January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Typical. Highlight reel makes player look better than he actually is

oh no you didnt GIF

I actually feel so liberated now we've got Ndombele, Lo Celso and Dele off the books, it's like we've been given a new lease of life, nothing worse than something or someone dragging you down that you can't get rid of, reckon this will give the manager and the players a big boost.

I actually feel so liberated now we've got Ndombele, Lo Celso and Dele off the books, it's like we've been given a new lease of life, nothing worse than something or someone dragging you down that you can't get rid of, reckon this will give the manager and the players a big boost.

What a waste of fucking talent though from those players. Still amazing to think of.

1 Dele was rated as a £80-100m during peak Pochettino years

2 Ndombele was in the French and Champions League team of the season, outstanding for Lyon and France

3 Lo Celso doing great for Real Betis

I don’t care who you are but 2-3 year ago you would never have thought all 3 would fail. Sod’s law.

He has fans who love him, because he took us from mediocrity and debt in 2001 and steadily improved our financial muscle so we can become a top club. We've been in the CL 5 times in the past 12 years and in the EL the rest. Clubs similar to us like Everton, Villa, Spam, Newcastle are still mired in mediocrity.

Have we done equally as well on the footballing front? No. But we're in a position now to do well, exactly because we have the financial muscle. There will be missteps along the way, but it's an upward trajectory. This shit doesn't happen overnight. It takes time. That's why some fans love him. Then there's the short-sighted bunch who would rather bankrupt the club to win a fucking FA cup. To them he's anathema. And when we start winning stuff, they'll probably also say it's in spite of Levy, completely ignoring the fact that it was his 20+ years in charge that put us in that position.

In my opinion, he's the best chairman we could have. He's not perfect and he fucks things up, but name me one other chairman over the past 20+ years that has done for his team as much as he has done for Spurs.
Well done for admitting it in the very first line. Lots refuse to admit there love of him despite the evidence.
Who will be the next to proclaim their love for levy…..
The barriers have been torn down!

‘We are In a position to do well’ is all I hear every season. Then it’s the same mistakes from levy & lack of backing/desire from enic & him to succeed. Obviously I totally disagree with you on your arguments. Leicester, city, Chelsea, Liverpool owners/chairman have done better in football terms which is what appeals to me the most. I think that’s the main difference why we see it differently. Some are in to the football side & get a kick out of that. The lovers are more in to the financial side & get a kick out of savings like the delight around the wage reduction yesterday.

Also they love the financial side but ignore the massive amounts of money levy has lost us. He has blown a fortune whilst also missing out on more income because of him. He’s crap on the financial side too as well as the football side. So suddenly the financial side isn’t as important when he is blowing it.

Last edited:
I don't think we'd ever have cleared so many out of the squad, never had a full season of new stadium and never gone into pre season with Conte.

If the same shit happens with all of those factors in play, there needs to be more than half a dozen plebs at the training ground protesting.
I think we will just say the same thing “no more excuses” if what you says happens again. Rather than “that’s it, time to go”

What a waste of fucking talent though from those players. Still amazing to think of.

1 Dele was rated as a £80-100m during peak Pochettino years

2 Ndombele was in the French and Champions League team of the season, outstanding for Lyon and France

3 Lo Celso doing great for Real Betis

I don’t care who you are but 2-3 year ago you would never have thought all 3 would fail. Sod’s law.
Outstanding for France? He’s had 7 caps since 2018

Wasn’t brilliant, but better than what expected. 6.5/10

Really? Better than you expected?

I mean we got 2 substitution players from last decade weakest Juventus side.
Did you expect no deals at all then?

I'd say it was 4,5/10.

Good -
- got rid of smell of shit in dressing room by shifting out Alli, Lo Celso and Ndombele
- best news obviously Lloris extention
- at least got some attacking threat in to replace the supposedly attacking-minded trio

Bad -
- no solution for the RWB situation
- no solution for Kane's workload in situation where he is gone in few months time - perfect time to even buy someone opportunistic, cause if it does not work then we still have Kane until summer
- purchased players with questionable quality
- addition to midfield is not enough as things stand - we still don't have enough progressive ability there

I mean I don't expect that we would have signed Rudiger, Mbappe and Kimmich. There were options going around for very attainable terms and clubs - to name some - Trippier, Eriksen, Weghorst, Guimares, Gosens, Zakaria, also many players with contracts ending that could helped us like Ginter, Kessie, Mazraoui etc.
If we look at our window and we would have added named Trippier and Weghorst into the equasion, I would have neem happy for example. Now we did something, but not enough considering the state of current squad.

Many blamed Rednapp, many Blamed Poch, many blamed Jose, many Blamed Nuno and many will blame Conté.

Stockholm syndrome. People feel sorry for Levy because Liverpool stole Diaz and Barca stole Traore. He is such a Great Chairman. He hired Conté. He showed us he really Loves us. Nuno over sold his CV to poor Levy. José publicly humiliates Levy. Poch was ungrateful and started to challenge him. Poor Levy. He built a stadium for us and then COVID came along......

