perfect and he fucks things up, but name me one other chairman over the past 20+ years that has done for his team as much as he has done for Spurs.

In fairness I went back a bit through some of his older videos (he basically runs a Juve fan channel) and he’s had these views for a long time. They legitimately mostly seem delighted these players have gone.

Doesn’t mean they’re right of course, fans are wrong all the time. But it’s hard to get excited about signing players another struggling club are thrilled to be rid of.
Doesn’t bode but proof will be in the pudding. Still worrying these two came out nowhere and I wonder who suggested these two. Worse thing is juve fans happy to see the back of them and patrici took the bait. He basically had no one else. He really is a fraud!

In my opinion, he's the best chairman we could have. He's not perfect and he fucks things up, but name me one other chairman over the past 20+ years that has done for his team as much as he has done for Spurs.

The Man City chairman, Roman, Multiple Woolwich chairmen, Leicester City Chairman, Liverpool Chairman.

I would say you might argue the Brighton and Brentford Chairmen as well considering the size of their clubs and what they have done.

Probably a few more but those are the obvious ones off the top of my head.

It does always make me laugh when apologists try to act like we were some small, pathetic club when ENIC took over and they took us to levels we never saw before.

The idea that people are critical of this window because they would complain about anything is ridiculous and ignores the reality of the window.

We got two players, neither highly rated and both in positions that were not in need, unless you see Kulusevski as a MFer, although in that case the argument could be made why not get an actual MFer rather than someone you hope can move there. Those are legitimate concerns with this window.

In this window had we got someone like Guimaraes instead of Bentancur I would easily say it was 5/10 maybe higher, Add a mediocre back-up striker like the rumoured Morata again 5/10, a better than average back-up like Zapata 6/10. If we added top deep lying midfielder like a Bissouma/Neves easily 7 or 8/10.

Plenty of ways for people to be happy with this window without us having to bring in unreasonable players or having unreasonable expectations.
Doesn’t seem like a 9 is feasible for our club. Who are we meant to attract? Mbappé ?

Not sure about saddling is with Zapata if we can get someone better in the summer

Doesn’t seem like a 9 is feasible for our club. Who are we meant to attract? Mbappé ?

Not sure about saddling is with Zapata if we can get someone better in the summer

Zapata was rumoured to be available for a loan with no buy obligations so we wouldn't have been saddled with him at all.

Why is a 9 not feasible? Plenty of options out there for us.

It could have been better but for a Jan window it was decent

Got rid of the players didn't want and brought in 2 guys who can play the system he wants & specifically 1 player he wanted badly at Inter

It's a solid 7/10 all things considered in my opinion, other top 4 hopefuls have had their squad weakened and we have strengthened ours

Summer window is obviously massive for us but I believe we will get top 4 and kick on.

COYS

Very confusing post.

We signed an actual midfielder in Bentancur...

It's the Elkann family. The Agnellis are directors, but it's their cousins who TRULY own Juve. fogueres fogueres can tell us more though.
The Agnelli family has owned Juventus since 1923. Attorney Gianni Agnelli was the most famous owner. One of the daughters married the writer Elkann and thus the Elkann branch was born, of which John is the leading man. It's just a game of surnames. Juventus is now owned by the company Exor, the safe of the Agnelli family.

Very confusing post.

We signed an actual midfielder in Bentancur...

DM safe-passing MFer was not a position we needed so it doesn't fill a need. In fact we likely have too many of that type of player now and could move one out if we were run properly.

We needed a deep lying playmaker to fit in Conte's 3-5-2 formation and an attacking Midfiedler with some passing, scoring and creative ability to pair with Skipp either in a 2 or play in the 3 man MF.

Bentancur fits neither role.

DM safe-passing MFer was not a position we needed so it doesn't fill a need. In fact we likely have too many of that type of player now and could move one out if we were run properly.

We needed a deep lying playmaker to fit in Conte's 3-5-2 formation and an attacking Midfiedler with some passing, scoring and creative ability to pair with Skipp either in a 2 or play in the 3 man MF.

Bentancur fits neither role.
Looks to me like Conte will prefer the 343/3421 setup, judging by the depth in certain positions

Looks to me like Conte will prefer the 343/3421 setup, judging by the depth in certain positions

We will see but if playing that way the MF is still not good enough as there is nobody to play next to Skipp that is quality especially with the ball. So again a redundant player to what we have.

Also it is odd that Conte prefers to play a system that doesn't suit his best players and that he rarely played before.

If there is an itk on SC it’s jjetset.

I love the idea that Traore couldn't do what we wanted and that is why he isn't here.

LOL

I know this is supposed to be one the "good" ITKs from that site but it shows how clueless they all are even if they supposed have a famous sister.

We will see but if playing that way the MF is still not good enough as there is nobody to play next to Skipp that is quality especially with the ball. So again a redundant player to what we have.

Also it is odd that Conte prefers to play a system that doesn't suit his best players and that he rarely played before.
I hear ya but every manager will switch to a system to a system that they've rarely used before at some point.

I heard that he preferred a 424 in his earlier managerial years, then switched to 3 at the back at Juve and done alright there.

Plus, it seems that Kulu could play as a number 10 too

Of course we have declined. There isn't a player in our team now that could get into our team back then outside of Kane, Son, Lloris who were on the team and if you take the current versions of them I don't think any of them replace their younger versions.

Sanchez played 41 games 17/18. Dier played 47. Davies 38. They were all regular starters in that team - and I would aruge that they are all better players than they were back then. I would also argue that Kane has improved.

Was Vertonghen (then) better that Dier (now)?

Was Aurier better than Doherty/Royal?

Is Reguillon better than Davies?

Prime Eriksen / Alli clearly being the big difference.

Sanchez played 41 games 17/18. Dier played 47. Davies 38. They were all regular starters in that team - and I would aruge that they are all better players than they were back then. I would also argue that Kane has improved.

Except it was 16/17 that we were at our best, and yes Walker and Rose shit all over Doherty and Reguilon. We also had Dembele who you left out and was one of the best players in the league in that period, then you’ve got Eriksen and Dele. Also not only did we have Prime Jan we had Toby who was incredible in that period.

Lloris=Lloris

Walker>Emerson
Dier=Dier
Toby>Romero
Vertonghen>Davies
Rose>Regulion
Wanyama>Hojbjerg
Dembele>Skipp
Eriksen>Lucas
Dele<Son
Kane=Kane

You must be trolling if you honestly think this side could hold a candle to that team.

That team had a lot of injuries which had people playing more than they should have. Dier also played in midfield not as a CB. It was also the start of the decline of that Spurs era.

The preferred CB pair was Jan-Toby no CB on our team is close to them.

Aurier 100% better than those two but Trippier played more and he is now and definitely then better than those two.

Reguilon is better than Davies but Rose likely the best of all 3.

So yes that 17/18 team was still much, much better and it really is only injuries to key players that makes some positions closer than they actually are.

And if you look at 16/17 it isn't even remotely close.

Back
Top Bottom