January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fact of the matter is that every Woolwich supporter I know says that Spurs had a great window and they had a shite window. We are well positioned to finish 4/5 which will be an awesome achievement from where we started.

if we sell Dele and Ndombele for 90mil combined that is incredible from where the majority of us ( including me) thought we would be at the beginning of this window.

People need to stop the wetting the bed.

He also has a point though. Levy dithers; it's one of the things he's known for. We've heard a hundred times before how deals are agreed in in substantial detail, then Levy throws a curveball in at the last moment.

If we ran a tighter ship I'm fairly convinced that we could have wrapped up Diaz, but our entire M.O. seems to be to sit and wait instead, "monitoring" a player's status and availability and leaving plenty of room for negotiation and renegotiation. Every transfer target seems to be subject to Levy's requirement of driving the hardest possible bargain first and foremost, and delivering for his coach seems to be a distant second.

Whilst I would agree that Levi is bloody hard to deal with the whole Diaz saga is rubbish.

We now hear that Liverpool had been in contact for weeks with a plan to buy Diaz in the summer, Spurs meeting the asking price simply forced Liverpool's hand.

This is guesswork but it would seem reasonable to assume that if we bid Jan 1 or Jan 25 the result would have been the same, Liverpool would have stepped in.

What we do know is that both Spurs and Liverpool's bids were accepted and that the player was swayed by playing CL football this season.

Airfixx Airfixx . I wish we could score as many times as you hit the disagree button. Spurs would be winning, "The Ballon d'Or".
:mourweird:

Well I didn't say that. I said that Levy dithers and leaves plenty of room for renegotiation. He runs the clock out on seemingly every transfer we ever make. You can choose to reduce it to just pure $$$ but that's really missing the point; that Levy makes negotiations way more painful and time-consuming than all parties to a transfer expect or prefer.
No you didn't, but this whole argument was started by the spurious claim that we lost Diaz because Levy offered £5m less than Liverpool. This is entirely false, the claim is entirely fictional. Our Diaz offer was accepted. Liverpool were then alerted that one of their main Summer 2022 targets was about to be gone, they acted. They're a more attractive proposition than us right now in terms of challenging for trophies and CL football. The fact our pulling power for players is lower than a couple of years ago is absolutely on Levy, I happily accept that. When we were riding high with almost nailed on CL football and reaching the final we had a real chance to kick on, we didn't.

My main point is there's enough real stuff to knock Levy for, but when people make stuff up it sort of diltues their arguments and it's also just mind numbingly mindless and boring. I agree he tries to negotiate too hard and for too long. I agree with the dither and delay. We didn't lose out on these deals this January because of that though.

Hallelujah, It seems some have seen the light. Barca wrap up a deal in one day that we Haggled about for 2 windows. It was 5 days after our initial proposal that Liverpool hijacked Diaz. Agents hate dealing with Levy. Its common knowledge. Who advises the player what team to choose? Do people really think they want to sit for two weeks with Levy to iron out the smallest detail or would they rather talk to Klopp, "I want him. How much. Lemme sign the cheque".

Total fiction .... why do you bother? if you must troll at least try harder. Check the date ....

Liverpool make their first approach to sign €70million Luis Diaz

Not the thread maybe but top 4 is still totally open. Both Spurs, Woolwich and United can put a mostly decent ish first 11 out on paper, however all 3 don’t have great depth. How the squad is managed for the rest of the season and luck with injuries will be critical. Hopefully this is where having an experienced and top quality coach like Conte seals the deal.

United not replacing Martial and Greenwood and Woolwich making a pigs ear of the striker situation is gold for us.

Tierney can't defend - ask any Woolwich fan what always happens against a big team - Regi all day long when he's fit.
Tomiyasu has done well playing 1400 minutes with 1 assist, Emerson has managed 1200 with 1 assist, let's face it neither are pulling up any trees.
Romero (23)/Dier (28)/Sanchez (25) >>>>> Gabriel (24)/White (24)/????? all day long, we've conceded less this season despite a manger meltdown. For me we still have far more potential upside.

Sure I'm biased, but then so are you for a bunch of Gooners? You live in a strange reality.

What's my inherent bias meant to be here? Sure you can say my opinion is wrong ( I get it .. it was never going to be a popular one on a Spurs forum) but that doesn't equate to bias. These wouldn't be controversial takes outside of the Spurs bubble.

I don't allow my being a fan of this club to impact my rating of players. Personally I'd take players like Gabriel and Tierney straight in to our team, but hey you don't have to agree .. that's the beauty of football opinions.

But also, Emerson has played a large part of the season at wing back, Tomiyasu at RB. We've conceded 1 less goal having played 1 less game under one defence first manager and another pragmatic one. I also rate defenders not only on defensive ability but their ability to progress the ball up the pitch, a category Woolwich's have us beat in.

What's my inherent bias meant to be here? Sure you can say my opinion is wrong ( I get it .. it was never going to be a popular one on a Spurs forum) but that doesn't equate to bias. These wouldn't be controversial takes outside of the Spurs bubble.

I don't allow my being a fan of this club to impact my rating of players. Personally I'd take players like Gabriel and Tierney straight in to our team, but hey you don't have to agree .. that's the beauty of football opinions.