Poor Levy he really cares about TFC
So true. They will just keep making excuses for him no matter how many more bad mistakes he makes that costs us. They love the guy.

But Tanguy and Celso will be back in july and we will have to hope they have done well enough for someone to bid for them. It may be that we take 25m for each . We are not getting anywhere near 50 for T@nguy.
On the books, with amortisation, Tanguy is valued at around 27m.

Liverpool offered more. That's the crux of the matter.
Report I read on the BBC last week said we had offered £38m with £10-15m in add on's, Liverpool offered £37.5m with £15m in add on's but they also had to give and £8m inital payment to make it work.

They had been monitoring the payer and expected to make a move in the summer but then we came and seriously looked like we could get him so they had to buy earlier than expected.

The player preferred Liverpool. Shit happens.

Its not like buying a packet of rice or loaf of bread from the supermarket where its a fixed price. Its like anything expensive in life - for us normal people, cars and houses. You see the price, put a lower offer in as you don't know what the seller really wants, they say no, you offer more until you reach an agreement or walk away.

I agree they have a slightly different approach. Both need players who will die for the cause. Both need specific players that are able to play counter attacking football.

Can't say one is better than the other. One is slightly more pleasing to watch.

In 2022, one gets results and one gets sacked.

I think we will just say the same thing “no more excuses” if what you says happens again. Rather than “that’s it, time to go”

It feels like they spent an inordinate amount of time getting us from WHL to the new stadium. And when we got there, the wheels fell of with Poch. But to be fair, we were probably ahead of plan being in a CL final before we'd even moved in to the new stadium
And then we moved in it and got set back an entire year immediately.

This is why I say - let's see what they do in the summer. To say its last chance saloon is an understatement.

Well he’s barely been in the squad since so to say he was outstanding is probably an exaggeration

Maybe that is a strong word but when we signed him he had come off a great season. Other fans from other clubs where very jealous we got him and always everyone on this board couldn’t believe we got him. That he decided to use his contract to be lazy and had terrible attitude well that is unfortunate. I guess that is why the likes of Osumne Dembele would not be good for us with his attitude as well.

Yea, I think that for the team morale it is positive shift.
But would have really preferred if we would have got more promising alternatives in as well.

This Bentacur+Kulusevski deal felt very much like shopping in the outlet store when current selection has been out for days already. It's not that we scouted, analyzed and chose those players as our first picks. Its more that they were offered and available and we took them from very willing seller for terms that is more benefitial for seller rather than the buyer.

And this has been the story with Spurs transfers for a long long time. No proactive planning. Not going after priority players. Negotiating to very max level for every player, regardless of their importance and value. Not planning for the future.

But would have really preferred if we would have got more promising alternatives in as well.

This Bentacur+Kulusevski deal felt very much like shopping in the outlet store when current selection has been out for days already. It's not that we scouted, analyzed and chose those players as our first picks. Its more that they were offered and available and we took them from very willing seller for terms that is more benefitial for seller rather than the buyer.

And this has been the story with Spurs transfers for a long long time. No proactive planning. Not going after priority players. Negotiating to very max level for every player, regardless of their importance and value. Not planning for the future.
This was my problem with Diaz is it was not that I did not want him I did but it felt like there was no planning when it came to targeting him. Even in the summer transfer window there seemed to be very little planning when it came to a lot of the signings. With Emerson I felt like Paratici went to Barcelona to sign a player any player it did not matter who that was why we tried to sign Illax Moriba first.

This was my problem with Diaz is it was not that I did not want him I did but it felt like there was no planning when it came to targeting him. Even in the summer transfer window there seemed to be very little planning when it came to a lot of the signings. With Emerson I felt like Paratici went to Barcelona to sign a player any player it did not matter who that was why we tried to sign Illax Moriba first.

Yea, 100% agreed with this.

That he went to Barca, asked for Moriba, he decided to go somewhere else, and then Paratici was like: "Well, but are there any other players that are useless for you and that we could maybe buy for high price? Ah, lad who has not even played 5 games for you. And you want 25 mil for him. I think that sounds like sweet deal. We'll take him!"

Yeah our strategy still needs a lot of work, people wanted us just to spend willy nily but I really don't trust the club to buy the right players at the moment, like for example you just know that anyone who is linked or brought by Liverpool, City or Leicester, you just know they're gonna be a hit because they all know what they're doing, with us there's always a question mark this needs to be worked on from now until Summer because it's imperative we sort hsis shit out, it's gone on for far too long.

Yeah our strategy still needs a lot of work, people wanted us just to spend willy nily but I really don't trust the club to buy the right players at the moment, like for example you just know that anyone who is linked or brought by Liverpool, City or Leicester, you just know they're gonna be a hit because they all know what they're doing, with us there's always a question mark this needs to be worked on from now until Summer because it's imperative we sort hsis shit out, it's gone on for far too long.

I’ve said this numerous times this window. It’s because we don’t scout. Those clubs do. Liverpool used to just use agents like us to identify and buy players but under Michael Edwards they stopped. We need to be clever, not just buy players off mates who are agents. Until that changes nothing will.

Back
Top Bottom