But also, Emerson has played a large part of the season at wing back, Tomiyasu at RB. We've conceded 1 less goal having played 1 less game under one defence first manager and another pragmatic one. I also rate defenders not only on defensive ability but their ability to progress the ball up the pitch, a category Woolwich's have us beat in.

Your opinion is perfectly fine - but when you claimed that "all neutrals" will rate a bunch of average Woolwich players over Spurs players - that's always going to be challenged.

Not a Woolwich fan I know is overly happy with the four players you talked-up. The best is Tomy but he's played less than 20 games, the other three all have glaring weaknesses, Tierney can't defend, White can't head, Gabriel is their equivalent of Sanchez, a brainfart coming.

Not my view that's Woolwich fans views - odd that you a Spurs fan rate them so much higher, but then if that's your opinion fair enough - don't wrongly claim everyone agrees with you, I can assure you they don't.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion and in the case of Romero and Gabriel I have only watched them for 5-6 games. If I was to rate the back line in order I would go the below.

1 Romero
2 Gabriel
3 Dier
4 White
6 Tierney/Regulion (both have weaknesses)
7 Davies
8 Emerson/Tomiyasu

Not much difference to me. Big diff is the managers, Conte has had only a short time but I expect him to get more out of his defenders than Arteta.

:mourweird:

No you didn't, but this whole argument was started by the spurious claim that we lost Diaz because Levy offered £5m less than Liverpool. This is entirely false, the claim is entirely fictional. Our Diaz offer was accepted. Liverpool were then alerted that one of their main Summer 2022 targets was about to be gone, they acted. They're a more attractive proposition than us right now in terms of challenging for trophies and CL football. The fact our pulling power for players is lower than a couple of years ago is absolutely on Levy, I happily accept that. When we were riding high with almost nailed on CL football and reaching the final we had a real chance to kick on, we didn't.

My main point is there's enough real stuff to knock Levy for, but when people make stuff up it sort of diltues their arguments and it's also just mind numbingly mindless and boring. I agree he tries to negotiate too hard and for too long. I agree with the dither and delay. We didn't lose out on these deals this January because of that though.
Good God, step the fuck back dude with that formatting.

Wasn’t brilliant, but better than what expected. 6.5/10

Yeah solid 6/7 out of 10, would have been an 8 if we got a RWB and probably a 10 if we got a backup striker but that's just me being greedy.

My expectations though because it's a January window was never a 10/10, not many clubs, if any get all their targets in January and an 8/10 would have been great but a 6/10 I'm not mad at it.

It was decent as we've had a freshen up. We got rid of some stinkers who were bringing negative vibes around the place and we've bought in two players who can't wait to prove themselves.

The 4 other teams fighting for top 4 did nothing and some even had outgoings with no incomings. The mood around their place is going to be somber.
Your last paragraph sums it up so we’ve got to be very pleased with that. Let the battle commence!

Your opinion is perfectly fine - but when you claimed that "all neutrals" will rate a bunch of average Woolwich players over Spurs players - that's always going to be challenged.

Not my view that's Woolwich fans views - odd that you a Spurs fan rate them so much higher, but then if that's your opinion fair enough - don't wrongly claim everyone agrees with you, I can assure you they don't.

I said most neutrals, and I stand by it. I've seen these Woolwich players receive far more praise from neutral football fans than ours. They've got a lot more attention from football media as a whole, and I think if you ask the average football fan 'Tomiyasu or Emerson?' or 'Ben White or Dier?' you're only getting one answer most of the time.

The Woolwich counterparts are far from perfect players, but ours are mostly ones I've considered not good enough for years, so I have no qualms about not suddenly rating them when compared to Woolwich players.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion and in the case of Romero and Gabriel I have only watched them for 5-6 games. If I was to rate the back line in order I would go the below.

1 Romero
2 Gabriel
3 Dier
4 White
6 Tierney/Regulion (both have weaknesses)
7 Davies
8 Emerson/Tomiyasu

Not much difference to me. Big diff is the managers, Conte has had only a short time but I expect him to get more out of his defenders than Arteta.

I like Romero a lot and would expect him to be the best of the bunch, but don't think we can stick him at first based on what he's done in England so far. I also think Ben White>Dier as a modern defender, and expect the future England squads to reflect that.

(Oh, and it's a real shame we didn't have Conte in place during the summer ... if we do then I think we end up signing Tomiyasu as a RCB and he'd be fantastic in that role. As a RB/WB he doesn't offer enough but he's a very, very stable defender.)

I said most neutrals, and I stand by it. I've seen these Woolwich players receive far more praise from neutral football fans than ours. They've got a lot more attention from football media as a whole, and I think if you ask the average football fan 'Tomiyasu or Emerson?' or 'Ben White or Dier?' you're only getting one answer most of the time.

The Woolwich counterparts are far from perfect players, but ours are mostly ones I've considered not good enough for years, so I have no qualms about not suddenly rating them when compared to Woolwich players.
Fair enough - your opinion is perfectly valid. Even if it's wrong ;););)

Back
Top Bottom